Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:28AM

I've been on and off the board for about five years. I do find it less contentious, atheists and agnostics Christians all seem welcome. Steve does not boast as often but when he does it is informative accurate and interesting. I think there's more young people on the board now. I don't think the board has never been a place where something that is very close to your heart is not likely to be exempt from criticism. You do need to have a fairly thick skin, and realize that there's still a lot of people in the world that are not nice. But all in all, I weep were often, but don't post as much anymore. I don't feel the need, and I don't live on the board like I used to. I owe my entire recovery to the person's who have posted, giving me advice, tolerated my ignorance, were patient with me, and were cyber friends. The quality of my life, my peace and happiness, I owe to this board, formats change, life is change, a recovery is the focus. New people bring new ideas, change, new ideas. We need to continue to make room for everyone, and to be kind and thoughtful and supportive. I've had a lot of fun here and learn all about myself. I like the new board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 10:46AM

Just playin’ GHD

Ya – Ziller agrees.

Lots of “kids” on here these days – and that is a good thing.

Ziller

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 07:43AM

"Steve does not boast as often..."

That was just plain rude.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:14PM

Just curious ... What is you definition of "kids"? How old?

Date: October 29, 2010 02:56PM

Kids are anyone under 63 years old.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:58PM

get her done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kids are anyone under 63 years old.

Wow, whoda thunk it? I'm still a kid!

Date: October 29, 2010 03:01PM

I'm afraid you'll never grow up.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:37PM

Me too....yeah, I am still a kid!!! It made my day.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:03PM

Of course around here we measure "time out of the church," and being the only one of my siblings who declined to be baptized, I'm closing in on a half century of apostasy...

Heard at an AA meeting...

Old Fart: "I spilled more whiskey in thirty years of drinking of drinking than you ever swallowed, youngster."

Young whipper: "You couldn't have been much of an alcoholic if you lasted thirty years."

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:03PM

YES!!! I'm still a kid!! You've made my day! (I'm 58)

Date: October 29, 2010 03:15PM

Remember, there may be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let that fool you about what's inside.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:20PM

not always a rational adult, unfortunately, but still an adult.

So, pay attention when I speak!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:39PM

Guess I'm all growed up now. (66)

Date: October 29, 2010 07:16PM

Teenager only.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:57PM

Wow, thanks for posting this. I had also been off the board for a few years. I always felt afraid to post before because I'd see a people get ridiculed for voicing things off the top of their heads or *gasp* admitting they had converted to another religion. The other thing I saw were people just ignoring the 'unintersting' posts in favor of commenting 50 times on Benson topics, which were admittedly highly interesting and insightful, but totally dominated the board. It's a MUCH better and more welcoming environment here now.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 01:37AM

I'm back, even though I never dominated the board. You simply appear to have been focused on some of my past threads, which in the entire scheme of the hundreds of posts this board gets a day didn't amount to the overwhelming traffic you claim was running you over. :)

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 01:45AM

So glad to see you back. Now we just need to get Cabbie here more frequently and we'll be inundated with awesome information =)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 12:19PM

I'm about through with the whole "hero-worship the men and their amazing, intellectual insight."

Frankly, I think some of the more dominating men on this board and the other one would benefit greatly if they'd sit down, shut up, and listen to what the women have to say from time to time.

Steve Benson, Tal Bachman, and any other exmo/postmo "celebrity," while those guys are intelligent and good writers and offer useful insight, they are not the be-all, end-all in wisdom. I, for one, am not going to worship at the altar of the penis anymore. I have my own wisdom, knowledge, and insight and I don't need some arrogant guy telling me what or how to think.

So there. ;>)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 12:20PM by dogzilla.

Date: November 03, 2010 12:56PM

Just because someone likes posts from Benson and Cabbie doesn't mean that they don't also enjoy other posts. And I think it's ridiculous to turn this into a gender war. I could care less what gender is posting the information.

Good grief. Take a chill pill.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 02:21PM

Joseph Smith being a patent fraud and God being a soothing myth are ultimately not gender-based matters. They're matters of what the observable, testable evidence indicates as to the veracity of claims made about both.

That said, one of the significant reasons why I left Mormonism was because of its sexism.

So there, backatchya.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 02:39PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 03:15PM

Steve comes back, and already there's shooting and shouting going on...

Hey Dogzilla, you might be needed back at the Postum Board... I hear one of the guys over there is secretly getting testosterone shots... Blow a kiss to "Athena," too, will you? From me (and that's not the "Athena" who posts here). And tell my good friend Grape Nephi that map he put up with the notation "Romans landed here, 300 C.E." needs fixing. That's pure cuckoo clock stuff (it was at the mouth of the Delaware River).

