Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 12:39PM

People who say they have a "hunch" that Covid-19 will disappear or will quickly become a smaller problem are basing their beliefs primarily on feelings, not facts. Similarly, people who bear their testimony that they know the Church is true are basing their beliefs on primarily on feelings, not facts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 12:44PM

“No amount of belief makes something a fact.”

-James Randi

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 12:45PM

I believe you are correct.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 02:12PM

Love that. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 03:37PM

. . . and loves bright shiny objects!

Posted by: SunGoddess ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:54PM

My husband says he knows the mask is true, lol. The sun is angrily shooting out it's covid. One thing the Mormons and christians could be right about is the sun burning itself out.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 12:58PM

Well, small pox disappeared. We wished it away with no effort whatsoever! (Eye roll)

Posted by: Free man ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 06:01PM

Yes, the virus is forever, and we should never go to the store or to work and the government should send us money forever. At least if we take it seriously.

And we should shut down for the other deadly viruses like influenza, and be shut down for those.

Most I know love the feeling of getting paid for not working.

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 06:55PM

Free man Wrote:
----------------------------
> And we should shut down for the other deadly
> viruses like influenza, and be shut down for
> those.

Only about 50% of Americans get the flu vaccine. If they discover a vaccine for the new corona virus, I wonder how many people will get it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 08:00PM

I have yet to see one thing they've said or any opinion that is a FACT. I'm weary of hearing people say that these are facts. Well, the only fact is it might kill you.

I'm 62 and I have diabetes and hypertension. I'm doing fine. My boyfriend's mother is 89 and his sister is in her 50s and has multiple sclerosis and they live together. They are doing fine. They go out walking every day and get take out for lunch. They are in AZ.

Some will get it, some will not. We don't know, but I have yet to see anyone here or on the news, etc., give me one opinion that came to be fact. I've seen many opinions posted on here that they found on line or some study or some whatever, and none of them have been the same.

We'll know the FACTS down the road, but then even then, we won't know the facts. We can all get a vaccine and many probably won't as I don't get a flu vaccine and I have yet to die of it, but I'll get a COVID vaccine, but then I may still get it just like the flu vaccine doesn't work for everyone. My sister used to get it yearly and she got it BAD every year. She quit getting the vaccine and hasn't had the flu since.

It seems that if we don't buy into the same ideas as the majority on the board, then we must be idiots. Still not a death in Cache Valley when just 6 or 8 weeks ago many were telling me "Just wait." We have about 53 cases. HAVE YOU BEEN TO UTAH? Utah has 77 deaths, most in the SLC area. Not even St. George area has had a death.

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 09:11PM

"We'll know the FACTS down the road,but then even then, we won't know the facts."

Interesting epistemology.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 10:04PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We can all get a
> vaccine and many probably won't as I don't get a
> flu vaccine and I have yet to die of it, but I'll
> get a COVID vaccine, but then I may still get it
> just like the flu vaccine doesn't work for
> everyone.

I never got a flu vaccine either. And then I got the flu last year. Bad case. I nearly died, to my surprise. I thought I was strong and healthy, didn't need a vaccine, never got the flu. Until I did. It nearly didn't work out well for me and I was quite ill for many months after, including two hospitalizations. I don't want to ever feel that sick again.

Even so, I will likely wait until there is good evidence that a CV vaccine is safe. Too much rushing on its development makes me nervous. I heard today that here in Canada things are moving along with development of a vaccine so that will be great if it works out.

As for getting the flu anyway, even after having the vaccine. They do say that is possible but apparently you will likely, if that happens, have a milder case than you might otherwise have suffered without the vaccine. I was definitely the first person in the line-up at my GP's office this past autumn to get a flu shot. He had the courtesy not to say "I told you so!" as he had been advising for years but I always said no, don't need it. It's already marked on my calendar for next fall as well. I am thankful to all those who are volunteering for vaccine trials. They have more guts than I do, for sure. And I will be in line to take advantage of their altruism. When all is done and dusted.

I have volunteered for serology testing to see if I have antibodies for a study on general spread of CV in my province. That's all the guts I have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 10:05PM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.