Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 03:09AM

Recently talking to my brother and sister,tbm"s, If there was absolute proof that the church was false, Would they want to know. I shouldnt be surprized, but they both said NO, they wouldnt want to know, How crazy can people be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 03:10AM

let sleeping dogs lie!

You know with the money troubles it is going to come to a head.

I would like to know what they think about GOD needing a mall, condos and the like?

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 03:51AM

It shows that they don't really care whether it's true or not, they just want to stick with what they're used to and what has worked for them in their lives so far. It might even mean that deep down, they know it's not true. If so, I'd feel sorry for them, because that's not an easy way to live.

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 10:35AM

And these are bright, educated, successful people. Indoctrination is so powerful.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 10:38AM

They're too afraid of what might happen, so they choose to grin & bear false testimony.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 10:50AM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 10:54AM

Every TBM I have ever asked that question has given me the same answer, so what you say comes as no surprise.

Because of that very answer, the mormon church will be around a long, long time. Most people choose comfort and familiarity over truth that may come at a price. I agree, totally crazy. I, for one, paid a huge price, and still it was worth it. To be set free from all of the lies, deceit, and demands.

"The truth will set you free" is a true statement for sure, but no one ever said it would be easy or without pain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 11:08AM by think4u.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:04AM

I think he's pretty sure the church is a hoax but he keeps going because he believes it's a good social program. He says he feels comforted with the service and the music at the Mormon church and at home there so he doesn't want to go anywhere else. But he goes with me for my sake every other Sunday to other churches. I'm sure he wouldn't want to know if I hadn't told he because he's comfortable where he is and doesn't care what price he has to pay to stay there. Nor does he care if it's true or he's doing what God wants him to. He figures it's good enough. I really don't understand this phenomenon any better than you, but it's out there and it's common.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:06AM

This has been the biggest shocker since my eyes were opened. I would have always and forever said "yes." As young as 12 I told myself that I had to be willing to accept that another church was true in order to be honest about my search for a testimony. I had to be willing to abandon the church if it was false and seek another true one.

Unfortunately I became convinced of TSCC's method of truth-seeking in my teenage years after personal experiences and confirmations. But even while I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the COJCOLDS was the only true and living church on the face of the earth and that would never change, I still constantly told myself that if I discovered that it wasn't true, I would be willing to change. I had to be willing to do what I perceived that others needed to do in order to be saved - change beliefs.

I was disgusted when my second mission companion said to me one day something like "I don't blame everyone for rejecting us. I wouldn't let us in if I were them either! I wouldn't let a couple of guys come into my house and teach me about their church!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I would! How else can you possibly expect to find the truth unless you give every point of view a try? I would let anyone with a religious message into my house. Of course they would leave disappointed when I showed them the proof that my church was true, but I would certainly give them a fighting chance. I'd be a hypocrite otherwise.

It's not hard to see, then, how and why I eventually left the church. But I'm still baffled at how people think they're so committed to the truth, but have such a just-plain-stupid approach to it. I could never have understood that mentality, and even after decades of being around people like that I still can't wrap my head around it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:10AM

I bear my testimony that the words of Brother Kimball are true.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:11AM

There is no way you can search everyone's different idea of truth. At some point you either settle on something or give up. Most Mormons have settled on Mormonism and don't see any good reason to question their positive experiences.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:10AM

I guess that's why I'm out. I was TBM and WANTED the church to be true, but truth was more important to me. Let the chips fall where they may was my philosophy.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 11:15AM

"Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.".

1 Thessalonians 5:21

They don't really believe it already because their views are self-contradictory.

HH. =)

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 12:36PM

I've decided that if the GF ever asks me about my issues with the church that I need to ask her this first. Because if she wouldn't want to know then there's no point in getting into it, and she'll probably just get upset with me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.