Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 08:28PM

Rev. Jerry Falwell Jr. got caught in a photo with his zipper down..and has taken a leave of absence from his university president gig. Can't make this shit up..gotta love it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 08:39PM

The photo was taken in a bedroom aboard a yacht.

Posted by: Fellwell ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 09:07PM

Here's the picture. Not sure what the fuss is about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobDownenChron/status/1290134409757130754/photo/1

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 10:04PM

About the idiots in the pic. Look again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 10:51PM

Eww!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 01:30AM

"Jerry Falwell Jr. is on an “indefinite leave of absence” from Liberty University following some extra-marital naughtiness he chose to share on Instagram, and I think it’s useful to view these extremely common stories not as the hypocrisies of Christian leaders who fail to live up to their own loudly-professed beliefs, but rather as the entirely ethically consistent acts of the high priests of a white supremacist hate cult masquerading as a legitimate religion." -- ShowerCap

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 11:05AM

Whats wrong?

1. His pants are undone and the zipper is down.

2. HER shorts are also not buttoned up.

That guy is a major pond water scum sucking bastard!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 12:52PM

1. He was the head of Liberty University where the code of conduct is similar to BYU's. The fundamentalist Christian college meccas are Baylor, Bob Jones, and Liberty. Liberty got rid of the interracial dating ban after watching Bob Jones lose their non-profit status.

IOW, big drunk hypocrite.

2. The public should never be forced to see those drawers.

IOW, crime against humanity.

Date: August 07, 2020 10:07PM

Caught, or Poised, Pissed (drunk), & Posed?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 11:04PM

I suspect it was posed, and probably one or both drunk. That said, the Rev Dr Falwell was clueless enough to post the photo on his FaceBook page. Forget moral turpitude. He should be fired for sheer stupidity.

Date: August 07, 2020 10:53PM

What the heck was he thinking to post that shot?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 11:42PM

his excuse is that she is pregnant and couldn't zip her shorts over her belly, so he posed with his belly sticking out like hers...."allegedly" (as Steven Cobert would say). Claims the drink is just black water.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 10:31AM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> his excuse is that she is pregnant and couldn't
> zip her shorts over her belly, so he posed with
> his belly sticking out like hers...."

If so, he was just being silly. Silly can be fun.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 03:57PM

absolutely. the fact that even non-religious people think his behavior is appalling shows how screwed up religion and our perspectives of religion are.

Date: August 08, 2020 04:41PM

The pants he was wearing look like they never fit him. Maybe they were hers as well?

As for drunk shenanigans, a) don't let someone get photographic evidence, and b) definitely don't post said photos on social media.

Posted by: Slick Jelly ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 12:07AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 12:50AM

The biggest two-word-and-one-comma mistake ever made.

Date: August 08, 2020 01:19AM

good for him.

now he can let his hair down and go live his life without worrying about appearances. he's probably a lot of fun on the boat.

Date: August 08, 2020 09:29AM

I looked up his net worth. Estimates range from a low of $10 million to a high of $100 million. I assume that the higher estimate is based on whatever he inherited from his pastor father.

I think I went into the wrong line of work, lol.

Date: August 08, 2020 03:58PM

that picture might get you fired too. :)

you want to give it a try and see what the district says?

Date: August 08, 2020 04:40PM

If I had $10 million plus in the bank, I sure wouldn't be teaching anymore! :)

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 12:17AM

He's not a preacher, or a Reverend. He's a lawyer. A spoiled little rich kid blowing through Daddy's money. Just like his pal, Trump. Want and eyeopener? Google "Falwell, Gay Hotel, Michael Cohen,pool boy"

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-jerry-falwell-jr-miami-beach-pool-boy-evangelical-explained-850380/

Date: August 09, 2020 02:18AM

So he's been up to shenanigans for a long time now. Why am I not surprised by this?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 10:31AM

The quicker they sleep.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 04:30PM

I don't get what the big deal is about here. If they were both wearing a swim suit at a public swimming pool, you would probably see more exposure of each of them in that case. No uncovered sex organs were actually on display. I've seen much more skin as a youth at a large open pool area full of both youth and their adult chaperones who were all participants at a church sponsored youth conference, forty years ago. That doesn't mean that this Falwell guy isn't a real asshole and a hypocrit. But we already knew that. It's always the ultra-religious that are the biggest hypocrits. He should be shamed for what he has stood for his whole life, not for a relatively innocent picture like this. If someone can catch a photograph of him with his pants down with a prostitute in a seedy motel, that might be worth discussing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 04:44PM by azsteve.

Date: August 08, 2020 04:45PM

That photo wouldn't have flown at my very open-minded alma mater. But this is Liberty University we're talking about. Liberty U. would give BYU a run for its money when it comes to control over student behavior. Jerry Falwell, Jr. has run that school with an iron fist. So yeah, it's going to raise a lot of eyebrows.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 04:52PM

I'm really surprised that many here aren't making that connection. If it were anyone else, sure, who cares, but this isn't just anyone.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 09:42AM

Exactly. The fact it was Liberty "University" is why this is a big deal. The height of Christian hypocrisy is right there on display.

If it had been anyone else not involved with self righteous pearl clutching moral preaching leadership, no one would give a crap.

Date: August 09, 2020 10:21AM

One of the verboten items at Liberty is the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages, which is probably why Falwell was so quick to explain away the drink in his hand.

Apart from that, the school bans extra-marital sexual relationships, gay or transgender sexual relationships (even if married,) and getting or facilitating an abortion. Women's skirts must be no shorter than 2" above the knee. Shorts are banned in class. Students are not permitted to attend dances. They are not permitted to visit alone with a member of the opposite sex off campus.

Students get only one excused absence from each semester's mandatory convocations. One convocation featured Ted Cruz announcing his candidacy for president.

I think there are further rules and unwritten "rules," but I can't confirm them.

The school used to ban R-rated and above movies, and M-rated or above video games, but they've relaxed those restrictions. Formerly banned items also included couples doing anything more than hand-holding in public, and long hair on men.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/10/30/the-worlds-largest-christian-university-relaxes-some-rules-for-students/

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 05:40PM

So what you're saying is something like "Picture Dallen Oakes and his wife in this photograph instead of Jerry Falwell". Is that correct? Cause Dallen neither asks for apologies, nor does he give them. Maybe Jerry isn't such a hypocrit by comparison. I have to laugh and ask myself, 'what would the Mormon church do if it were Dallen Oakes?'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 05:42PM by azsteve.

Date: August 08, 2020 09:10PM

That would be rather fun, wouldn't it? Or that fun power couple, Rusty and Wendy. :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 07:11PM

I like how he said the rum and coke was a "black water" prop.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 10:46PM

Smarmy school

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 10:52PM

lol if Joseph Smith were alive he too might have used "the underage brides thing was just a prop!" phrase

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 10:52AM

Untold Bible story: Jesus often took Mary Magdalene on fishing trips. One time when Jesus was out on the Sea of Galilee with his disciples, it was a slow day so Jesus turned water into wine out of boredom. They didn’t want it to go to waste so they drank it. They all got pretty wasted since it was a lot of wine. In the morning, Jesus didn’t remember what happened and Mary wasn’t talking although she looked at him with a twinkle in her eye.

Date: August 10, 2020 04:11AM

"If someone can catch a photograph of him with his pants down with a prostitute in a seedy motel, that might be worth discussing."

That is basically what this is, plain and simple... not to mention foolish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.