Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SATX_nomo ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 12:11AM

My TBM wife and daughter kept repeating how they were in shock about what was said at conference this morning. What was so profound and shocking??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 01:16AM

I'd truly like to know! Ask Them!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 02:12AM

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 04:03AM

Maybe they were shocked at how bad it was. No love. No spirit. Empty.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 04:12AM

but that (no love, no spirit) wasn't new or unique for GC...

Posted by: talktoyourownfamily ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 05:24AM

Ask them.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 05:56AM

A lot of us exmos would rather not broach *any* subject related to Mormonism with our TBM family members. It's like opening Pandora's can (or imagine a box of worms).

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 07:55AM

What’s profound and shocking to me is that after 19 years out of mormonism, I finally had a time where it hadn’t even occurred to me that it’s conference weekend. And it’s already a whole day passed. Guess cause I don’t religiously follow this site like I used to.

But if there was an actual shock from the conference, could it have been that Dallin Hoaks finally professed his true sexual orientation? That would shock me. I have believed he’d take that secret (no secret to those who understand why he’s so homophobic) to his grave.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 09:44AM

YASSS!!

WE DID IT!

we got that far away!

this truly is a bright point.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 09:43AM

omg did i do it?

did confrunz happen and I 100% didn't even know it was coming?

I'm that recovered?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 10:09AM

I too would like to know what was so shocking in Oak's talk. But, don't worry, soon enough you will be able to read his exact words, after they have been corrected, and find out for yourself.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 06:39PM

Some conference words cannot be taken back. Likely the Church News covered Saturday's talks in yesterday's edition even though the issue went to press before those talks were actually given. It is customary for the CN to be given copies of talks before the start of conference. Reports appearing in the Saturday edition are written up from those prepared copies. Staff would then sit either in the conference center or in front of a TV comparing what was actually being said with the prepared text to make sure nothing dramatic was being adlibbed. Major changes were rare. All bets were off when LeGrande Richards spoke.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 12:11AM

Or Golden Kimball!

Posted by: Canuck guy ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 06:47PM

Here is what a Deseret News story reports:

Root out racism, build unity amid political division, Latter-day Saint leaders say during first session of global conference
By Tad Walch@Tad_Walch Updated Oct 3, 2020, 2:11pm MDT

SALT LAKE CITY — Latter-day Saints must help root out racism and strive to increase unity in an era of widespread political division, violent protest and pandemic, church leaders said Saturday morning during the opening session of the faith’s 190th Semiannual General Conference.

“As citizens and as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we must do better to help root out racism,” said President Dallin H. Oaks, first counselor in the First Presidency.

He directly addressed the U.S. presidential election and the summer’s series of protests. He affirmed the right of Americans to peaceably assemble to protest but condemned violence and property damage, though he plainly stated that “there have been injustices. In public actions and in our personal attitudes we have had racism and related grievances.”

“This country should be better in eliminating racism, not only against Black Americans, who were most visible in the recent protests, but also against Latinos, Asians and other groups,” he said. “This nation’s history of racism is not a happy one and we must do better.”

He also said Latter-day Saints “peacefully accept the results of elections. We will not participate in the violence threatened by those disappointed with the outcome. In a democratic society we always have the opportunity and the duty to persist peacefully until the next election.”

President Oaks said Jesus Christ’s teaching to “love your enemies” is the key to overcoming divisiveness.

“Anger is the way to division and enmity,” he said. “We move toward loving our adversaries when we avoid anger and hostility toward those with whom we disagree. It also helps if we are even willing to learn from them.”

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 07:13PM

Yeah, I'm guessing maybe the admonition to shun racism is causing some brain circuit problems with political alignment discrepancy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 07:40PM

"We must do better to root out racism!" -- said all the white and delightsome leaders of the Mormon church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2020 07:40PM by summer.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 11:39PM

I sat through the whole conference with DH, but I kept falling asleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2020 11:39PM by relievedtolearn.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 12:18AM

I still can't figure out what a TBM would find so shocking about his talk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.