Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 10:01PM

My kid is on her way to Memphis, as in, she's in the process of driving there.

She's going to be freelancing for her current job, but she's looking for a new one. This is what she does:

She has three or four years of experience in C#, Visual Basic, PHP, HTML/CSS, JavaScript.

I have absolutely NO idea what that means.

If you are looped into the geek job world, have any leads, and are inclined to help her, please drop a line: HelpBethsKid@protonmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 10:17PM

They are programming/coding languages.

Get Sundays Seattle Times news paper and look at the help wanted ads. Computer jobs are begging to be filled, I don't know what is in Memphis, but in Seattle the job market is hot.

Date: January 24, 2020 10:27PM

Yah, but she's moving to Memphis :'(

I'm sending tentacles out on my side, and she's been searching before she left and has had a few interviews. I think she's tired of working for a start up.

Unrelated, the Skookumchuck is running faster than I've ever seen.

Date: January 25, 2020 02:31PM

Part of me wishes she'd move here, but I know that we'd be sick of each other after two weeks. Still...

KIDS!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 10:19PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 10:28PM

Because unlike Beth, she has not yet learned how to turn stray dogs into waterfowl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 10:31PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 24, 2020 10:28PM

Because momma is living on pasta this month ;-)

When she applied for the job she has now, the online application asked why she wanted to work for the company. She wrote:

Because I'm tired of eating ramen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 10:28PM by Beth.

Date: January 24, 2020 10:50PM

Oh, and I can't say she's tired of working for a start up - that's probably me projecting.

I'm also kind of freaked because she just drove her first leg. She's safely in VA. Tomorrow she drives to Knoxville. Sunday she's supposed to arrive in Memphis.

I'm stoked for her. I'm proud of her. But if she doesn't text me each night when she gets to her hotel, I'll have to load up 16 ducks, two cats, and one 90# dog into my teeny car and find her ass.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 24, 2020 11:16PM

Those are valuable skills to have. I didn't start learning to write code until later in life. The grade schools should start teaching kids how to write code as soon as they can read. It would then become a natural way of expressing themselves for the rest of their lives. As it it is for me, when it comes to code writing I am like the foreigner who never quite got a full grasp on the local language, but knows enough to get by. If your daughter has a few years of experience and likes writing code, she has a lot of good options available to her in life. I wish her well.

Date: January 25, 2020 02:29PM

Thanks, Steve :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 01:36AM

I suggest she be wary of small companies and start-ups. Their employment situations can be precarious. If a large company has a downturn, they can weather it out with fewer layoffs (percentage-wise) than the small company. Also, once she knows her way around a corporation, she can watch for different opportunities in different fields and departments.

I have a very bright son, quite the jack of all trades and master of several, who's gone through about a job a year for the last ten, or so.

Date: January 25, 2020 02:29PM

Right?! Ugh.

She had an internship from the summer before her senior year until the summer after she graduated, but they finally told her that they couldn't afford to hire her. She tutored math and English at one of those Sylvan type places, and she stocked shelves at Best Buy. I knew she was anxious about the job business, and it was so so hard for me to keep my mouth shut and let her do her thing.

Wait - she didn't *tell* me about all of this until she found a full-time job near Princeton, NJ. One day she called and said "I got a job!" I was a bit confused because I thought she was working for the internship people. I am such a mom.

One of the reasons she wanted to leave NJ was that it is hella expensive near Princeton and Clifton Heights, the most recent place she was living with housemates. The car insurance is astronomical.

It's weird to be an observer of your child's life.

Posted by: donbagley's fiscal twin ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 08:43PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> It's weird to be an observer of your child's life.

I was able to put my kids through college without incurring debt (one through grad school, too!). Now I try to be hands-off, but it takes conscious effort. Fortunately, I can do something for them that isn't interfering or manipulative, but helps on a matter they'd probably neglect: I fund their Roth IRAs.

Date: January 25, 2020 08:49PM

That's awesome!

We're not people of means nor from people of means by any stretch of the imagination.

Her retirement plan is getting the step-up in basis on this house. ;)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 02:20AM

Javascript is the most widely used programming language in use for interwebs work today. PHP is right up there, as is C#, in the top 5 or 10, depending on whose list you believe. Visual Basic is fading, because it is the same capabilities as C#, but a different syntax. The number of programmers conversant in "curly brace languages" (C, C++, Java, Python, Swift, C#, Objective-C (I think they all qualify)) is huge, and that is kind of leaving Visual Basic as odd language out.

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/top-10-programming-languages-of-the-world-2019-to-begin-with/

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-top-programming-languages-2019

Startups can be brutal. Huge schedule pressure, plus often confusion/disagreement about what exactly the company is doing. But the money is usually good to excellent. They also tend to pop up and disappear like mushrooms after a spring rain. That got old.

DD should have no problem landing on her feet. Useful skills. In the meantime, ramen with a chopped carrot and celery, or an egg mixed in can be a pretty passable meal. Toss out half of that salt/flavor packet. :)

Date: January 25, 2020 02:21PM

:) Thank you. This thread is probably about allaying *my* fears. Thank you, BoJ.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 09:01AM

Programmers are a dime a dozen though. What they really want are software engineers.

Date: January 25, 2020 02:20PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Programmers are a dime a dozen though.

Awesome. :(

I asked her if she knows about dice, and she does. So that's good.

She just arrived in Knoxville. She's checking out the city.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 05:47PM

> I asked her if she knows about dice, and she does.
> So that's good.

Then why didn't she just move to Atlantic City?

Date: January 25, 2020 07:52PM

Haha!

And, c'mon! You know we lived there :)

She's like, MUST. LEAVE. NEW. JERSEY.

I don't blame her.

Date: January 25, 2020 08:34PM

Date: January 25, 2020 08:36PM

Date: January 25, 2020 08:39PM

Right on. Thanks, my caffeinated friend.

ETA: She plays the bass. Maybe she'll rock out some Delta blues down there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 08:43PM by Beth.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 25, 2020 05:59PM

if she doesn't like start ups, here in Utah the Feds are always advertising for help, the biggest jobs that are stable in Ogden are with the IRS, programming tax stuff, and also the Hill with the defense contracts, they advertises for them as well. The salaries are well over $100,000. Perhaps she could take a secretary job and work her way up into technical stuff, if she likes federal bureaucracies.

Tell her to look at usajobs.gov

Date: January 25, 2020 07:51PM

She knows about usajobs and there's a large Navy presence in Millington. Her father was stationed there.

"Perhaps she could take a secretary job and work her way up into technical stuff, if she likes federal bureaucracies."

She has no secretarial experience.

Date: January 26, 2020 10:35PM

And she said something to the effect that at start-ups, one person *is* the software engineer, web developer, and then I tuned out because my brain is small.

We appreciate your kindness, support and good thoughts more than you'll ever know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.