Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:33AM

I am not surprised that none of the GC talks directly addressed missionary work. The proselytizing program is not working.

Google god must be pleased.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:33AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 01:59PM

there's got to be some guilt, what with all those young people failing to live up to ghawd's expectations.

I wonder if Holy McGhost is straight-on mad at them, or just hectors them with sarcastic commentary?

Too bad he, Holy McGhost, isn't a little more hands-on with all the golden investigators running around loose out there.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 02:39PM

Why mention it when Rusty and Wendy are doing all the work in their world tour missions. Prophet of God comes and that is all that they need.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 03:03PM

I would guess that most new converts are not in a high enough tax bracket to be of great value to the tithing coffers, and so even the GA.s have admitted behind closed doors that the mission program is strictly a way to keep a choke hold on the young men and is of no value otherwise.

As far as rite of passage in the world, which Mormon Missions are, this is pretty pathetic but also goes on way too long.
Some Amazon youth put on gloves loaded with stinging bullet ants and have to keep them on for ten minutes. In Vanuatu the young men just bungee jump head first with a vine tied around their ankle and they don't do it for two years. In Ethiopa they have to jump over a castrated male cow four times while naked. Maybe not easy but doesn't take two years of your life.

Perhaps with regard to the missions, the Prophet could take a page from some tribes in Ethiopia. Part of me wishes that had been my rite of passage. The other part of me is glad I got to know another brilliant culture, learned a language. and ate a lot of homemade empanadas

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:14PM

There is likely a lot of truth to that idea that it's for the indoctrination of the young men and to create loyalty. But interestingly I'm seeing a lot of Latin American elders and Asian sisters coming to Utah. I wonder what the objective is there. They are coming with little English skills, from the 2-3rd worlds to the 1st world. Lot's of the young missionaries I've talked to say they plan on staying here. They like America more than Tonga.

I'm guessing Russ wants them to transplant Utah culture and language over there, but they aren't so excited to go back.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:31PM

'barely' is a naturist / nudist code word, Please use it with respect - discretion, Thanks!!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 09:06AM

I can't stand to listen to GC so I appreciate reports like yours. What they don't say is louder than what they do say.

Another theme that disappeared from GC is "Lamanites."

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 09:59AM

The Nephites were all killed off early in the 5th century AD, and it seems as if the Lamanites have all been eliminated in the past ten years or so.

For most of my life there were hundreds of millions of Lamanites throughout the western hemisphere; now they're all gone. It must have been a mass extinction.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 10:44AM

It’s amazing how terms drop out of use when they’re discovered to be utter horse$hit. What will happen to their entire religion?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.