Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 11:41AM

Came across some stats from 1961 and found this on singing mothers.

In 1960 there were 3052 choruses with 49,564 members
In 1961 there were 2599 choruses with 41,124 members

I don't remember much about these groups. I vaguely remember our stake having a chorus.

Anybody remember or were in this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 03:50PM

A woman had to have reproduced to join their chorus? Talk about feeling the spirit of priesthood power. Dance monkeys, dance, er, I mean sing mother, sing!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 03:59PM

My grandmother was a part of this group and yes like EB said only mothers were allowed. I recall hearing that some women didn't have kids but special exceptions were made. The church actually bend over backwards to allow one or two single women to sing as well. Then in the 80's the name was dropped sometime after or during ERA.

Date: July 19, 2019 05:58PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church actually
> bend over backwards to allow one or two single
> women to sing as well.

The church will do what they Dew.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 09:10PM

Love it! That's very clever :)

Date: July 22, 2019 11:29AM

Thanks. I find it ironic and Dew is held up as a progressive standard for Mormon women. She is far removed from them mentally I think. I read an LDSLiving article about her. She sounds like she could identify as a man as much as a woman.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 06:02PM

These particular women may have been going rogue in some sort of throwback mode rather than having been officially sanctioned, but we had an LDS group of women in my area about four years ago who called themselves "The Singing Mothers" and performed Christmas songs at local schools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 06:07PM by scmd1.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 10:38PM

My mom was in a Singing Mothers group, according to his picture, in January 1957. I was soon to be 8 years old and I remember her going to rehearsals in a church close to home. Don't know how they were chosen, I do remember that she was gone to practice a few times but they didn't go to the Tabernacle until the day of.

We looked for her on TV and I think she told us that she was on the right side about half way up but we never could decide where she was, nor could she. I think she was chosen simply because she was friendly with a woman in our stake; mom loved singing in church choirs. She was one of 4 or 5 women in our stake.

https://imgur.com/a/11zKFUP

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.