Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 02:18PM

Suppose you move somewhere that U don't have any history or relatives, etc. close to ChurchCo, can the local leaders search (only) your name in a church database & learn your membership (current or former) details?

just curious...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 02:36PM

I suppose a ward clerk can wonder about the guy who moved in next door, “is he mormon?” and run his name... Sure, why not?

It strikes me that a motive would be needed to run the name...

Date: May 30, 2020 02:42PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose a ward clerk can wonder about the guy
> who moved in next door, “is he mormon?” and
> run his name... Sure, why not?

Danites set up & maintain the database, cross-partnering with ChurchCo security

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 07:06PM

I'm aware that there are two levels to the membership database. If you are correct about 'Danites' having access to it, can any Danite see the top level, the level the Bishop can access, but not the ward clerk?

What is the benefit to the Danites to have access even to the lower level of the database? Taking this to an extreme, the benefit to a Danite would be spotting someone speaking ill of the church and the Danite wondering, "is he an exmo, or just an informed gentile?"

Do Danites kill just hyperactive exmos? Or if they can't find the 'gentile' in the database, is he safe, or do they kill him, too?

Pesky Danites!!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 03:59PM

I’m sure things have changed since I was a ward clerk in the 1980s.

Back then, active families would show up for meetings before we received their membership records. About once a month, the ward executive secretary and I would go out and try to find the people who the church said had moved into our ward without showing up. Our ward was mostly single family homes, but there were a few apartment complexes. The members that we never saw almost always had apartment addresses. Most of the time, the members had already moved on before we ever found them, so we sent their records back to Salt Lake. On those rare occasions that we actually located someone, they really weren’t happy to see us.

We only requested records from the church if a member asked us to do so.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 07:49PM

I'm under the radar. Don't tell TSCC my location. I don't want those jackasses bothering me.

Date: May 30, 2020 08:32PM

OK, now to my circumstance:

I'm OUT (TG!) but I've contacted the local Bp regarding family matters...

Will he be able to (or have clerk) look me up (I've been OUT for abt 10yrs) & see 'my history' with ChurchCo?

or, will he be starting over if he wishes to engage regarding my chat with him?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 07:14AM

So do they actually go as far as looking at the County records to see who owns the home and then running a search in the church database to see if that homeowner is a church member? Theoretically, if there is someone in the ward who works at the utility company, they can get a name of who is paying the water bill or the electric bill and use that information to track down renters. You can run but you can't hide.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 09:27AM

The most common way of locating "missing" members is to check with Mormon family members.

When the local units can't find you, your record gets sent to HQ where member records sees what they can find out.

If the church really wants to find you, they can use all the methods creditors, law enforcement and alumni associations use. We all leave paper trails, actual or digital.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 10:11AM

This is how they are told to do this, if they don't get your number from family members.

https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wiki/Locating_members

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.