Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 05:23PM

is there a churchco policy about whether / not (Melch) PH holders can marry people <in the CHI>?

just curious, mind U

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 05:26PM

Huh? Do you mean can PH holders perform a marriage ceremony?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 05:56PM

I think a bishop can marry people and so can missionaries. Basically, anyone with an ecclesiastical endorsement can perform marriages.....and you get that on the internet.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 06:00PM

Yes, but any missionary performing a marriage would be sent home immediately. He has legal authority (probably?) but not church authorization.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 06:28PM

Not when I was a missionary in 83 - 85. We all carried a ministerial certificate and were told we could perform marriages.

Maybe they changed it. Legally, anyone can perform a "religious" marriage if the have a ministerial certificate, which anyone can get on line these days. I've performed many marriages with mine :)

Date: September 20, 2019 06:32PM

Roy: (as I mentioned earlier) <at one time?> Ohio (+ others?) required a license from the state.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 07:47PM

Regarding our ministerial licenses, here's a photo of mine... (if this works...)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xqZnE4fziGcoWXszwLRr7PR1N3b4qB3t/view?usp=sharing

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 02:04AM

I'll have to ask DH if he still has his license. I've never seen it in the 30 years we have been together, but that doesn't mean he no longer has it.

Did you get that when you were sent on your mission?

Date: September 21, 2019 04:13AM

Yes, towards the end of the week at the old Salt Lake City mission home, where Elder Bowler and I slept together in a double bed for that week.

Date: September 19, 2019 06:22PM

my friend has a SIL who's a HP.

Some states (Ohio for one) require a "license" to marry people (or at least they did) for the marriage to be considered 'valid' which is of course VERY old-fashioned....

OK, so they send a mish home, but what about a non-mish;? are they going to discipline someone for performing a wedding?
I hardly think so!!!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 07:16PM

If you're wanting to know who has the authority to perform a marriage in your state, I'm sure you can find that information online.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 08:06PM

ziler can confirm ~

ziller has the authority to marry exmos on an island or on a boat ~

these exmos remain married the whole time they both are on said boat or island ~

Date: September 20, 2019 08:18PM

both horizontally as well as vertically?

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 10:12PM

They asked if DH, former Mo, could perform their marriage ceremony. He immediately became a member of some Universal Church in their state and ended up performing their ceremony, and two other marriages for the relatives-in-law. Everybody was happy because he consulted with each couple about what they wanted him to say. There were some mixed marriages here, i.e. religiously mixed and everyone was happy.

DH even learned some Polish words to say at the first ceremony. The family loved it! They later said they knew what he was trying to say.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.