Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:38PM

just wondering ...

did u ever experience grief/guilt for taking the sac. with your left hand?

what about sustaining a calling or an office? Ever use your left?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:39PM

I didn't. They told me not to use my left hand, so I took it with my right hand, even if it did feel awkward.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:46PM

To Me,this is symbolism on Steroids; If the use of your left hand doesn't signify evil (left = sinister), what's the problem?

the 'problem' is that ChurchCo needs to keep the membership compliant with their silly rules, no matter how arcane, ancient, or founded in thoughts - 'reasoning' that have no practical application or significance today.

was this 'recently'? I'd like to know, did they ('Joe Authority') offer any explanation?

seems silly to me, but I'm a Rightie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 06:15PM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 06:31PM

I like to cover all the biases!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 11:58AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 07:12PM

I always took it with my left hand since I am left handed. Nobody ever said a word. I guess there weren't so many pharisees in those days.

Date: February 15, 2020 07:47PM

I didn't know it was supposed to be taken with the right hand until I took it for the first time with my left and was corrected by my friends.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:00PM

I can see suggesting it as respectful protocol, sure. After all, one salutes and shakes with the right. But beyond that...

After all, what if one can't reach with the right, and spills or drops? Granted, this is water, not Baptist grape juice or Episcopal Sangiovese... I never gave it a thought: it all depends which way the tray is being passed.

A long-departed poster had a neat call sign, "Arm To The Triangle." Speaking of lefties, to radicals clench and raise their left fist, or their right? I googled "radical clenched fist" and they're all righties!

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:01PM

I'm a lefty, which means I'm ambidextrous. I think the "right hand only" edict was something that did not come from headquarters; it was taught sporadically by some members which I took to have been incorporated from other religious traditions.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:30PM

The "left hand is evil" notion is indeed far older than Mormonism. Some etymologists think that meaning is relatively recent, meaning a few centuries ago, but the root that produces "sinister" has negative meanings as far afield in the Indo-European world as Iran and India, where kids have long been taught to wipe their derrieres with their left hand. So at some point the right hand seems to have been reserved for more positive things and the left for more negative.

Regarding the possibility that it was members of the LDS church who introduced the "right hand only" rule, my hunch is that there was no need to introduce it because it was already there. It would be interesting to know if Catholics and others who partake of the Eucharist have the same prejudice. My guess is they likely do, so when Mormons adopted the sacrament they simply continued the tradition that they understood.

Date: February 15, 2020 08:58PM

I'm not a neurologist, but I believe we humans are wired to prefer the right--dexterity, strength, and all that. A minority--I think it/s 10%?--is wired left. Thus, most weapons, writing systems, tools, apparel, are designed for the right. For example, men's buttons are on the right, to be handled and fitted into the stationary left. Women's are opposite, going back to the days of aristocratic women being dressed by attendants, who held the left (lady's right) stationary with her (attendant's) left hand, maneuvering the button with her (attendant's) right (lady's left).

I'm left-eye-dominant, but was trained (forced actually) to be right. This was the 1950s, with a greater emphasis on conformity. Think tablet arm chairs in schools. I write right, an awkward chicken scrawl. I sight right on rifle, but left on pistol.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 08:43PM

How were you trained against your natural eye dominance?

Date: February 17, 2020 04:20AM

They don't change the dominant eye, obviously, just train the shooter to aim with his non-dominant eye.

Date: February 17, 2020 12:00PM

How queer.

Date: February 17, 2020 12:55PM

Rifle instruction begins with long sessions of "snapping in," when you wrap your arm through the sling to steady and control the weapon. * I just reverted to right-handed shoulder preference. I didn't fire pistols much until police training, and found with a two-handed grip I reverted to my left eye.

*That was with the M-14, which has a heavier kickback than the M-16, or its derivatives the AR-15, M4A1, and the M27. I'll have to ask a handsome young Marine lieutenant I know about current training.

Odd note: I wonder if my combat history would have been different had I shot left. Imagine an infantry column, mostly righties, with their rifles oriented to the left. Lefties (with rifles oriented right) are carefully scattered for a faster response in case of ambush from the right side, and often put on point.

