Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 01:13PM

Black Mormon missionary attacked in possible hate crime

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah authorities are investigating an attack on a black missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a possible hate crime.

Two men were arrested Thursday on suspicion of assault, and charging documents show hate crime is under consideration. The NAACP expressed outrage about what allegedly happened and church officials said they are concerned about the incident.

The victim and his missionary companion were preparing to go to a house of people they were going to teach Jan. 28 in the central Utah city of Payson when they encountered six people wearing dark hoodies, charging documents show….

https://apnews.com/76ed6828c21150c29381e63ab036a9c2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 01:29PM

Strengthening hate crime laws is a topic in the Maryland assembly this legislative season.

Hopefully the attackers will get what is coming to them. The man in the photo looks like he is hopped up on something.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 01:36PM

He is hopped up on hatred.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 08:20PM

Why is it that so many of the people who claim to be of the superior race look anything but.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 08:32PM

You are a brutal person, olderelder!

Posted by: Proofofthepudding ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 09:45PM

No worries....all is well - "church officials said they are concerned about the incident."

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:31AM

You notice his companion did not step in and try to help him?

After it happened he should have beat hell out of the yellow coward.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:48AM

I don’t get it...

I’m gonna guess that you’re a young lad, full of piss and vinegar for whom odds of six to one, with you being the one, make you salivate!

Did you know that in terms of survival and longevity, ‘not fighting’ is demonstratively a superior tactic when compared to fighting? Studies have established that this true!

I get it, that in terms of viewer response, “fighting” will improve ratings compared to “not fighting”. But there are also studies that show that life on TV does not really correlate with what we laymen call Real Life.

Finally, I hold the personal belief that non-fighting males get laid more and have more children than fighters, and that their kids respect their fathers more than do the kids of fighters. Unless, of course, you are Genghis Khan, then you win the discussion.

Prove me wrong, stud.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 03:16PM

Very well put, EOD.
I hope every young man reads this.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 08:00PM

Your pacifist attitude of "let my buddy get beaten" while showing you are a coward stinks.

Nope, not young. Military veteran. Wrestling in HS and College as well as a Boxing career for years and then amateur judo for fun. Law enforcement background after the military. Have been shot at and been in close quarter situations way too often - on the job and off at times.

You defend a friend. You stop those who attack someone. You get involved to save those picked on. The cowardly companion should be sent home and those like him should as well. Next time it may be a wife or child - and the lesson of "don't help" is already set. Not a good thing.

You avoid a fight if possible - but you don't stand by while someone is being attacked - with firearm use the only real exception.

You sound like those who bitch and complain about law enforcement and the military while enjoying their protection that allows you a measure of safety.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 08:19PM

Fighting does have it's time and place; as a species, we will likely never outgrow the propensity to curl our fingers to make a fist when things don't go our way.

I was just a tad disappointed that with barely any facts, you had no difficulty judging the White companion. That seemed to be your "go-to" setting: if your standards aren't met, that person should be sent packing, with you howling your displeasure. It just seemed a bit harsh, not to mention overly dramatic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 08:44PM

White companion has never served in the army or the police, never boxed, probably never wrestled, never practiced Judo. And you expect him to act like a trained fighter in a confrontation that probable lasted significantly less than a minute? Do you give that advice to shop owners whose premises are invaded by thieves?

There would be more excuse for your arrogance if you were an overweening teenager.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 09:10PM

And maybe he was threatened, maybe he was trying to get away to get help, who knows. Likely, as others have said, it happened so unexpectedly and so fast. Maybe it's better he was there to lend aid after the attack instead of lying injured or worse himself. There are many details we don't know yet. And even so, I hope we don't jump to judge anyone for how they respond when an emergency happens. None of us knows what we will do until it happens.

Of course, it's different for trained first responders. True enough, those folks got guts.

Hopefully, we all do our best with what we've got, in our head, in our heart, in our physical strength and in our character.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.