Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:07PM

I think those of us over the age of, say, 60 would all agree that the church of our youth, although it uses the same buildings and the officers have (mostly) the same titles, has changed.

Some changes were minor, like the 3-hour block and Coca-Cola no longer being a thorn of contention in re the Word of Wisdom...

Then there are the not so minor changes, most notably when on June 09, 1978 ghawd 'confirmed' to the assembled afossils and prophets there in the attic of the SLC temple that it would be okay to give in to popular demand so that the church would not become a hiss and a byword. It's nice that ghawd is cool that way!

My main point concerns the Changes. Yay for the Continuing Education Program! Oops, I mean, Continuing Prophecy...which has been a keystone of mormonism since Joju (Joseph Smith, Jr.) began rolling out the one-after-the-other revelations, both simple and complex!

He made it Article of Faith #9:

"We believe all that God has
    has revealed, all that [H]e
    does now reveal, and we
    believe that He will yet
    reveal many great and
    important things pertaining
    to the Kingdom of God."

So here's where I'm going with this...  Joju (and he's not the only one to do so) made a big deal about how the 'church' described in the New Testament, as it was formally organized by the Nicean Council, "changed" as the years rolled by, and by that change, became NOT the church Jesus started.

Apostasy!

Which ghawd corrected through Joju! Yay!!

Which brings me back to my original observation: The mormon church of my youth, the one that sent me out to be a missionary, no longer exists.

Now take a look at this excellent meme and laugh with me!

https://i.redd.it/9djms59566c41.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:12PM

I'm surprised Rusty hasn't started adding to the doctrine and covenants as he seems to think he is the reincarnation of god, and better than your Joju. (That version of his name reminds me of the movie I saw last night, Jojo Rabbit.)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 10:46PM

He will yet reveal

This opens the door to convenience change

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 09:23AM

I too believe that the mormon church today is not the mormon church I grew up with. And, when I seen this meme picture, it reminded me of a quote that impressed me enough to save it to a list of pertinent quotes that I keep.

"When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, then you will understand why I dismiss yours".

I don't know who originally penned this, but it applies to the way I see the mormon church and how it comes in handy when people tell me that my thinking has strayed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:06AM

sunbeep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know who originally penned this, but it
> applies to the way I see the mormon church and how
> it comes in handy when people tell me that my
> thinking has strayed.

Yours may have strayed but theirs is done. You can't argue with a closed mind.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 10:19AM

As a well over 60, I will testify that your meme is dead on!.
Says it all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.