Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 01:28PM

Take it for what it's worth.

My older TBM Mom doesn't have the close gossipy group of Stepfords that she once enjoyed. And she really struggles to use basic computer-smart phone technology so she is out of the social media loop. She prefers her landline phone, but very few members call her these days.

The other day she informed me that one of the church's newest announced temples "California Feather River" in Yuba City will not be a general service type of Mormon experience. This new temple will only be available by INVITATION only. It will only open when a select group of members are notified to meet.

How special!

Currently, my Mom is assigned to the Sacramento temple. Of course, it is currently closed due to COVID. However, even before the virus outbreak, that temple had trouble filling the required workers required to "run a session" or perform the other temple rituals/ordinances.

My Mom speculates that only special members; rich tithing donors and extra pious Mormon leadership will be invited to go inside the exclusive mormon treehouse club.

I should have asked her the source of where she learned this gem, but I think she learned about this through an official church Zoom video conference. I have a sibling who helps my Mom navigate and get connected to see church broadcasts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 01:44PM

I guess the members will find out which class they fall into as soon as it opens.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 01:50PM

That makes sense.

I can only imagine that the retired world temple trotters who drive around hitting ever mormon temple (instead of doting on their children/grandchildren) are going to miserably frustrated to discover that it's closed to them.

"But we have current/valid temple recommends...Let us in!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 01:51PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 15, 2020 01:57PM

'On July 18, 2020, Elder Scott D. Whiting of the North America West Area presidency will preside over the groundbreaking ceremony for the Feather River California Temple, located at 1470 Butte House Road in Yuba City. Attendance at the site will be by invitation only. Additional details will be announced through local leaders. The site for the 38,000-square-foot temple will be shared by a new meetinghouse and distribution center.1"
https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/feather-river-california-temple/

I think it is the groundbreaking and not the temple attending they are talking about.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 19, 2020 05:18PM

See the groundbreaking for the Auckland New Zealand Temple for comparison:

"Elder Ian S. Ardern, president of the Pacific Area, will preside at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Auckland New Zealand Temple on Saturday, June 13, 2020. Attendance at the temple site is by invitation, with the general public invited to watch the proceedings live from local meetinghouses in New Zealand. The temple will stand on Redoubt Road in Manukau between the New Zealand Missionary Training Center and the stake center for the Auckland New Zealand Redoubt Stake. It is the second temple to be constructed in New Zealand."

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/auckland-new-zealand-temple/

A lot of the smaller temples are also open by appointment only, but that's because of the dearth of local members, which makes them keep the sessions to a minimum.

Tempest in a teapot.

Tyson

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 10:29AM

I remember as a youth in the 80's that as a sign of the end times, the church would start building smaller, efficiency temples and that new meetinghouse designs included future conversions to temples within them; all to aid in the 24 hour operation during the millennium.

Perhaps this meetinghouse/distribution center/temple is to
A) Keep those Utah based contractors busy
B) Claim "fulfillment of prophecy"
and, of course
C) Keep the wanna be invitees paying that TITHING!

So glad to be free of all of the bulls*t!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 11:53AM

If I get one of the invites, any of you guys want it ?

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: May 16, 2020 01:43PM

Or maybe the"by appointment only"temples are so empty they're taken to"inviting" you to attend instead. And if you can't make your appointment, you must find someone else to attend

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: May 18, 2020 11:08PM

Tithing for Temples
Dialing for Dollars
CLUBBING FOR CASH

Mormonism is for exclusives, reclusives & EXCUSES.

A non-clubber's club.

A Deal With The Devil.

A Doghouse for the top dogs.

Mormon's golf club, speakeasy, and gambling club all-in-1!

A dirty place to talk about clean things, or clingy things...

Dirty dogs
Dirty digs

Posted by: q ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 08:55PM

Maybe it is one of those "generational ships" like the one on The Expanse and it will, like, fly away.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 09:19PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 02:37AM

offer a Gold-Edged (plus Platinum edition!) Temple Recommend!

include an exclusive invite - member only website for access to insider FP pre-release info;

I can see it now!!

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 01:51PM

I am laughing pretty hard at this because I am from Sacramento. At least growing up, Yuba City was a run down POS town about an hour north on a cruddy highway 99 where one went to score drugs. I know population growth in that direction is booming, but the mental image of an exclusive temple THERE has me roflamo!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.