Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 08:19PM

Copied this from another thread on this site. Its a must watch.

JUST OUT...THIS IS A MUST SEE...MORMON STORIES #1339...ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNYUyHg3pY

After watching it some of the top brethren have to know what was going on since the era of Bushman. I remember going to all sorts of Know Your Region activities, reading Ensign articles about BoA, just devouring what they said as true. Buying BYU books about the topic. When you listen to this pod cast, they made it clear that the BYU scholars were dishonest in what they were teaching. "They knew better" is the term in the podcast. "They say they should have known better." I know find out the true facts were out there when I was growing up.

It incredible that a scholar in the podcast is able to explain in simple language that what JS said about the Egyptian stuff and BoA is so wrong and incorrectly dated. Remember JS said, and I have old sets of LDS scriptures, that he "translated" the records. Next conference needs to be dedicated to explaining what the heck is going on. And correcting the record. I doubt it will happen.

BYU has just lost a lot of credibility with this podcast. I am glad I have my degrees from a good Catholic secular university, the University of Windsor. At least I know when I present my credentials no one will question them or the people that taught me.

One thing I learned in the podcast was the Egyptians believed that people had to go through doors to the other side. They had things they had to do at these doors. Just like in the temple. We have things to do at the veil. Did JS just borrow this idea too? This week I learned that three three knocks with the mallet that is done at the veil in the temple is also used in the masonic ceremony. I was told by a mason that the three knocks is very important. Out of respect I did not ask what they mean in masonic terms. Again was there anything that JS did not borrow from someplace else?

I find it hard to believe that the top 15 do not know any of this stuff. If they do and they are not addressing it, that says a lot about their character. I also understand that if they do, it will say a lot about the character of JS. I am tired of the lies and the deception and wonder what is happening in the Church that we do not know about. I paid a lot of money to the Church just to have them lie to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 11:31PM

Credentialed egyptologists have debunct the book of Abraham for over a century. Mormons don't care.

On 29 Dec 1912 the New York Times ran a two page article complete with pictures referencing 8 egyptologists and their opinions on the book of Abraham. Declaring to the world the Joseph was a fraud at translating Egyptian.

A pamphlet was made based on this article. Guess what? Mormons didn't care.

Again in the late 60s early 70s similar articles and books came out. Mormons soldiered onwards.

I don't think mormons care. Period. They turn a blind eye and like lemmings scurry off the cliff.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 12:04AM

After being told all this, the church bought the papyri in 1967. They were thought to be lost. They hired a professional Egyptologist and waited with baited breath for vindication. Predictably, they learned that the translation was completely bogus. Again. Did that go down the memory hole too?

Mormonism was a mind screw that took me years to get over. It’s not malice, it’s cult thinking. You can see it with a certain politician. Mormons don’t think, they feel. That’s the whole point. And their feelings are manipulated for monetary extraction and loyalty to the cult. Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

You are just starting down the rabbit hole. Your identity is imploding and soon you will be picking up the pieces to build a new you. Born of the water, then of the spirit, then of the shelf collapse. Think of crossing a stream. You don’t get to spend your life on one rock.

Slamming Mormonism is my favorite hobby, but I give JS credit for reading the 19th century American zeitgeist and building a religion that exactly fit it. Unfortunately, it started as a cult of money diggers. Yes, the original 1830 church congregation consisted mostly of Joseph’s money digging associates. It was about the money from day one. If they told the truth now, it would hurt the cash flow.

The “religion” isn’t aging well. We live in a time when facts matter. In the church, they don’t. They even say so. So if facts don’t matter, which facts? If I’m supposed to believe stuff made up by a con man (that are absolutely known to be made up), shouldn’t I just make up my own beliefs to suit my fancy? I’m more qualified than some horn dog who just wanted to use people. Mormonism does actually work to the extent that its adherents have raw faith. It’s the faith that does the work because the doctrine has no basis in reality. There’s a whole world of faith out there, if you don’t want to lose that. Mormonism is a harmful cult because it’s manipulative and controlling. It’s a perversion of religion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 12:51AM by bradley.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 07:33AM

Fairmormon.com also says that despite the usage of the word "translation" and it said specifically in the heading of the Book of Abraham that it was "written by his(Abraham's) own hand upon Papyrus" that actually, J.S. used the word translation to mean revelations because he also "translated" sections of the Bible without seeing any ancient text. Bull. It says right in Abraham's header that this is what the Papyrus said. Why start a book off with a huge lie like that? If he meant, "Actually, God told me this entire book" - "translated" then why mention the papyrus and what Abraham wrote at all?

Another thing I hate is how they make the distinction between J.S. operating as a man verses times he operated as a prophet. What the H does that even mean? Prophets are supposedly the most righteous of us, closest to God, that they actually talk with Him and all. I just don't understand how God could let his man screw up like that. I mean, I get free will and the nature of pride and obedience and all, but it is "genuine scripture." If all of it was given to him by God, why wouldn't he say, "Yeah, uh, don't mention the papyrus in the header, 'kay? That is my word and my will, Joe." You can't say that prophetic revelations are J. S. "acting as a man not as a prophet of God." It's doublespeak.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 10:11AM

The church is guilty of funding the advanced degrees of church apologists, and then employing them at BYU, in an effort lend credibility to the church's desired narrative. To people who do not know any better, the church can trot out BYU professors who have earned PhDs at places like Yale, Harvard and UCLA, and present them as "respected" experts in their field when they make their presentations. The problem is that other experts who have no connection with the church do not agree with the BYU experts conclusions, and often find the claims laughable. We see a perfect example of this in the latest Mormon Stories/Radio Free Mormon podcast. John Gee is a Yale educated Egyptologist who teaches at BYU, and makes presentations to "prove" the Book of Abraham to be true. But in the podcast, we have John Gee's professor at Yale, Dr. Robert Ritner, one of the world's premier Egyptologists, eviscerating not only John Gee's arguments, but John Gee himself for being so irresponsible in his claims. Egyptology and the Book of Abraham is not the only area where BYU and the church are guilty of doing this. The church has done this in the area of mesoamerican archeology as well, and non-church affiliated experts have angrily dismissed many of the claims made by BYU's so-called "experts". This is blatant academic dishonesty being perpetuated by BYU and church leadership.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 10:23AM by alsd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.