Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:08PM

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2018/09/22/native-american-tribal-members-sexual-abuse-mormon-church/1399154002/

Apparently, only one case remains pending in court, and it's in the State of Washington, whereas these newly settled cases were filled in Navajo tribal court, where the church's lack of clout had to scare them.

NDAs galore, so we won't ever hear any details.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:39PM

"The lawsuits sought monetary damages, written apologies and a guarantee that Mormon leaders would report suspected abuse. Vernon said his clients did not receive an apology and church policies remain unchanged."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:41PM

They don't "do" apologies. Just ask Judge Oaks.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:18PM

Apologies are admissions of guilt, which opens them to more suits.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:56PM

Indian Placement Program......brings back a memory. We had an Indian girl come stay in our home when I was about 7 years old. She choked me almost to unconsciousness on two occasions.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 04:55PM

There's one aspect of this I don't understand. I thought the Indian Placement Program put the children in with white families, yet the decision ks made by the Navajo Court. Were they placed with LDS Navajo families instead?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:11PM

It's called venue shopping. Of course the church objected, but lost on appeal.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:49PM

From the posted article:

"The people accused of abuse were associated with host families, not church leaders.
A federal judge in Utah previously denied a request from Mormon church lawyers who wanted the cases to be tried in Salt Lake City because the allegations did not involve any abuse on tribal land.

A tribal judge said the Navajo court has jurisdiction because the program was based on the reservation that extends into Utah, Arizona and New Mexico".

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 05:28AM

That is the part which confuses me. I thought:

* Hosts were based off reservation.
* Hosts were not Navajo or native American.

If these are the case, how does the Navajo court have jurisdiction? Is it because the victims were Navajo?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 05:27PM

I called out 'church spokesman' Eric Hawkins for one of his LIES about a month ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me.

Should I re-sent my letter? Should I call him on the phone?

It was his statement that ChurchCo doesn't tolerate abuse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 05:36PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 08:06PM

Won't do any good.

We all know the church tolerates abuse even encourages it.

Abuse is a fundamental church doctrine. Having adults inquire into the sexual activities, sexual thoughts and tendencies of children continues with full church support.

Anything that will tarnish the name or image of the church is covered up. The church defends the abusers and takes anyone that speaks out to court to silence them, smear their names or sue them.

Calling out a spokesman won't change it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:09PM

Right? I read somewhere that not once in a judge in Utah's career had he heard from a bishop testifying for a victim. Not once.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:07PM

I always felt bad for the kids and there were plenty where I lived in Brigham City. I also felt bad for the kids at the Intermountain Indian School. It is about completely torn down these days. It was obvious to me that many families had placement students to babysit their hoard of children.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.