Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 10:37PM

...Shopping Malls & Condos & Cattle Ranches & Hunting Preserves & Senior Housing etc etc etc???

If I'da known ALL that I could've easily invested my OWN TITHING $$$ in an appropriate Mutual Fund and reaped my OWN rewards on MY OWN money.

If one actually thinks and extrapolates on the opportunity cost of paying tithing to Mormonism the results are at the least bewildering and at the most horrific!!!

Can YOU even identify in your OWN life the opportunity cost of paying Tithing over the X-amount of years you paid it to Mormonism???

Enquiring minds want to know!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:42PM

I never thought tithing was used for humanitarian or other "welfare" purposes. I understood that fast offering money was the source for the bishop's storehouse and similar support for the needy. I also knew that the church gave very, very little to other organizations financially. The church, I believed, was supposed to take care its own members. Members, of course, were supposed to take care of themselves to the best of their abilities before asking for help from the church. And, they should expect to work for what they did get. No "handouts" from the church at all to anyone.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 10:29AM

The TSCC also strongly discourages asking for help from the church... if you can't take care of yourself and family you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get with it... and pay your tithe... how can the MorgCo keep it's profits high if it is involved with charity work? That would be unthinkable!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 01:29PM

For some time now, the Mormon church has been shifting tithes + fast offerings into projects that will make them money.

Mormon leaders know full well that the day will come quickly when people will not pay tithes out of obedience and fear.

The Mormon church knows it cannot continue to demand free work and money from members by referring to the Book of Mormon, which is a provable fraud.

Smart people avoid Mormonism and its fictional book.
Those who continue to pay and obey are SOL

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 03:23PM

They say they are doing good
And hope people believe them

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 03:34PM

There's a lot of work that needs to be done at apartments, office towers and shopping malls. Helping the poor and the needy doesn't help the church that much.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:02AM

That's what happens when any "non-profit" becomes to big... the focus shifts from its intended purpose to just keeping the machine oiled...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 11:58AM

They certainly wouldn't jump in to correct the misconception. Of course anyone who looks into it knows that tithing goes for real estate, to pay off lawyers, and to pay for travel and living arrangements for those in power.

What else? Anything and everything except charity.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 01:48PM

For how much they are going to be spending on the new temple thing downtown its just horrifying. The current complex is fine, more than adequate. One of the biggest pits is cougar football. I was reading the other day that most colleges lose money on their varsity sports teams. They have to have it for prestige, so that the admin can have their special projects and get their recognition for building more buildings.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 01:55PM

I never assumed or anticipated that a so-called prophet of God, of a church allegedly led by Jesus, would give a dedicatory prayer to a bank.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700032512/President-Thomas-S-Monson-dedicates-Zions-Bank-Financial-Center.html

Didn't Jesus allegedly say these things?

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 01:57PM by mikemitchell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.