Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 03:20AM

I've been questioning mormonism for a long time, but I've actually started doing some research this week, and have been innocently planting seeds of knowledge for my active husband who is terrified when I shove anti-mormon things in his face.

We were watching a news segment about male politicians and sex scandals and people thinking they're above the law and I said "Wow, this reminds me of something I read - did you know that Joseph Smith's second wife was actually an 18-year-old girl living with the family? He got caught with her and THEN had that revelation about polygamy."

He said something about how great it is that we have imperfect leaders but I could tell he was thinking about it for the rest of the program. I'm hoping he'll go look it up and realize the girl was actually 16 and get even more of a shock.

Then yesterday I told him that we believe God actually slept with Mary, and when he freaked out and said no way was that true I said "Yeah, after people didn't like that idea church leaders changed it back to being figurative - the same way they changed doctrine about polygamy and blacks not having the priesthood and the Lamanites being Native Americans - if it freaks people out or no one gets it, it makes sense to change it."

He nodded and said "Yeah," then "Wait a second, no it doesn't. Why would God always be changing things just because they aren't popular?"

Then he said maybe we should skip church tomorrow and just hang out instead. I can't even say how hopeful and elated I am feeling at the end of this week. The doubts I had about this huge oppressive thing in my life are backed up by facts, on the lds website no less. And I am going to spend tomorrow with my husband instead of listening to craft ideas in RS.

Does anyone have any other cool facts I can drop into a conversation? I ham having too much fun with this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 03:27AM

He nodded and said "Yeah," then "Wait a second, no it doesn't. Why would God always be changing things just because they aren't popular?"

Yes! That is a good question!

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 06:43AM

I consider the Book of Abraham to be the most obviously damning piece of evidence. The apologist response is laughable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 09:46AM

You might have him read this webpage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham

Posted by: curiousgirl ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:02PM

I don't know anyone could know about the Book of Abraham and continue to believe. I'm nevermo but was totally surprised BY taught the "Adam God doctrine"... another unpopular teaching the LDS church changed.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 11:19AM

Compare the rituals of Masons and the temple clothes/symbols. rituals and The Kirkland Bank Scandal. JS was a lying, sociopathic, con artist and a pedophile. End of discussion.

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 11:38AM

Kinderhook plates are fun.
Adam-God theory
Quakers on the moon.
No steel or horses in ancient America.
No linguistic relationship between native American and middle eastern languages.
John Taylor's lies about polygamy.
Joseph Smith's lies about polygamy.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 12:26PM

Can you apply references to John Taylor's lies about polygamy?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 12:27PM

Tell him about the brothels on church properties from 1885 to 1943 or thereabouts. D. Michael Quinn found this lovely gem.

Posted by: curiousgirl ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:07PM

there is a really good polygamy timeline on this site: http://www.mormonhandbook.com/ Lots and lots of lieing goin on.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 12:12PM

My favorite is Brother of Jared needing glowing stones to have light in the barges "because the waves will crash against the windows and break them out" (Book of Ether).

Guess what, glass wasn't invented for another thousand years.

Not only is the text wrong but the entire CONTEXT of the conversation couldn't have possibly ever happened.

This one is ideal for the TBMs who say that horses are misinterpreted llamas and that swords were just PAINTED shiny but were really wood, and stuff like that.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:08PM

Wow, just wow. I am so impressed, losinglisa. Usually we are too outraged to use time as an ally.

What you've done here is to allow your husband to discover relevant facts on your own without doing a core dump of the lies you discovered. NOTE: this requires TREMENDOUS self-control.

You also spaced the comments over days, allowing him to absorb the implications of the information, which is always more important than the actual information.

You trusted him enough to let him suggest how your attendance might change.

You deserve to feel high over the careful way you've handled this situation, which has destroyed families just like yours. Congratulations!

Anagrammy

Date: June 19, 2011 01:13PM

One of the simpler things to bring up is the Hoffman fraud.

Since Mormons believe the current leadership is superior to previous revelations by former prophets and apostles, the members are relying on the GA's to steer the boat right, correct?

If that's true, why didn't the prophet recognize that Mark Hofmann was the Lord's true document forger? Can't say he was acting as a man when he bought the forged documents to keep them from the public.

And by the way, why is it necessary to keep the writings of the inspired Prophet of the Revelation, the Praise to the Man guy, the dude who we all just love, to keep his writings from the people of god? Why?

Oh, yeah, because his statements were for his day only. Super, toss out the entire D&C then.

Anagrammy

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:18PM

I would say back off for a little while and let this digest. My dh didn't want to hear stuff i found ( he said he didn't have the energy to fit thisinto his life at the time because he was srill getting used to his new job) so i just read him funny things off this site, or stuff missionaries said about how horrible their missions were and then asked him if his experience was like that. Just little things at a time, then pop in a big one once in a while. After a year or so of that -or has it been 2?- he considers himself a non mormon too. I used the glass stuff and the horses being tapirs, stuff that is hard to dispute as it is fact.

My sister went on mormon think because she liked seeing both sides of the arguement and deciding for herself. so every one is different.

Be patient. If you go too fast he may quickly back track to the familiar, whick his that anything against the church is anti and you are evil bringing it into the house.

good luck on both your journeys out!

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2011 01:31PM

out, life's great and Mormonism is now 11 years in the rear view mirror.

Just a note of caution. TAKE IT SLOW! Rome wasn't built in a day and it takes time for a lifetime of indoctrination to be overcome.

Date: June 19, 2011 02:35PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.