Some Cabbie observations...

I haven't, from my perspective, cut down on the number of posts... You can do a search on my moniker if you wish; the format of the new board means that it takes a bit more effort to "see" posts, that's all. I probably have cut back on the number of posts I've originated, but hey, huntin' season on politicians just ended yesterday, and I've been otherwise occupied...

I've been in touch with Flattop regularly, and trust me, he's with us in spirit (went to the higher-ups at his Ivy League University and hollered about mishies soliciting on campus). And I got an e-mail from Punky a couple of months ago, and Beth just showed back up... I'm not in regular communication with either of those two ladies, BTW... Gotta keep the conspiracy types from going on a feeding frenzy...

And a Cabdriver Confession: Steve Benson and I had breakfast together a little over a month ago... We talked about all of you... Just not very much; it was mostly about ourselves...

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:21AM

Grape Nephi from what I understand simply showed copies of the Holley maps which can be found at http://solomonspalding.com/docs2/vernP3.htm#pg54

Also, he is not on the other board anymore. And never talked with Dogzilla while there anyways.

Holley's book is pretty good for the time period he wrote it.

Grape is gonna going in for heart surgery in a few weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 10:24AM by Gwylym.

Date: November 03, 2010 06:13PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm about through with the whole "hero-worship the
> men and their amazing, intellectual insight."
>
> Frankly, I think some of the more dominating men
> on this board and the other one would benefit
> greatly if they'd sit down, shut up, and listen to
> what the women have to say from time to time.
>
> Steve Benson, Tal Bachman, and any other
> exmo/postmo "celebrity," while those guys are
> intelligent and good writers and offer useful
> insight, they are not the be-all, end-all in
> wisdom. I, for one, am not going to worship at the
> altar of the penis anymore. I have my own wisdom,
> knowledge, and insight and I don't need some
> arrogant guy telling me what or how to think.
>
> So there. ;>)

There does seem to be a bit of hero worship there. I'm not saying that everyone who enjoys their posts are hero worshippers, but I have seen some fawning.

Date: November 03, 2010 06:27PM

But I find it funny that my singular post about being glad to see a poster back has sparked so much contention. I am always glad to see all posters, other than trolls here. I miss a lot of posters like Flattop, Puck, etc. I don't see that as hero worship.

Date: November 03, 2010 06:41PM

I don't think you are, but some others, particularly in the past, seemed to do that. BTW, without naming names, I like some of the posters you like and others really turn me off. We all have posters we like and it isn't hero worship unless we become their personal cheering section. We had some suck ups in the past. I remember one guy who made a point of telling Tal everytime he heard his song on the radio.What was the point of that and how did that contribute to tthe site?

Date: November 03, 2010 06:49PM

I haven't seen much of it on the new board. But then again, the board is a changing, moving, evolving thing. I think the board is great for what it is.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 12:26PM

cabbie and flattopSF!! :(.... he no come here no mo!! :(... Robertb... punky..Beth...etc....

Posted by: yellow ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 12:45AM

Good post...

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 01:12AM

I'm not all grown up and never will be...haven't decided what to do with what time I have left..so many things...

stormy

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:39AM

I took an 8 year break for whatever reason. I came back just to see what was going on here. The most distinct difference is that there are many more that are younger and weren't taught, for example, all the discredited doctrine contained in McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine". We had that stuff drilled into us and now the theme is "...I don't believe we teach that..".

Secondly, you whipper-snappers should be glad that you won't have your throat slashed, your heart ripped out of your chest and your innerds spilled. That'll be my fate for sharing my signs and tokens.

Other than that, and that I still have a ton of Bagley and Benson ink (anyone remember Bagley's "I Was Appalled" collection?). Benson's ink speaks better than his diatribes here. Most of those make me fall asleep. :)

Lastly, many that used to be here in the olden days started another BB for social interaction. We had several "bashes" in SLC with over 50 attendees. Most were side activities to ExMo Conference. Some I still view as best friends.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:46AM

Maybe it was "I AM Appalled" and Benson and Bagley were the culprits. In any event, it's a classic. I can still see the deer with his arm around Kimball... :)

Ron

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:23AM

a great place to get informed, vent and share a few laughs and experiences. I too have not frequented the board as of late, but perhaps that is a good sign as it may be a sign of healing. Anyway, I came here to get caught up and it's good to give some input as well now and again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.