Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 08:52PM

Why so many changes to the YM's program?

By the time LDS males become Young Single Adults we know there are 3 active females to every 1 active male. This new program is an attempt to change that by making young males captive to their bishops. The girls are not as big of a problem because they tend to stay active.

An author on a YSA "advisor page" stated that the parents of today are neglecting their sacred roles to teach children how to lead in the church. I saw this a couple of years ago and there was no author listed. It was harsh! and then it was taken down.

If you have teens in the church make sure that boundaries are in place and kids know parents are the authority.

IMHO
Amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 09:26PM

From what I heard from my TBM parents who actually sat through all of GC, it's because the bishops are overloaded with all the single mothers who line up for the handouts. Now the relief society presidency is going to start counselling the women and deciding how to distribute the food and pay the bills for the families.

Which is high time they made this change. I'm sure the Relief Society can do just as good or better job at passing out the charity as the priesthood. This will free up the bishops time so he can get more involved with the youth.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 08:04PM

As long as I can remember it has been the RS president that visits the home and fills out the order form for the bishop's warehouse. Some RS presidents could be pretty aggressive and rummage through the cupboards and fridge.

As far as cash the bishop would just tell the ward clerk to write out a check to a member or preferably a company they owed money to and the clerk would mail it.
Some bishops would make church welfare a huge deal and some would not.
I think the new guidelines are to keep the young men roped and tied.

Posted by: Anon..... ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:00AM

When I was a boy, my parents had divorced (dad didn't like the church), remember as a 5 year old seeing a strange women in a dress - coming over to the my mum's kitchen. She opened every cupboard, cabinet, and drawer. This would have been 1970. I remember being frightened as my mother stood there. Then I remember her asking, "so do you have food stashed anywhere else...basement maybe? attic?." She then went into the bedrooms and looked in closets, under beds, etc. My mother was in tears when she left. I remember asking her

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 09:33PM

and the only time I met with the bishop is when I asked for help and then he stopped by to talk to me about it. Then the R.S. president took care of everything from there on out, not the bishop.

And they DO NOT give very many people help. I told other single mothers to ask and I'm the only one who got help. What I noticed is they give help to those who are not active--probably a missionary tool. I wasn't active, but I also knew the bishop well and he had served in a bishopric with my "husband" and knew a lot of the story. He did write a letter to my "husband" and called him to repentance and told him he should be taking care of his family. I was also told that abusing the lord's money was second only to murder and that I should ask my family first and I said no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 09:34PM by cl2.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 10:08PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I was also told that abusing
> the lord's money was second only to murder and
> that I should ask my family first and I said no.

I thought premarital sex was a next to murder? Now I learned it is abusing the lords money. A Jesus mall will do.

cl2 the church has been awful to you I am glad that they did help you financially. Before I knew better I used to believe that most of the tithing money was to help the poor and needy the widows and so forth. I was so naive I knew nothing about land in Florida and investments.

About 8 years ago I was an active member and an older woman asked the bishop to help her pay her electricity bill and he said only if she paid tithing on her small retirement income. She received meals on wheels as she was unable to drive herself. She was on food stamps. I did not believe a bishop would say that so I talked to him. Bishop said no tithing no help. I paid her electricity bill $200 she would have ended up getting a heat stroke because she was scared turning on her ac because she had very little money.Bishop was very upset at me because I asked him to reimburse me. She had dementia and really needed help. Bishop helped very little. Her home teacher was an angle he took her grocery shopping many times and so was her visiting teacher.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 04:51PM

Thank goodness for "ministers."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 01:24AM

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 04:41PM

both hands right? You don't to leave a young man with one hand free. That free hand could get into all sorts of mischief. ;)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 01:15AM

Didn't Packer give a talk about tying your hand to the bed post?

Date: October 11, 2019 11:18AM

Mark E. Peterson.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 11:28AM

Tying a hand to the bed with a neck tie is too funny, but, Mark E. Petersen's many helpful hints for overcoming masturbation are hysterical. This is my favorite:

" . . . If you associate something very distasteful with your loss of self-control it will help you to stop the act. For example, if you are tempted to masturbate, think of having to bathe in a tub of worms, and eating several of them as you do the act."

Date: October 11, 2019 11:34AM

Rule 34.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.