Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:14PM

There were about eight Mormon missionaries in front of the Palace Theatre in Manchester while the BoM Musical was playing inside.

While the BoM is definitely a fraud and the musical is brilliant, I thought it was ballsy to set up right outside the theatre to softly counter the negative (deservedly) impact on the church's reputation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:17PM

My wife and I went to see KISS in Portland Oregon a few months ago. 3 guys that looked like knucklehead supremacists were in front of the doors with a large banner all about how evil KISS was, and Satan wants you, and believe in Jesus, etc.

It was really weird. They looked like they would beat you up if you said you didn't believe.

KISS was good though :)

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:19PM

This was tonight and apparently the missionaries are there every night.The musical is playing in June to July here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:21PM

I understand that this is SOP. They offer the departing attendees a BMof, with the clever-boots challenge, "You've seen the play, so now why not read the book!?"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 07:59PM

This is proof that a living prophet guides the Church. There have been thousands of conversions as a result of this strategy. The faith-promoting Boner.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 09:50PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that this is SOP. They offer the departing attendees a BMof, with the clever-boots challenge, "You've seen the play, so now why not read the book!?"

When I left the theater they asked if I wanted a BofM. I said, "No...but if you have a Book of Arnold I'll take that." They got a confused look on their face so I said, "Thanks anyway...have a good night...Oh, and Hasa Diga." LOL!!!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 02, 2019 11:53PM

Hasa Diga Ebowai. . .

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 12:02AM

The missionaries are no doubt thrilled that they have something that might be a tiny bit entertaining, camping out in front of the theater, as opposed to having to come up with something to do to occupy their time night after night.

Anything to avoid "tracting"!!

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 04:56AM

Every time I search for the Book of Mormon online I get the musical coming up. I've watched clips of it on Youtube. Looks awful, but then again I'm not into faux operetta.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 05:05AM

Just a quick question: is this Manchester UK or Manchester US?

Edited to add: sorry, I should have known from the spelling ;-) It's in the UK...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 05:07AM by Soft Machine.

Date: July 03, 2019 06:46AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> Just a quick question: is this Manchester UK or
> Manchester US?
>
> Edited to add: sorry, I should have known from the
> spelling ;-) It's in the UK...

Probably the English one, it's the most significant.

Although I could be wrong. There is a Washington and a Boston in England and both of them are pretty small compared with their American namesakes.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 12:57PM

Washington is a new "town" in County Durham made up mostly of housing developments while Boston in Lincolnshire predates the US city of the same name. It has a population around 36,000.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 06:43AM

I was wondering the same thing. There’s a Manchester in NH , USA also. I think they have a Palace Theatre also.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 08:50AM

There are two very fine football clubs there -- Manchester City and Manchester United. I wonder if the missionaries ever get to attend a game. What a pity to spend so much time in the area and never visit either stadium.

Date: July 03, 2019 10:18AM

summer Wrote:
> There are two very fine football clubs there --
> Manchester City and Manchester United. I wonder if
> the missionaries ever get to attend a game. What a
> pity to spend so much time in the area and never
> visit either stadium.

Some decent fine art galleries too by the way. Many years since I was last there, but I'm sure they're still around.

Very weird accent though.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: July 03, 2019 11:13AM

After the musical ends I'm sure various people explain the song "Hasa Diga Eebowai" and challenge the missionaries to say it then perhaps they will take one a book of mormon home with them (throw in the trash on the way to the car of course).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.