Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 10:29PM

This thing about leaders telling - requesting - suggesting that people wear masks is A TOPPER!

- it's as though they think / know that some members are SO STUPID that they can't figure that out for themselves!!!

Oh, you mean members DON'T watch or read the NEWS?

the Simon - Says culture that ChurchCo encourages is INSANE !!!

it's main purpose - outcome - for the Sheeple - is to keep them close to the teat.

DISGUSTING!!!!!

Utahans have KSL & YBU TV, the Depressing News newspaper;

Internet? We Don't need no stinking INTERNET!

'Follow the Profit, he knows what is true'!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2020 10:36PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 10:33PM

Mormons need to be led by their noses.

Date: July 11, 2020 10:50PM

today (Saturday, 7/11?) Trump wore a mask for the first time in public!!!

WOW! I've got him beat by a couple of MONTHS!!! Can I be president now?

I think Romney beat him too, How about senator Lee? has anyone seen Lee wear a mast in public yet?

Date: July 11, 2020 10:50PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 02:51AM

Mike Lee is shopping for a robe for his initiation into the Gadianton Robbers, 2020 edition.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 08:59AM

I am okay with the Mormon leadership telling church members to wear masks. I am okay with *any* sort of leader encouraging others to wear masks. If that's what it takes, I'm all for it.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:19AM

summer:

as with so many things in MoMism-

the 'thing itself' isn't bad or wrong, it's just the totality of the context; Why would any mormon wait to be told (to wear a mask)?

It's a Simon Says kinda deal, assuming mormons are clueless without ChurchCo telling them the fine details of living.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 11:09AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - it's as though they think / know that some
> members are SO STUPID that they can't figure that
> out for themselves!
===============================

Don't you remember being actively discouraged from practicing critical thought by well-meaning 'church' authorities?

This capacity must be actively developed and honed, and if discouraged, we then have a population that must be advised to come in out of the rain.

Once achieving perfection, the Saint literally needs an authority to insert a 'right-thought' to know what to do. Why else are these capable of providing arguments and rationale only in bumper-sticker-speak? These have lost any ability to, from disparate data, synthesize an original independent thought.

For Mormons, that is part of the attraction - thinking is hard work, and if someone else will do it for me why, life decisions are so much easier and I bear no responsibility for my decisions - all is the will of the divine.

One who develops critical thought starts asking questions and is soon no longer in membership.

It's why they don't want members becoming foragers of independent information.

Date: July 12, 2020 11:30AM

Perhaps the best example is the weekly sacrament meeting...
these are truly mind-numbing rituals with almost ZERO attendee engagement.

Once I arranged folding chairs in the gym for PH mtng in a circle so everyone was facing each other... it was like a bomb dropped!

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 12:23PM

Way to topple the power structure GNPE.

Date: July 12, 2020 12:48PM

I Wished, but that didn't happen...

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:10PM

"critical thought ...must be actively developed and honed, and if discouraged, we then have a population that must be advised to come in out of the rain."

Excellent summary. I agree this is something that mormons generally lack. If we look back at all the great inventions through time, all the great public leaders, we don't find many mormons.
1)No mormon philosophers, coming up with cutting edge new ideas, 2)No mormon artists coming up with strange new ways to capture perspectives of beauty,
3)No mormon intellectuals leading the way in science.
4)No mormons fighting to remedy systematic inequality, or climate justice either.
5)No mormons fighting for elimination of poverty.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 12:42PM

I'm surprised they don't get guidance about how to wipe their rears.

Date: July 12, 2020 01:50PM

do U have any evidence that they're Not getting that guidance?

Date: July 12, 2020 01:57PM

I'm not sure what the problem is. When they first issued guidance on restarting meetings a few weeks ago, they encouraged or strongly encouraged masks, I'm not sure of the exact wording. In any case, they were not strictly required.

Now that Utah case rates are high and dangerously close to "going exponential", they are changing their guidance on masks from "encouraged" to "required".

That seems like an excellent decision, considering the changing circumstances, and they need to communicate that to the members. How else are they supposed to communicate that?

Personally, I think they ought to suspend in-person services at least through the end of 2020, and reassess at that time, But changing their mask policy from encouraged to required, or vice versa if infections were declining, I have zero problem with that. It's a corporate policy, and policies change with circumstances. No big deal.

Date: July 12, 2020 02:07PM

BoJ: the context is micro-management

also: when instructions waver, it undermines credibility; aren't church leaders supposed to function (guide members) by inspiration, not by worldly knowledge?

Date: July 12, 2020 03:31PM

>micro-management

OK, then what should they ave done?

>when instructions waver, it undermines credibility

If instructions don't change to accommodate changing circumstances, it also undermines credibility, among other things.

Date: July 12, 2020 03:51PM

I agree U have a point there for ordinary sources of information/guidance... But aren't god's words for-to his people a bit more consistent - not changed by scientific developments?

why did the african - male PH thing change? did (the mormon) god change his mind on that too?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 03:21PM

Petty tyrants love this mask thing. Of course we all know the mask comes into play where you can social distance. All the masks do is stop the droplets of spit that come out of our mouths. If you can distance you don9t need the masks.

But as we know people love control just for control’s sake. Petty tyrants love to give orders and see everyone do what they say and see the loyal snitch out the less loyal. How many Karen’s did you deal with inside the church? The snitches and the snoops? COVID19 has given everyone a little taste of what being a Mormon is like. Ha! Ha! Especially female Mormons. Sister’s veil your faces bow your head and say yes. That will do.

Date: July 12, 2020 03:36PM

Rubicon is part of a secret plot by the gummint to get people to stop wearing masks so that the government facial recognition software can track people's movements.

