Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: five.o.charlie ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 02:31PM

A few years ago I formally resigned from the LSD church and never received a resignation confirmation. Possibly an oversight on the part of the very busy TBMs who process that stuff.

Anyways, I moved a few times since then and cannot find my resignation confirmation letter. I'm not even sure I got one, just the warning that all of my blessings are null and void. I would like to have that letter, mostly for myself, but also because TSSC never sent me the letter, which was their responsibility.

So I guess I'm just seeking the info for getting my letter properly delivered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 02:39PM

I've heard that if you know your membership number, you can go to the church website and try to log in. If you are successful in doing so, it means that the resignation didn't 'take' and you're still one of the 16,000,000 faithful!

If you're locked out by the computer, then they did record you as having fallen for Satan's entreaties.

Once you confirm that you're listed as resigned, you could always write to ask for a copy... tell them that you can't get your kids into Satan's Scouts without!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 03:09PM

resign again and see what happens.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 06:55PM

You can call the Member Records department in SLC to check.

1-800-453-3860 ext. 22053.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 05:38AM

If member records doesn't show it, do it again but send it certified with conformation required.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 08:56AM

I did that when I resigned, because it was frequently advised back in the day. I have since decided that was a complete waste of time and money. Certified, in particular, is not cheap. The only thing that buys you is that if you need to go to court to have a judge enforce your resignation, certified mail proves to the court's satisfaction that LDS Inc did indeed receive the resignation.

The catch is that since resignation became settled law back in the 1980s, the number of people who have had to go to court to have a judge enforce their resignation rights is precisely zero. That's why it is a waste of money.

When LDS Inc started accepting email resignations, most people considering resigning jumped on it. Certified and delivery confirmation is pretty much out the window with email, but nobody cared.

Yes, Member Records occasionally loses a resignation. I think at least part of the staff is senior "service missionaries " and whoever handles the paperwork, sometimes it falls through the cracks. Usually, a phone call to Member Records will get things back on track, but worst case, you send in the resignation a second time.

Sending it certified is not important. What is important is that if you don't receive your confirmation letter from Member Records within two months, you need to contact them and find out what the problem is. That works.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 07:40AM

A nice gal did mine for free because she thought having to resign period was such BS.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 06:26AM

I was thinking lately that I want to check if I am definitely not still a member, but calling the states from the uk is gonna be expensive. In the uk they refuse to communicate with you from SLC, it all goes via uk church HQ in Solihull.
Did other ex-mormons in the uk experience the same thing, and did you ever check with SLC?
Is there any way to check without calling, and without knowing MRN number?
Otherwise I think I will have to call them, under some pretence of wanting to know something else, after all I do not trust these people to tell me the truth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 07:37AM

You can also email the Member Records dept.

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

Here's the link from the main page with information about resigning:

https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 08:18AM

Thanks so much summer

Posted by: five.o.charlie ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 12:28PM

Thanks guys! I forgot I posted this months ago and in the interim decided that it's just not worth it. Who cares anyways? It's just a cult, and besides I don't want to deal with the crazies. My brother is one and it's hard enough to deal with him.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 05:03PM

I resigned by mail at least five or six years ago and

subsequently recieved my acceptance letter in about three

or four weeks.

Do it again if you are concerned. Otherwise, it doesn't really

matter. You are out when you say you are out. The mormon church

has no power over you.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 09:00PM

Several people have done it online for free with help of a lawyer.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/08/04/lds-church-adds-new-step/

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 07:28AM

If you got a letter warning you of the consequences of resignation, then you are likely officially resigned. It's usually the only communication they send out when you inform them you are resigning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.