Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 01:56PM

I talked to Kay Burningham over the weekend and confirmed the story and got some more insight into the case.

From what I can tell the case is well constructed by focusing on the specific history of the LDS church that the church has misrepresented and not on beliefs or 'truth' claims. It is the history specific to Mormonism and not churches in general. I know I myself would never have joined the church if I knew the real way things happened historically speaking and not the extremely sugar-coated version told by the church in my youth.

Comments made by church-employed historians regarding the essays seem to provide evidence that the church did misrepresent their history for many, many years and only started to become somewhat more honest about the history when the real historical issues, and the associated challenges to believing in the LDS church, came available to the masses by former Mormons.

From the Courthouse News:

SALT LAKE CITY (CN) — A federal lawsuit sure to get attention in Utah claims that the “Mormon Corporate Empire” has driven worshipers to existential crises, suicide, anxiety and depression by peddling a “scheme of lies” centered on the religion’s creation and its scriptures, a onetime member claims.

Laura Gaddy on Monday filed a scathing, 75-page class action against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Represented by Salt Lake City attorney Kay Burningham, Gaddy claims the church, which claimed 16 million members worldwide in 2018, twisted “the foundational history of Mormonism” in a “fraudulent scheme perpetrated for generations.”

“The material facts upon which Mormonism is based have been manipulated through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion and or obfuscation by the [LDS] to contrive an inducement to faith in Mormonism’s core beliefs,” the complaint states.

More here: http://www.mormonthink.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:40PM

Smart. Avoids the stuff that's impossible to prove or disprove. You can prove facts of history and misrepresentation of them. And you can prove that people relied on that and got hurt as a result. So it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 07:02PM

I got baptized when I was 15 my mom was a member my dad was not. The missionaries treated me like I was a convert and did the 6 missionary lessons with me. One lesson showed the golden plates but not the seer stone. I wonder what African converts know about the lds church history?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 10:20PM

I taught the six discussions per a script that was provided to me by the church, when I was on my mission. I served (of all places) in the Utah, Salt Lake City North mission. I plan to contact Key Burningham's office next week and offer to testify. At the time, I didn't know I was mis-representing the truth. I went by the script and a flip chart with pictures that were made-up by the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 10:22PM by azsteve.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 10:53PM

Hey AZSTEVE!

That puts us both about on our missions circa 70's huh?

& of course You mean our beloved black-binder flip-chart that showed Joseph poring over the "Golden Plates" with feather-quill pen in hand by candlelight / lamplight???

Yep I still got mine somewhere in storage...hang onto it Bro as it might actually NOW become a collector's item!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Date: August 13, 2019 11:32PM

Unfortunately, I tossed it out a long time ago. But I have a good memory. My mission was between 1982 and 1984.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 10:32PM

Who is Laura Gaddy and how much will it cost her and her supporters to run this case?

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 01:03PM

oldpobot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is Laura Gaddy and how much will it cost her
> and her supporters to run this case?

I believe Laura Gaddy is someone that approached Kay and told her she never knew about any of the problems with the LDS church related to its history that the church covered up or hid from its members until she read the essays on its website last year.

If enough people join the suit (go to website) then this may be able to be turned into a class-action suit.

It is expensive, so donations are encouraged.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 11:52PM

Issue: Have prominent leaders of the church ever urged that facts be intentionally omitted or otherwise intentionally manipulated in order to promote faith (i.e. sell the church), without disclosing to unsuspecting investigators and members that such tactics are being employed to prevent them from having access to factual information that casts the church and its history in an unfavorable light?

Come listen to the words of Boyd K. Packer, an Apostle (one of the highest ranking positions of church leadership):

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/teaching-seminary-preservice-readings-religion-370-471-and-475/the-mantle-is-far-far-greater-than-the-intellect?lang=eng

"Some things that are true are not very useful."

"The writer or the teacher who has an exaggerated loyalty to the theory that everything must be told is laying a foundation for his own judgment."

"Teaching some things that are true, prematurely or at the wrong time, can invite sorrow and heartbreak instead of the joy intended to accompany learning."

"What is true with these two subjects is, if anything, doubly true in the field of religion. The scriptures teach emphatically that we must give milk before meat. The Lord made it very clear that some things are to be taught selectively, and some things are to be given only to those who are worthy."

"It matters very much not only what we are told but when we are told it. Be careful that you build faith rather than destroy it."

"Can you imagine that attorney, under contract to protect the company, having fixed in his mind that he must not really take sides, that he must be impartial?" [The implication is that church leaders and historians are taking the side of the institution against ordinary members and investigators who simply want access to a full, accurate and unredacted history.]

"I think you can see the point I am making. Those of you who are employed by the Church have a special responsibility to build faith, not destroy it. If you do not do that, but in fact accommodate the enemy, who is the destroyer of faith, you become in that sense a traitor to the cause you have made covenants to protect." [The implication is that the act of providing a full and accurate history, without manipulative redactions and falsehoods is somehow helping the "enemy".]

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 12:52PM

"milk before meat"

Although TSSC doesn't meet all criteria for a cult, the esoteric gap is one.

When there's a sizeable gap between what a new recruit is told and what someone knows who's advanced in the group, and that gap is deliberately maintained, that's the esoteric gap. Short form: you're not told upfront what the group is about.

Date: August 14, 2019 10:41PM

I went through the temple and took those God-forsaken throat-slashing covenants and have no qualms about telling the whole world everything I know about the mormon church without holding anything back. They weren't honest with me. They weren't who they claimed they were. It's time to take them down as soon as possible. The way to do it is to just tell the courts the truth and stay away from religious beliefs when doing it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.