Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2020 02:52PM

I have been looking at all the local (Tucson Arizona) food banks operating during this crisis.
I am finding more than a dozen religion oriented organizations listed for food and other help
NOWHERE is the Mormon church, by any of it's names, listed.
Why do you suppose that this is?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 11:08AM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 12:10PM

I saw two missionaries carrying food out of a community church food bank in a neighboring town a while back and load it into an elderly persons car. They went back in so I assumed they were volunteering there.

My first thought was, why are they "volunteering" at another churches food bank instead of "serving" at a mormon food bank?

The answer quickly came to me.....by volunteering, they get the look of being involved with charitable work for the poor and needy. That's all they can do because the church doesn't provide them the opportunity to do it for mormonism.

There simply riding easy on the charitable works of other churches, and the mormon church is happy to let then do so.

Posted by: Sungoddess ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 02:23PM

This just confirms my article about Mormons not helping the poor. If they do it's limited and fake. They also give blankets to the homeless yet leave them in the snow, then brag on ksl how they're the most charitable people in the world. Pisses me off. My article is under midnightseahorse, but this website keeps making me change my user name.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 09:55AM

I live in Roanoke, Virginia and the local paper ran a story of hsw the local food bank received its largest donation EVER of food from the LDSchurch.

There were literally truckloads (as in the 18-wheeler variety) of food. The biggest donation EVER. Right here in faraway Roanoke. Who woulda thought?

I am here on this forum to recover from Mormonism, but if the LDS church does something good, I don't mind speaking up.

Posted by: 1206 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 05:26PM

loislane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > There were literally truckloads (as in the 18-wheeler variety) of food. The biggest donation EVER. Right here in faraway Roanoke. Who woulda thought?
>

Very similar story here in NW Oregon ~ Large semi-truck donation of grub to local food bank, mishies helping with multi-faith food distribution projects, etc. Oregon has a reputation of being unchurched, so maybe things on the fringes work differently. Don't know their true motivation(s), but at least it looks good on the surface. . .

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:57PM

Looks good on the surface is right. They are marketing and PR pros. What they do is take money and food, donated by others, to food banks, bring it into their storhouses and redistribute it. Of course, the cameras are rolling and the wording makes it sound like those trucks of food were donated by mormons. They take credit for the generosity of others and people that are naive to the ways of LDS Inc, believe them.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 12:41PM

For whatever reason, the Mormon church has seen it fit to use other organization's charities as a vehicle for their own charitable contributions. The Mormon church has actually provided a pretty good chunk of money and other donations through the Red Cross, Catholic charities, local food banks, etc.

Maybe this is a smart way of doing things, maybe it isn't. I'm not really qualified to say. One could argue that there are enough charities out there already and it becomes inefficient to create more. Also, the logistics and overhead that comes with running a charity might also be something that is better left to somebody else.

Given the $100 billion nest egg the church is sitting on, I would like to see a lot more giving honestly. But still, give credit where credit is due.

Posted by: otowndrone ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 06:11PM

Know the facts before you post such completely innacurate information about church donations:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/04/30/lds-church-giving-m-cash/

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/04/lds-church-to-donate-42000-pounds-of-food-to-local-food-bank/

https://manchesterinklink.com/nh-food-bank-receives-20-tons-of-food-from-lds-church/

These are just 3 of dozens of hits found on line when you perform a Google search "LDS church donates". These are all recent donations.

I am a non beleiver but tire of the endless thoughtless posts about the Church that have no basis in fact.

The church gives away a lot of cash and goods to organizations not affiliated with the church.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 06:41PM

Oh, do go on!

That first article is a doozy. The LDS church gave $5.5 million to help with the COVID fight? How generous, especially in light of the fact that the church took some $50 million of the COVID rescue package just for its universities! What the lord taketh away from society--well, a tenth of what the lord taketh away--the lord returns to society.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/allocationsforsection18004a1ofcaresact.pdf

And how about the bigger picture? You seem to believe we here don't know the numbers. But the question is whether you do. The church's total charitable donations since the inception of its philanthropic arm in 1985 have totaled $2.3 billion. That's about 2% of the $100 billion in Ensign Peak Advisors, which is just one chunk of the church's wealth. And that is over 35 years, meaning it is 0.07% of a third or so of the church's total wealth per annum: roughly 0.02% of its accumulated wealth, which frankly isn't much to boast about.

How about on an individual basis? How much does the church spend on behalf of each Mormon believer? Assuming membership of 16 million, the church has spent a whopping $145 per member! But wait--that's the total over 35 years. Correcting for that, the church has donated $4.11 per member per year, which Dave the Atheist tells me doesn't even cover a Big Mac Meal.

Almost a McDonalds meal per member per annum: You must be proud to belong to such a magnanimous organization.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 06:49PM

I think what the corporate apologist meant to add was:

100 Billion Whoppers Served

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 07:17PM

Yes, Whoppers without the beef. The LDS is among the world's finest at throwing out whoppers with no nutritional value.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: May 17, 2020 06:31PM

DesertRat please check your facts before posting:

A) The Mormon Church is ready and willing to distribute the additional food and supplies it has asked of its members aside from tithing, fast offerings, temple funds, book of mormons, supporting missionaries not on missions due to viruses, etc. Yes these additional additional donations will be distributed.

B) Any charitable effort shall not exceed 2-3% of the money intake received for the last 20 years.

C) It shall be largely in LDS communities to be seen of men (in this case moremen)

D) If in the event such charity either, in mormondumb or beyond, has taken place the corresponding photo op and news release shall accompany such offerings

E) Yellow shirts will only be considered optional if yellow garments are suddenly accompanied by the reading of such charitable giving so members can feel like their church is normal and money not all being wasted

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:22PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NOWHERE is the Mormon church... .

> Why do you suppose that this is?

MORMONism is a TAKER
NOT a GIVER.

Does that answer your question?

Mormonism is a TICK, or ’tick') (The Invisible 'Church' Klan)

They don't give...

It's all about receiving, not sharing, helping, or even caring about.

It's a STALE (static transitional uprooted lingering ethos)
'church'! Period

Members act!
Leaders TALK.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 07:40PM

Probably waiting until it can get maximum good PR for helping.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 09:29PM

OK I stand corrected
Apparantly food is being distributed in fairly abundant amounts.
If I was wrong I apologize

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.