Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 05:28PM

If I have to move back to Utah, I would visit there as much as possible! What an amazing, beautiful, and hip place!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 05:56PM

Glad you had a good time! I hope you get to go again sometime.
Susan

Date: June 21, 2011 06:02PM

Delicate Arch was so lovely! My favourite part, however, was how polite and considerate everyone was about taking turns regarding pictures. We had cloudy and cool weather that day. I have to giggle, because I was so worried about beuing to hot and I was shivering at the end of the hike.

Has anyone been through the Fiery Furnace? We decided not to hike through it and went up a creek to another arch.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 06:31PM

It's a pretty good hike, some cool arches in there.

Glad you enjoyed Moab. Now, order the bumper sticker* for your car and be very quiet about it all (though word's already out). And it's getting hotter today.

*Moab sucks. Tell your friends.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:33PM

If I saw that bumper sticker, I would have bought it. We hiked to a creek that seemed like a mostly locals' area. Didn't try any restaurants, however.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 06:39PM

A couple of breakfast places are OK, but not that many restaurants I consider good or special. Usually, if I have gone to a town as often as I have Moab, I can rattle off the names of a couple of restaurants that I like. I just can't do that with Moab.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:42PM

Peace Tree is good but overpriced.
Eklektica is good but often too crowded.
Buck's is really good but too expensive.
That's about it, MJ's right.

Yup, Moab's a tourist town. At least we have a good grocery store.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:45PM

With an amazing olive bar! I filled up two containers with the prosciutto stuffed peppers, caper berries, balsamic soaked onions, and delicious olives! Great cheese selection as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 06:46PM by itzpapalotl.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:47PM

Yeah, the best way is to get a place where you can cook and with a frige. Rose Tree Inn is good that way and also allows pets.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:58PM

BF's friends from HS get to use a timeshare there and invited us up. It was amazing to watch the bats out at dusk diving for bugs. Our friends thought I was crazy because I could hear the bats chirp, heehee. Saw SO MANY types of lizards and I even held a tadpole on the verge of becoming a frog.

I was sad when BF hit a prairie dog today and literally took its head off. I'm kinda a softy for animals.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:36PM

Tell all your friends not to go their.

They should stick to Las Vegas.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:28PM

But the area around it is beyond description and has some of the most incredible unbelievable scenery in the world.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:31PM

It really was a paradise! It reminds me so much of my hometown! It's also fun living with and being in love with a geologist who can give you the scoop on how the sites were formed.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:32PM

Where's your hometown?

Date: June 21, 2011 06:36PM

It's right next to Colorado Springs. There's, as my BF calls it, a little Moab right next to it called Garden of the Gods. No arches but amazing formations!

Manitou was a sacred place for the Cheyenne and even the Apaches! There are several springs to drink.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:38PM

Yeah, it's a pretty place, lots of history.

Well. you guys just gotta come back. You got lucky on the cool weather. Did you see all the fresh snow on the La Sals? And it sounds like you discovered Mill Creek.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:41PM

The snow shocked me! Maybe I've been living in the lower desert too long. lol..We got pulled over right outside of Monticello and got a ticket. The fuzz was kind, however, because he gave us a ticket for 10 over, not 14.
Next time I'm in Moab (it's only 3 hours away) I would love to meet you and maybe have a cup of coffee. What do you think?

At least I finally got the glove compartment cleaned out. :)

Date: June 21, 2011 06:44PM

That snow shocked everyone! In fact, it's still there, tho melting.

It would be great to meet you! Lots of insider places I can point you to, if you promise to get that bumper sticker. :)

PS Bummer on the ticket. The SP likes to nail tourists north of town, but haven't heard too much about Monticello being bad that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 06:45PM by lostinutah.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:49PM

Every time we traveled east of Yuma, AZ, we were pulled over and extensively searched by the border patrol. I guess we look like criminals.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 06:48PM

I'm a 3rd-gen CO native.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:50PM

I'm from way back, too - well, my ancestors were (I'm 5th gen) - they were some of the original settlers in NW Colo. Hard lives.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:52PM

I knew you were in Denver, Badgirl, but I didn't realize you are a serious native!
My patriarchal side is rooted in SW Colorado. We might be neighbors someday if my BF gets a Reclamation position in Denver.

What do you think of Manitou?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 07:54PM

But we have land in South Park (really).
I grew up in a suburb of Denver, went to college in Boulder.

I hope to move back to CO or NM or WY...

My grandmother was born in eastern CO about 1906. Her mother was actually born in CA!

Date: June 21, 2011 08:04PM

The further you get into the Rockies, the weirder people get.

I blame it on the lack of O2. :)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 06:41PM

Date: June 21, 2011 06:46PM

Moab is also cool because it is not your typical Utah type of town. Unlike places like Helper, Ceder City and St. George, people are parting, having a good time and diversity is respected if not embraced.

Though Moab is not known for having a gay community, they are going to have a Gay Pride festival in October. I know lots of gays from Salt Lake that love to go to Moab and are planning to attend.

http://qsaltlake.com/2011/05/17/moab-pride-festival-dates-announced/

Date: June 21, 2011 06:49PM

That's COOL, MJ. I'm not gay, but I think it would be fun.

It's about the only town in Utah I've ever liked, and I keep coming back here, even though I'm from W> Colorado, which is also nice.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 06:54PM

I'm headed for Moab this weekend if I have anything to say about it. Going to meet a friend there. Hopefully it'll be good weather and we'll be able to have some fun.

Date: June 21, 2011 06:56PM

You might want to invest in a bug net, the gnats are out. You can get them at Walker Drug, I think, just a few bucks.

Date: June 21, 2011 07:00PM

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the optician that lives there? He is who I am going to visit.

Date: June 21, 2011 07:10PM

Tom? Yes, I got some sunglasses from him once. Nice guy.

Date: June 21, 2011 08:06PM

Yep, Tom....good to know he's a nice guy. I'd hate to be coming to visit a not nice guy.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: June 21, 2011 08:14PM

We take the kids there usually every year. Hike or bike during the mornings, swim during the day and then shower and eat out at night.

Before I broke myself I used to bike down there. So much fun.

Simple. Fun. Beautiful country.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.