Pass it on.

Date: July 12, 2020 04:31PM

If ChurchCo wants to INFORM ppl that they won't be admitted to church property without a mask / proper PPE, that would be one thing,

but...

Aren't the saints smart enough to know & conform without churchco telling them?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 02:55AM

GNPE Wrote:
> Aren't the saints smart enough to know & conform without churchco telling them?

Like these members in 'Prove' (that's what I call it {I call a lot of things different things, usually closer to what they really are, like in this case. What's a writer/ inventor/ designer to do?}), Utah?

"Utah meeting on masks is canceled when residents without masks pack room"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/utah-meeting-masks-cancelled-when-residents-without-masks-pack-room-n1234017

NBC News,
Like the SALT
(Salt Lake Area Tribunal)

"This is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing," a county commissioner said to boos.

Mormons aught to BOO their mis'leaders'.

They'll be wearing masks soon enough... besides the invisible ones most in the crowd have on.

They want their kids to be free but they themselves cannot even achieve that.

Date: July 14, 2020 12:18AM

Your don't need the internet to be safe.

A fishing net would probably be safer.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 08:47PM

I don't have a problem with them making an order to wear masks if attending in person. It's very clear and seems to be known by members (members know what to expect).

My problem when I was active in the church as a child of convert was not knowing the implied rules of mormonism. Sure, some rules and expectations were ridiculous and some made sense; it's the "well every member should know that" ones that tripped me up.

The first time that I was called beyond the class secretary in the aaronic p-hood was in the priest quorum. I was the 2nd assistant. A clear expectation was to meet weekly for a "planning meeting". For 6 months I overdressed at these meetings (because the only thing priests did with predictability was to play b-ball in the cultural hall~ everyone else would dress in t-top and bb shorts while I showed up in pants and dress shirt).

So the one time that I dressed casual because I had just finished some yard work. You guessed it~ everyone was there in white shirts and ties with bishop and stake officials. While the bishop was cool about my appearance, the Ym presidencies had plenty to tell me. Apparently, I should have known that the stake leaders drop in the week before stake conference and to wear appropriate Sunday best.

And that's how most of my unpleasant church experiences occurred, I was always expected to know the many unspoken but understood mormon quirkiness that you're expected to know and comply.

Posted by: mrbeel ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 07:25PM

As a neverMo, I'm wondering why the men need masks- they're doubly protected by their "priesthood power" and their "magic underwear", no? I can see the ladies, being only half-protected, feeling the need for masks.

Date: July 17, 2020 02:38AM

GNPE Wrote:
> This thing about leaders telling - requesting -
> suggesting that people wear masks is A TOPPER!
>
>
> - it's as though they think / know that some
> members are SO STUPID that they can't figure that
> out for themselves!!!
>
> Oh, you mean members DON'T watch or read the NEWS?
>
>
> the Simon - Says culture that ChurchCo encourages
> is INSANE !!!
>
> it's main purpose - outcome - for the Sheeple - is
> to keep them close to the teat.
>
> DISGUSTING!!!!!
>
> Utahans have KSL & YBU TV, the Depressing News
> newspaper;
>
> Internet? We Don't need no stinking INTERNET!
>
> 'Follow the Profit, he knows what is true'!!!

So...

What are you going to do about it?

What can we do?

Hope you get well soon.

Date: July 17, 2020 02:56AM

ufotofu:

If U care to defend the Profit-'President' of Mormonism, the reported $100 B in reserves or assets,

the 'quorum of the 12 apostles'

the 70's

the 'Area Representative'

the Bishops and/or Stake Presidents....

I suggest you either start or join a like-minded group, either in person or otherwise, Really!!!

Sincerely, GNPE

Date: July 17, 2020 09:36AM

I'm not on defense.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Date: July 17, 2020 09:46AM

Once more with patience since I believe U either didn't read the previous posts or don't understand them:

Mormonism is a Simon Says religion / organization, that's why we use the term Sheeple.

Mormonism has an explicit track-record of micromanaging members, perhaps the best example (at least comes to mind immediately) is teaching people that certain sexual positions are prohibited.

#2: Several years ago, mid 70's, a FP SM letter told members that de-caf coffee was OK.... Where is that now?

'continuing revelation'?

down the memory hole?

What about teaching people correct principles?

Date: July 17, 2020 10:01AM

Or don't care.

I thought you were taking about masks.

I'm a leader, not a follower

I don't like rhetoric or nonsense. That includes arguments.

Is this topic going anywhere? Asking for a friend.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 10:06AM

They have been taught for so long that feelings are equal to if not more important than critical thinking and science. They are easy prey for MLMs, antivax movements, conspiracy theories and just general nonsense.

Sometimes the leaders have to remind the flock that they should be doing the logical thing, even if their friends on facebook told them to do otherwise.

Its not my nonmember friends that post about Bill Gates wanting to inject microchips in me with a Covid vaccine. Its not my nonmember friends that are afraid of 5G.

I am sure these people exist outside of the LDS church, but the church makes it REAL easy to become an idiot if you choose to be. There are tons of idiotic friends to cheer you along your way.

Date: July 17, 2020 10:35AM

TYVM for your contribution, Wowza!

Date: July 17, 2020 02:00PM

this is More Important, more Basic - Fundamental than all the other reasons or effects!!!

In saying so many do's & don't ... ChurchCo is actually ROBBING PEOPLE OF THEIR OWN, INNATE SENSE OF RIGHT / WRONG.

It's a palpable co-dependency; ChurchCo is (supposedly) dependent on members for financial & fellowship support, the members cling to 'every word that leaves the prophet's mouth'...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2020 02:01PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.