Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 05:21PM

You can too!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/us/coronavirus-human-challenge-study-invs/index.html

"More than 16,000 people -- most of them young adults -- who have signaled their support for a controversial method of speeding up the development of a vaccine by intentionally infecting dozens of volunteers. The signees of the online registry -- a new website called 1 Day Sooner -- have all checked a box next to the statement: "I am interested in being exposed to the coronavirus to speed up vaccine development.
The practice is called a human-challenge study -- or controlled human infection study -- and it can truncate a conventional vaccine study by several months. The reason: Rather than waiting for months to assess what percentage thousands of vaccine-trial volunteers get infected with the disease in question while leading their day-to-day lives, a challenge trial is much simpler, in that it exposes about 100 volunteers directly to the pathogen -- via syringe, cocktail, mosquito bite or nasal spray after an experimental vaccine or placebo is administered. (If the Covid-19 study comes to fruition, experts say it would likely be administered by nose drop.)
But if it's high reward, it's also high risk: Although Covid-19 is a much more deadly disease for the elderly and the compromised than healthy young adults, it is an unpredictable pathogen that has put star athletes in the hospital. What's more, should something go wrong, treatment options are limited.
However, with the disease still raging after having killed more than 82,000 Americans and 291,000 people worldwide since it first appeared in China late last year, some say a riskier-than-normal study is justified."

In order to get herd immunity, 70% of the population would have to acquire Covid Antibodies in a country of 333 million people (like the US) 233 million people would have to either get Corona virus or get injected with antibodies acquired from a survivor who developed them naturally.
With an average IFR (Infection Fatality Rate) of 1.3%, that'd be over 3 million fatalities from Covid in America alone.

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/covid-19/study-puts-us-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-13

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 05:43PM

I signed an interest form, and talked to someone at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, about potentially participating in vaccine trials for the Phizer/BioNTech vaccine candidate(s). They will call me back in about a month. I also looked into the Moderna trial that is currently being run at the NIH in Bethesda. Both vaccine candidates are using a novel mRNA technology.

Since I'm currently finishing up another medical trial, to some degree I know the drill. Beforehand, you are told of the potential risks and rewards very thoroughly. You sign off on a whole lot of forms. You ask your physician for their private opinion. You talk to your family (I was specifically encouraged to do this.) Etc. I'm not saying that I would absolutely want to do this, just that I am willing to discuss it if it comes to that.

What you are talking about is a "challenge trial," and from what I understand it is the normal, last phase of any vaccine development. You take the vaccinated individual and expose them to the pathogen. Because of the severity of CV-19, and the lack of effective treatments, the challenge-trial aspect of vaccine development for Covid is currently a hot topic of debate. One possible solution is to run the challenge trial in animals first. I'm not convinced at this point that a conventional challenge trial in humans will pass ethical muster.

Something that interested me is that a number of vaccines for various illnesses that are currently undergoing trials. At the UMMS I think there are roughly ten vaccines total that are currently undergoing trials, including one for Hanta (a level four virus, similar in severity to Ebola.)

One of the first people who received the Phizer vaccine at UMMS is a PhD student in immunology.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 06:08PM by summer.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 05:51PM

A suicide pact.

Date: May 20, 2020 06:19PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A suicide pact.

for 1.3% it'd be suicidal, but I'd rather get it in the first wave if there was a chance I could be immune to it in the 2nd Wave, which is proving to be much worse, in China, now, because so many people are not immune to it because they didn't let nature run its course.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lack-of-immunity-could-lead-second-wave-coronavirus-china-2020-5

A 2nd Wave coming to the US too, inevitably.
Batten Down the hatches!

Date: May 20, 2020 06:33PM

Maybe you should volunteer.

Date: May 20, 2020 06:55PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Maybe you should volunteer.

Maybe we all should.

Date: May 20, 2020 08:00PM

Leave me out of your death wish.

Date: May 20, 2020 08:15PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Leave me out of your death wish.

I'm 99% certain I'm not in the 1.4% of people who are going to die. I'm fine. I'm young. I'm healthy. I'm fit. I am an outdoorsman, I have no underlying conditions, the list goes on. I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about my Mom. So I am willing to expose myself to Covid, so that I can aquire antibodies that I can then donate to my Mom, to save her life.
I think the 70% least suceptible people shhould all volunteer to get infected to save the 3 million who'd otherwise die.

You do realize that the 2nd Wave has started in China and it's a more virulent, deadly version. The kind that went to Europe, mutated and came back to China. Just like 1918.
It mutated.
And because not enough people have immunities from the first wave, the 2nd wave will take out many times more people.
Who would have known?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 08:18PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 04:13PM

A former colleague's boss who was a well-trained physically fit military person was laid low by the virus for several weeks and had to be placed in a medically-induced coma. They survived but are seriously weakened from their fight.

Another of their colleagues with similar qualities and younger was killed by the virus.

Tyson

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 04:25PM

Exactly.

Even those who recover from the illness often suffer profound and chronic problems. If you like to breathe easily and hope to continue for the next 10 or 15 years, it would be best to avoid infection.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 04:56PM

I agree. Colton Underwood was a former lead on the Bachelor TV show. He is also a former NFL practice team member and is very physically fit. He recovered from Covid at home and never had to be hospitalized. But he said that during the worst phase, his lungs felt like they were at 20% of their normal capacity, and that it was like breathing through a straw.

Plus there is evidence (in general) of lasting lung, heart, and organ damage in some patients.

It is a disease best avoided.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: May 20, 2020 06:23PM

At least it is voluntary unlike the Tuskegee or Guatamala experiments done on those the authorities deemed expendible.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 21, 2020 11:01PM

If they infect you and you’re asymptomatic, do you still get the money?

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 01:54PM

I bet TSCC would like to get ahold of that list. So many people offering their lives to be human guinea pigs. Since the lemmings agreed to be test subjects they probably wouldn’t have recourse if they died during the trials! What a plus for the drug companies. Those people don’t realize the drug companies don’t care about them, just money! Wow, just wow! The church would love so many new converts that would offer themselves for free.

Date: May 22, 2020 02:52PM

wondering Wrote:
> I bet TSCC would like to get ahold of that list.
> So many people offering their lives to be human
> guinea pigs. Since the lemmings agreed to be test
> subjects they probably wouldn’t have recourse if
> they died during the trials! What a plus for the
> drug companies. Those people don’t realize the
> drug companies don’t care about them, just
> money! Wow, just wow! The church would love so
> many new converts that would offer themselves for
> free.

I live in an area that started out as the Epicenter of the Pandemic in America, but reacted quickly to enact Stay At Home orders and imposed social distancing, which flattened the curve. The only people I see not wearing masks at the store are young people, and by young I mean, under 30. They just walk around like they don't have a care in the world, even if they're asymptomatic and could be spreading the disease to people who are most at risk.
Apparently America's motto, instead of "United We Stand" is "Fuck You Grandma! I need a haircut!"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 03:29PM

I'm almost 72 so will probably get the vaccine when it's available.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 03:44PM

If a vaccine proves safe and effective, everyone should take it regardless of age. We need herd immunity since the loss of the elderly, infirm and otherwise vulnerable is always tragic.

We are in this together.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: May 22, 2020 03:50PM

I bet Ammon B, son of Cliven, hasn't put his name on the list despite his big brave talk last month about wanting to catch the virus.

https://q13fox.com/2020/04/10/ammon-bundy-threatens-to-defy-idaho-coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-with-easter-gathering/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.