Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olive ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:21PM

My mil for the past few years has given our son a savings bond for birthdays and christmas. She has asked my husband for our sons ss# to put the bond in his name. I never really liked it before but when she asked about it for his birthday which was last week I told husband not to give it to her since she can buy one without it. Husband has been beating around the bush with her though and now shes texting and calling him about 4 times a day demanding the ss#. This lady knows all 6 of her childrens socials by heart and Ive suspected in the past that shes used it to get information because some stuff she knows she wouldnt unless she was using it.

Am I right not to give it to her? Ive heard of people stealing socials and since he is only 2 its nit like we run credit checks to make sure his isnt being used. I dont think Imm being unreasonable but she seems to think I am.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:24PM

many mormons have shown NO boundaries when it comes to THEIR ETERNAL FAMILIES!!if it is not needed.... dont give it!! JMHO!!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:31PM

Maybe one of those college funds - 529s?

Tell her you want to keep his money consolidated.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:38PM

I'd be paranoid too. There is no reason to give it to her. If the hubby can't stand up to her have him "pass the buck." He can say that he has had a friend in finance tell him not to give the kids SS# out to anyone.

No way can she have it.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 02:51PM

She has ZERO need for it. I have some of my grandkids but it is because I help do the taxes. Given some of the other things she has done I would worry. And I would not be sure she would keep the info secure.

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 04:01PM

Ok I was starting to feel like I was being out of line about refusing it. I am concerned about her using it for whatever reasin but her new husband also dies background checks on people for companies and works from home so Im assuming that he has the software there as well. Also her house is always unlocked. There have been many times when we have stopped by to find the garage door open or the front and/ or back doors unlocked. Her purse was stolen from her car because she left it unlocked as well. So in terms of safeguarding important things she doesnt get high marks. I told husband that he is more than welcome to have her take it up with me because I will tell her why she may not just expect something as important as a ss# on demand.

Oh and thanks for the idea about opening a seperate acct and have her just deposit it into the acct. I will definitely look into it.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 04:13PM

my Saturday morning sewing shows on PBS were swapped with Suzie Ormand (sp?) the $ gal and she was asked a question about kids money and she recommended the 529thingie too.

There is just no reason that MIL needs the SS and it makes me wonder why she wants it SO MUCH?

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 07:45PM

I've bought savings bonds for other people's kids in the past. You can list YOUR OWN ss#, the recipient's number is needed only when cashed in. I wouldn't give her the #, as this gives her the opportunity to track the child for his whole life. What is almost ok today may not be in the future.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 08:00PM

It's crazy she is demanding his ss. Don't give it to her. No explanation necessary. Identity theft is the fastest growing crime.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 08:31PM

I was very uneasy giving them but we did it anyway; they used them to form a limited partnership where we pay taxes on money we never see. I gave into this against my better judgement and not wanting to cause a problem in the family.

Years later they asked for our youngest's and I flat our refused.

out

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 09:20PM

I see this less as a financial and family issue and more of a power and control issue. Do NOT give it to her - there is no reason for her to have it, and if you hand it over she has "won", at least in her mind.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 09:36PM

are you kidding me - tell her to bugger off, she does not need it nor is it any of her biz. Just sayin

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.