Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:36PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/06/16/when-did-lds-church-know/

>But Joseph L. Bishop admitted that during his tenure as Missionary Training Center president for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he asked to see a female missionary’s breasts and she complied. He has also said he touched another female missionary inappropriately during a back rub.

>Those encounters are already publicly known.

>But a long sought-after police recording recently obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune offers new details about this controversy, including that Bishop says he immediately told his church leaders about his inappropriate behavior — and still maintained his position of power.

>“Did you stay on as president, after you had [confessed]?” an officer asks in the recording.

>“Yes,” Bishop responds.

>“So you continued with your duties as the MTC president?”

>“Mhhmm,” Bishop responds in the affirmative.

>Bishop’s assertion that he had confessed to his ecclesiastical leaders in the 1980s contradicts an earlier statement from church officials, who have said they first became aware of the allegations in 2010. This admission could have an impact on Denson’s lawsuit against the LDS Church — a legal action that is on the rocks after her attorneys suddenly quit the case.

It is unfortunate that the victim in this case has so little credibility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 11:59PM

Yup.

Denson has very little credibility left. But her recording of her conversation with Bishop includes damning admissions by him, and here he confirms a lot of it to the police. Despite what his valiant RfM defenders say, the man reeks. There are almost certainly other victims out there. It remains to be seen if any of them feel the cost-benefit balance favors going public.

Meanwhile the church has serious legal and political exposure here. Knowing what many of us know personally of the church's behavior in other cases of sexual and other abuse, I doubt the church has much more credibility than Denson--or, frankly, Bishop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2019 12:01AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:25PM

I have never believed the rape claim because for some reason Denson's facial expressions and voice tone gave her away to me as lying. It's something I can't explain, except I remember being around a couple of mentally ill people when I was young, who had similar expressions.

I do believe the molestings happened, however. That's terrible enough, but there are many icky molesters who do not take it all the way.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:45PM

It is possible that any mental illness Denson has is resultant from her abuse.

As Mrs Lot says, the taped confession is very damning.

However, if Denson is a fantasist at all then there are worse out there. The story in this link gets wilder and wilder, but are several details which suggest this was written by a non-member.

http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/religion/lds/ldsritualabuse.shtml

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 09:58PM

That all sounds crazy to me.

I realize that McKena Denson may be mentally ill because of childhood abuse,but I find it extremely difficult to feel sorry for someone who is willing to put innocent men in jail(she has made other rape claims and I fear she may claim it from NewName Noah)or rips money from good people with false claims of cancer. Now victims of rape or cancer will find it harder to get help. Who knows what she will pull next, and who will be the victim. Some scams take place off-line.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 11:50PM

I don't know how much of what Denson has claimed is actually true. It does seem, however, that something inappropriate happened between Bishop and Denson, and the Church looked the other way. How high up the leadership ladder the "looking the other way" climbed is the question that is critical to this whole situation. IMO the top 15 would love to be able to place all the blame on local leaders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.