Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 08:35AM

I know this is true... Only joking, I do not believe unicorns are real. I do however believe the old stories of unicorns go back to certain real animals such as ibex, goats, narwhal, rhino etc but that is another matter.

So for the hard of thinking, I have to put a disclaimer down that this os posted just for fun, not personal endorsement.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/03/strange-encounters-with-unicorns/

The Greek historian Herodotus also wrote about the “horned ass” of Africa in the 3rd century BC. Other travelers such as Pliny the Elder, as well as Marco Polo, who called them “ugly brutes,” would also write of encountering unicorns during their journeys.

--

Sporadic sightings of supposed unicorns have have continued right up into the modern day. In 1991, the renowned Austrian naturalist Antal Festetics allegedly saw a unicorn while filming a wildlife documentary in the Harz Mountains. He claimed in an interview with Die Ganze Woch magazine that he had been out on horseback one evening when he saw something he would never forget. He would say:

"Suddenly a unicorn came towards me at a gallop. There was a glow of light around the animal. My horse reared and almost threw me. Then, just as quickly, it was gone."

He would tell this account more than once, and Festetics even said that he had videotaped the creature, although it is unknown where this footage got off to, and it never did make it into his documentary that he had been filming at the time.

Speaking of photographic evidence, there have been several supposed photos and videos of unicorn sightings that have come out over the years. In 1968, a Robert Vavra claimed:

"My first face-to-face encounter with a unicorn took place in a Mexican jungle near Tamazunchale in the spring of 1968. The one photograph that I was able to snap is reproduced on this page. This picture, as the reader can see, is so blurry and nondescript that had I attempted to publish it at the time, I would have been considered as much a crank or hoaxter as those persons who occasionally submit to the press out – of – focus, suspect"

A video of a supposed unicorn was taken in 2010 in the wetlands of the Don Valley, near Toronto, Ontario, Canada by a local birdwatcher named Peter Hickey-Jones. The video seems to show a white horse with a single horn emerge from the trees gallop though a creek and disappear into the woods again, and this footage was then purportedly submitted to the Ontario Science Center for analysis. When this video began making the rounds on the Internet it created quite a stir, and not surprisingly many immediately claimed it to be a hoax...

---

Even more recently is a sighting made in the highlands of Wick in Caithness, Scotland, in 2014. The unidentified witness claims that he was out hiking near the Castle of Old Wick when he saw what he described as “basically a horse with a horn,” which wandered off towards Loch Hempriggs, to the south of the town.

At the time the sighting became big news in the area, even spawning plans to launch a “unicorn safari” for any curiosity seekers that came in to investigate

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:17PM

Considering their relative beauty and power, it's strange that unicorns never gained the popularity of the Sasquatch among purveyors of the paranormal. And if I were going to hallucinate something, it wouldn't be a giant, hairy (and probably smelly) primate.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:34PM

Given Joseph Smith's success with God sighting I would expect more people to claim that.

Date: June 27, 2019 06:42AM

lurking in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Considering their relative beauty and power, it's
> strange that unicorns never gained the popularity
> of the Sasquatch among purveyors of the
> paranormal. And if I were going to hallucinate
> something, it wouldn't be a giant, hairy (and
> probably smelly) primate.

Humans eh? I suppose it says everything about us... We could see angels, but we tend to see angels and demons, and instead of some fantastic bird of paradise we hallucinate dwarfs who come from space to stick things up our anuses!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 03:28PM

I saw a unicorn at the end of a rainbow. Bigfoot was riding it and a flying saucer was hovering overhead with a speaker blasting out "we're here to serve man."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 27, 2019 07:41AM

Don't forget that unicorns fart rainbows.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2019 10:24AM

I love the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table so much that I named one of my children after one of the knights.

That's the Irish/Welsh/Scottish and British in my DNA me thinks. Now if I had of known then that I was nearly 40% Swiss w/German per my DNA revised test, who knows what else I may have conjured up? But I didn't. Such is the life ...

The name fits ... like the name my parents gave me that I eventually grew into ... (Greek that was.)

There are actual stories of unicorns and King Arthur. This one is from the fourteenth century!

http://www.unicorngarden.com/arthur.htm

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 02:03AM

What's the difference between a "story" and an "actual story"?

Or are you stating that the story "actually" happened?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 07:11AM

In one of the actual stories there was a certain court jester named elderolddog, in King Arthur's court.

He chased his tail for hours getting nowhere, while no one took notice except for the silly grin on his face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 07:13AM by Amyjo.

Date: July 04, 2019 07:29AM

https://www.unicornsrule.com/are-unicorns-real/

"Have you ever been in a forest that was eerily void of animals? Chances are you were in forest protected by unicorns. There may have been hunters or otherwise ill-intentioned humans in other parts of the forest at that time. Unicorns protect forest creatures from ill-intentioned humans by making them invisible."

Well that explains part of the First Vision. But did JS see a unicorn?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:30PM

off topic

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:35PM

There were pony rides at a local Fourth of July picnic, and one of them was a unicorn with a pretty pink saddle. Some of the more cynical of you would suggest that it was a regular pony with a fake horn on the harness, but I witnessed it with my spiritual eyes, and believe it with every fiber of my being.

Date: July 06, 2019 06:00AM

Hervey Willets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There were pony rides at a local Fourth of July
> picnic, and one of them was a unicorn with a
> pretty pink saddle. Some of the more cynical of
> you would suggest that it was a regular pony with
> a fake horn on the harness, but I witnessed it
> with my spiritual eyes, and believe it with every
> fiber of my being.

I saw one at a county fair a few years ago. Photographed it too. Even though its horn was falling off, I know it was a twoo unicorn. :)

Posted by: tenaciousdeb ( )
Date: July 07, 2019 09:10AM

After all the things I’ve seen I don’t doubt it . We live in a multi dimensional universe. In this particular dimension it is my testimony!!! Out of the many unexplainable, Ive seen UFO , ET(Nordic humanoid) and a man in 70s suit walk though a wall and out the other end unaware I could see him. So yes Unicorns are real ... In fact I love unicorns so much I have an artist rendition of one in my living room , no joke lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 09:13AM by tenaciousdeb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.