Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 05:54PM

The Miss USA contestants chime in with their two cents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBmhM0R2A0

Didn't watch them all, but I don't think I heard a single answer that made me happy. Lots of the answers tread all over separation of church and state issues (especially the ones that recommend religion should be taught in schools - that makes me choke). In the ones I watched separation of church and state was not even mentioned.

Of course, only Miss Utah talks about people "being offended" by the others views (roll my eyes).

The most shocking thing was how little critical thinking is going on. Of course, I realize it's a beauty contest and they are mostly trying to say things that will advance their chance for winning.

What I wanted to hear in their answers was that we should teach science in schools which is the pursuit of advancing our knowledge based on facts. Evolution fits solidly into that paradigm. Creationism requires a leap of faith and that is the domain of religion, so that should be taught there and not in schools.

Of course, a general overview of the evolution/creationism debate can and should be discussed in a social studies class, but creationism is not relevant to a science class since a scientific basis cannot be established for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 05:56PM

No.

Ron

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 06:01PM

Are these girls trying to demonstrate how evolution has failed them?

Date: June 20, 2011 06:14PM

that there's a whole lot of plastic surgery, hair dye, makeup, etc. captured on that piece of video, BUT evolution has given them all a pretty good starting point. ;-)

Date: June 20, 2011 06:15PM

I wasn't referring to their looks.

Date: June 20, 2011 06:21PM

What were you referring to?

Date: June 20, 2011 06:26PM

Intelligence is also a function of evolution. Humanity's biggest evolutionary advantage, in fact. Unfortunately, it's a slow and imprecise process.

Some of these girls are probably bright enough, but the things most of them were saying made my head explode.

The common sentiment had nothing to do with learning to evaluate evidence and argument to come to a rational conclusion. I kept hearing the phrase "decide to believe"

And the O/P was right about the girl from Utah. Her whole motive appeared to be trying not to offend anyone.

Date: June 20, 2011 06:28PM

To be fair, I realize that they are very young, and will probably look back with a cringe as I have on many things I said at that age.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 06:22PM

No, and neither should the "theory" of gravity unless they're willing to also teach intelligent falling alongside it. TEACH THE CONTROVERSY!

The theory of gravity is detrimental to our children's faith! They should be taught that many faithful scientists agree that there is plenty of evidence that intelligent falling is the reason we stay on the ground. The flying spaghetti monster is holding us down with his many noodly appendages. That's why chinese are so short. They live in the land of noodles, therefore they are more spiritual, therefore the Flying Spaghetti Monster's presence is more profound and they are held down to the ground even stronger.

There's so much evidence for intelligent falling I'm amazed they still teach the "theory" of gravity in schools. Ramen.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 06:36PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 06:37PM

It's that the universe and everything in it is constantly expanding, so when you jump up, you and the earth get bigger, closing up the space between, until you touch again.

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 10:13PM

Makes sense to me!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 20, 2011 06:33PM

We'll allow prayer in school when public school teachers are allowed into Sunday Schools to teach evolution. M'kay?

And yet, christians still flaunt their butthurt about being "persecuted". Gag.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:42AM

Evolution is the only "theory" that provides testable and falsifiable hypotheses. Evolution has been shown to be the best fit for explaining diversity time and time again. The only reason to question evolution is a dramatic lack of scientific understanding.

EDIT - why is my spellign so terrible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 11:42AM by Truthseeker.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:51AM

When learning science, you should be teached the current consensus amongst actual scientists in the field. In biology that happens to be theory of evolution (as it has been the last 150 years) just as in cosmology it's big-bang theory. End of discussion. Now if you choose to not believe in science that's another matter, but atleast you should be educated in the basics of what it is you reject.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:56PM

"What I wanted to hear in their answers was that we should teach science in schools which is the pursuit of advancing our knowledge based on facts. Evolution fits solidly into that paradigm. Creationism requires a leap of faith and that is the domain of religion, so that should be taught there and not in schools.

Of course, a general overview of the evolution/creationism debate can and should be discussed in a social studies class, but creationism is not relevant to a science class since a scientific basis cannot be established for it."

Well said, mrtranquility! Good job.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.