Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 08:14PM

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/gifting-circle-scam-could-see-2m-in-losses-across-western-canada-1.4409849

I don't know the accused personally but his sister is married to my cousin. He's from a prominent Mormon family from Cardston. I believe he was part of a (mostly LDS) investor group who lost a ton of $$'s in a failed condo development scheme in West Lethbridge over a decade ago. Looks like he was trying to make it all back by scamming other Mormons. Typical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 08:16PM

Beware of anyone looking for "investors".

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 06:10AM

Real Estate is normally a good investment. Just look at TSCC. Except for the 2008 crash when everyone lost their butts. I don’t know whether we’ve recovered or become Japanified.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:19PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Real Estate is normally a good investment. Just
> look at TSCC. Except for the 2008 crash when
> everyone lost their butts. I don’t know whether
> we’ve recovered or become Japanified.

You're turning Japanese, I really think so.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:09AM

It's hard to believe that anyone who paid into it could have believed that it was a legitimate investment scheme. If I was inclined to place a bet, I would bet that most of the participants were betting on the odds that there would be enough downline players to keep the scheme going long enough for them to cash out. The obvious fact that at some point there would be a collection of players paying in and getting nothing back probably didn't bother them at all.

Unless they were preying on mentally ill people or lying about the nature of the scheme, it could plausibly be characterized as a victimless crime. Of course if the managers of the scheme didn't follow the "rules" of the scheme and simply pocketed all the money, it would clearly be a case of fraud.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 01:18AM

investment scheme that is quite traditional in East Asian societies.

The idea is that a circle is formed and everyone contributes a certain amount each month. One member of the circle is then given the monthly pool to use to invest in a business or business improvements. That member is expected to contribute the fixed monthly contribution that other members make PLUS repayment in installments of the pool amount that she was given. The idea is then that the size of the monthly pool is a bit bigger each month, so that the longer you wait your turn the bigger pile you will get for your own investment.

Apparently, the scheme often worked out quite well and was a good source of seed money for many kinds of small businesses. But as populations became more mobile and it was easier to leave one's community and move to another country or distant location, the scheme became more and more unreliable due to circle members running away with the loot and being impossible to find.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:43AM

It sounds like your basic chain letter. Send in $1, get back hundreds! I can't believe that people are still falling for this sort of thing.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:49AM

People will fall for anything. Ever been to Utah?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 07:59PM by kathleen.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:52AM

Lol, yes, but I somehow managed to avoid the MLM crowd. For that matter, teachers often like to engage in MLMs as well. Anything to make an extra buck.

Posted by: soab boy ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 04:52PM

Just curious if this is another southern alberta stalward.

Not familiar enough with Stirling other than to know it's still significantly mormon.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/lethbridge-news/2019/05/03/former-school-secretary-pleads-guilty-to-theft/

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 05:36PM

Stirling is VERY Mormon. It's 12 miles SE of me and is the easternmost town in our Moridor. And her surname is from an old line pioneer Mormon family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.