Date: February 17, 2020 01:01PM

Queer sight for the straight eye.

Date: February 17, 2020 01:59PM

You know the compliment regarding your linguistic humor I just extended in the other thread?

I take it back.

Date: February 17, 2020 04:23PM

Oh, did I go to far?

Probably a bad joke, my apologies.

But here is something interesting I think for you.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0170241

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 04:29PM by Elder Berry.

Date: February 17, 2020 05:00PM

I stand agog.

Date: February 17, 2020 05:01PM

But not amagog.

Date: February 17, 2020 06:12PM

Date: February 16, 2020 10:41PM

It
> would be interesting to know if Catholics and
> others who partake of the Eucharist have the same
> prejudice. My guess is they likely do, so when
> Mormons adopted the sacrament they simply
> continued the tradition that they understood.

For Catholics, the priest or Eucharistic minister places the host directly onto the communicant's tongue; the communicant has no direct hand involvement. Where Protestants are concerned, methodology varies widely. I've never heard of an issue with using one's left hand, but I haven't spent a great deal of time in Protestant churches. There's probably at least one group making an issue of right vs. left hand, since there's at least one group making an issue over almost everything under the sun or moon, though I wouldn't know who they might be.

Date: February 17, 2020 04:20AM

Thank you.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 08:06PM

Most left handers have a greater degree of ambidexterity than right handers. Some of it is out of necessity, like using scissors, but sometimes it just feels natural to do things right handed. For example, I throw a baseball with my left hand but bowl with my right. I tend to carry bags and suitcases in my right hand. And so on.

But back to the original question, once I was told to take (and distribute) the sacrament only with my right hand, it was no big deal.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:28PM

I always wondered, if JS was to be a judge "on the right hand of God" who's going to be on the left hand of God?

It wasn't too many decades ago that left-handed elementary school kids were forced to have special therapy, to become right-handed. Sorta like the Mormons try to train gays to be straight.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 18, 2020 04:54PM

A long-time friend of mine went through that business in school, where they tried to train him "out of" being left-handed. At lunch or recess, his left hand was actually secured behind him, forcing him to use his right hand. He hated it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 08:45PM

Left handedness is a choice. It’s not like you were born that way. Fortunately, church leaders can help you overcome your Left Hand Preference.

Date: February 16, 2020 02:09PM

My bishop assures me that left conversion therapy is highly effective and will cure me of my Sinister Attraction Syndrome (SAS).

Date: February 15, 2020 08:58PM

Hey, we lefties finally have an advantage. I can use the computer mouse with my right hand and use a calculator or write something with my left, without having to take my hand off the mouse first.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 12:13PM

I do the opposite. I mouse with my left hand while using my right to write, etc.

Date: February 17, 2020 12:38PM

In "Of Mice and Men", Curley wears a work glove on his left hand to keep them soft.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 09:59PM

We also have a preferred leg. I tried to get on a bicycle from the right side one time and discovered it was extraordinarily difficult. [push off with one foot on pedal, throw leg over saddle while moving. It felt nearly impossibly awkward]

And why is the complicated work on guitars done by the non-dominant hand?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 10:01PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: February 16, 2020 01:53PM

Do it from the right, and you might spook the steed.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 06:55PM

Not only that, but you'll get tangled in your sword, which is worn on the left hip. :)

Date: February 16, 2020 09:13PM

Can you imagine the calumny called down on left-handed swordsmen, walking around with their scabbards on their right hip?

Might as well punch the Virgin Mary in the stomach, the freaks!!

Date: February 16, 2020 08:49PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> And why is the complicated work on guitars done by
> the non-dominant hand?

Strumming isn't complicated, but fingerpicking - Travis style or otherwise - isn't necessarily less complex than is chording.

Date: February 17, 2020 02:04PM

...who said he's a rightie above the waist, and leftie below.

He bats, throws, and catches (mitt on left hand) rightie, and shoots right but kicks (soccer) left, and favors his left ski. But gets this: he says on golf he's ambi, and owns both left and right clubs!

I should have asked him if he distinguishes between his irons and clubs in anyway.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 03:28PM

Me too. Right handed but have always kicked with my left leg. Don't know why, but it feels more natural to me.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 08:56AM

I'm right handed but was taught to kick soccer balls with my left foot when young, and now am equally comfortable on either side. Definitely through practice though - I'm still technically right footed.

Date: February 16, 2020 01:58PM

I am way beyond being a leftie, so that nihilism is so far in my rearview mirror that I can't see it anymore.

Date: February 16, 2020 03:51PM

I confess to being a nonEssentialist.

Date: February 17, 2020 12:04PM

One does not see nihilism with a mirror.

Date: February 17, 2020 12:59PM

Date: February 17, 2020 06:19PM

Date: February 16, 2020 08:14PM

I can't operate scissors at all with my right hand. I always have left-handed scissors. I do bat right-handed though. But I throw with my left hand.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 10:45PM

I’m lefty. I played most sports as a kid...all left handed. However, I’m right eye dominant so anything requiring sighting in a target...I did righty...ie, shooting a rifle, bow and arrow, or pool. They all felt natural sighting with my right eye. I play(played) guitar. I do(did) that righty ..mostly because the hand me down guitar was righty. It was easier to push the strings down with my left hand anyhow. I still don’t understand why lefties don’t play that way. Sorry, probably TMI... but just my 5 cents worth.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 11:59PM

I see many right-handed tailors thread their machines with their left hand.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:14AM

I guess I consider myself an Ambi. My right hand is more dominant, but I use my left hand a lot too.
I have to use my left hand to talk on the phone or when I use a headset.
When I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, it wasn't a problem for me to use my left hand.
When we go target shooting at the gun range, I learned to shoot with my left hand because I didn't want the kickback hurting my right shoulder.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:38AM

Yes I L E F T the whole thing

Posted by: Bureau of Medicine ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 02:50PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> Yes I L E F T the whole thing

There are plenty of lefties here. You can usually tell because they always think they're right.

Date: February 17, 2020 02:56PM

As opposed to righties who know they are always right.

Posted by: Bureau of Medicine ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 03:18PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> As opposed to righties who know they are always
> right.

That's all right. Lefties can't meme. ;)

Date: February 17, 2020 05:50PM

Bureau of Medicine Wrote:

>
> There are plenty of lefties here. You can usually
> tell because they always think they're right.

That's because we're in the right frame of mind.

Date: February 18, 2020 07:31PM

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 06:01PM

I'm right handed, but one time it was more comfortable to take with my left, someone chastised me for doing it, so I partook with my left hand all the time after that.

You see I'm not a trouble maker, but when people show their dominance over me and are rude to me, I immediately do the opposite. I have never been rude to anyone. I just don't like being talked down too. If it makes the rude person mad at me, Then I succeeded. If they are not my boss and are not paying me, then it is just.

Date: February 17, 2020 06:21PM

Have you ever been to Hollywood?

Date: February 17, 2020 06:40PM

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 07:26PM

actually no, never been to California !

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 10:46AM

I'm a left handed minion of Stan.

Like many things, the LDS Church is standardized for the "normal" people. Sometimes you adapt your habits to the right handed world just because that's your environment--I probably still pop the communion wafer in my mouth with the right hand (although I suspect that I'm usually about to get up and turn right and want to use my left hand to balance myself on the altar rail as I get up)--but whatever! The rector is notorious for not giving a [insert your preferred naughty word here] about little things like what hand you use to partake. I can't imagine receiving words of chastisement for using my evil left hand--in fact I plan to do so this Sunday just for kicks against the pricks at LDS, Inc.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 01:42AM

Boo Dr. Spock, who said that I should hand the spoon, biscuit, chicken stick, whatever to the right hand of my baby.

At 10 months my son was already transferring it to his left to use it.

He was always a strong lefty. He used to complain that there were no left handed screwdrivers.

Then a left-handed store opened on Pier 39 in San Francisco. He loved to go there.

He was also ADD, as was DH, who believed he was a lefty forced to use his right hand.

I never noticed which hand son used for sacrament. By the time he was 8 he had figured out the church was a joke anyway.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 01:59AM

I don’t remember the authors’ names of a study that concluded that left-handed people started out as a twin where one vanished (or not).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.