Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: neverconverted ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 07:22PM

Has anyone ever experienced any kind of "spiritual" visitings or "haunting" type stuff at the BFD? I over heard an old mormon friend's mom talking, and she said that there was some sort of "visitation". She was very excited.

Just wondering. Anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 07:23PM

and everyone thought it was a "sprit visitation".

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:53AM

This kind of thing was much discussed in meetings and church literature in the 60s and 70s; I don't know about later. One of the favorites was a family being sealed and a voice suddenly speaking out of nowhere which turned out to be a forgotten child who'd died as an infant and who wanted to be sealed, too. There were also apparitions of the people who wanted their work done and appeared in the temple to observe the baptism, confirmation, endowment, etc. I wonder if TBMs still tell these stories?

The one I remember best didn't happen in a temple. It occurred in a meetinghouse where the organist, who had recently lost a son and was deeply grieving, was practicing. Suddenly her deceased son appeared, walked up the aisle, and talked to her, saying she should stop her grieving and continue with life.

Glad I wasn't a kid when I heard this junk.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 01:42AM

family being sealed and a voice suddenly speaking out of nowhere which turned out to be a forgotten child who'd died as an infant and who wanted to be sealed, too.

Why would the kid want to be sealed to a family who didn't even remember him? LOL

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 01:36AM

They used to always tell us that we would be super popular in heaven because all the people we were baptized for would be our biggest fans - so when I was 12 for every baptism I would imagine that person having a heavenly celebration and screaming "Lisa you are the BEST!"

Mostly to keep myself awake.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 04:02AM

A simple thank you would suffice. But noooo I never got that. People talked about seeing relatives in peace and stuff, or seeing angels (the spirits in their redeemed form).

We go out of way to do temple work some spending hours there and back to get there. And thus, and not even a thank you from the spirits, that you did the work for are they enjoying heaven that much to not extend curtosy or even an encouraging work when life kicks us in the nads?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 08:36AM

When one of my friends was a teen, she did Baptisms for the Dead for the first time. She swore that every time she came up out of the water, she heard shouts of joy. All except for one, so she knew that person hadn't accepted it.

She was afraid to open her eyes, because she didn't want to see anything.

That friend has left the Church, so I should ask her about that now.

She's the sort of person who has probably never lied in her entire life, so I'm wondering if it was one of those "heard it with my spiritual ears," sort of things.

Posted by: MJF1980 ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 09:47AM

I read some story once, years ago, of a family doing a seance trying to contact a dead relative when he appears to them wearing chains. The spirit explained that he was enjoying the bliss of heaven when suddenly he was informed by God that a Mormon had done a baptism for the dead on his behalf and the next thing he knew he was burning in Hell.

Date: July 02, 2011 09:58AM

MJF1980 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read some story once, years ago, of a family
> doing a seance trying to contact a dead relative
> when he appears to them wearing chains. The spirit
> explained that he was enjoying the bliss of heaven
> when suddenly he was informed by God that a Mormon
> had done a baptism for the dead on his behalf and
> the next thing he knew he was burning in Hell.

I saw a Christian woman on YouTube once saying that she left Mormonism to become a Christian after she had a near-death experience and ended up in hell because she was Mormon.

That's the weird thing about paranormal experiences. They tend to contradict each other a lot.

Some are seeing dead relatives asking to be Mormon. Others are saying they're in hell because they're Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 09:59AM by Greyfort.

Date: July 02, 2011 10:04AM

I've heard that about the Toronto temple. I do know that when I worked in a chapel, I often heard people talking and music playing. I'd come out into the hall and there was never anyone there.

I mentioned it to one of my co-workers and he said, "Oh, yeah. This chapel is haunted."

I used to go into the chapel to pray, but I had to stop because I always felt really strongly that someone was sitting right behind me, but I knew I was alone in the chapel.

One day, I walked past the chapel doors and there was an ice-cold cold spot. I checked for air-conditioning vents nearby and didn't see any. It was there for about 15 minutes. Ice cold. I really felt like someone was standing there, staring at me. It only happened that one time, never happening again.

I'm pretty skeptical about the paranormal, but I still find it fascinating. That experience was certainly interesting.

But yeah, I think I will ask that friend about her 'shouting' experiences while she did baptisms for the dead.

I never had any weird experiences in the temple myself, except for the ceremonies themselves. LOL But I do know a lady whose son promised he'd turn out all the lights after he died of cancer.

One day, when she was in the temple, sure enough, all the lights went out. The film kept rolling, but all the lights went out. They couldn't figure out how the heck that happened. She was convinced it was her son.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 01:57PM

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 09:58AM

Story from the Toronto Temple.

I don't remember if the person was cleaning the Temple or closing the Temple for the night, but they were checking every room. This person heard a piano playing and the music came from one of the rooms that was already checked, she went back to find the person playing and telling him/her they were not supposed to be there. There was no one in the room. She left, the music continue and went back again. Someone else told her that this happens often in the Temple, music playing when there is no one there.

Ever since I heard that I would sit in the room while waiting for a session and as sometimes they had music, I'd wonder if this came from the same source as the story.

I used to admire those who stand at F&T and tell of their wonderful experiences. I personally tried as hard as I could to experience something special at the Temple but it didn't really happen for me.

D

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:41PM

it would be great to get precorded music or conversations playing in random rooms around Temples and chapels, but get turned off by motion detectors.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 02:09PM

Being the last one to close up the temple after dark. That place is cold as a funeral home in the middle of the day.

Posted by: yeehah ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 10:26AM

My parents have been on a couple of temple missions. I asked them about this once, and they said they never saw anything.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 12:42PM

The setting is perfect for the unconscious to play tricks.

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 01:36PM

The Mormons in general believe the Founding Fathers of this country appeared in the St.George Temple in a ghostly haunting and demanded that they be baptized and have their temple work done, lol.

Yeah, Jefferson and Franklin and some of the other Deists wanted to join so they could be Mormon aristocracy on the other side. Oh, and many Mormons think Big Foot is Cain and Cain is Big Foot; LMAO, sorry not trying to charge the subject. Just part of all the lunacy, is why I included Sasquatch.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 08:21AM

We could see it take form and then it broke the surface quite violently.

Turned out it was just a fart. But things were exciting for a moment there.

Posted by: itty ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 05:45PM

the one time I was dragged to do baptisms for the dead I became ill with guilt and shame. this was at a time where I was still young and naive and still assumed the church to be true.

for weeks after the baptisms I had terrible nightmares where the girls I had baptized wanted to devour me whole for what I did to them.

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 07:13PM

Well if there is an afterlife, wouldn't YOU be pissed if someone dead dunked you? I know I would be.

No wonder there's so many pissed off ghosts in that place!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 07:20PM

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 07:33PM

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 09:50PM

I once had an old officiator hovering around me as I pushed the slip of paper into the machine that projected the deceased's name onto the screen in the font. He told me I was doing it wrong when I placed a check next to the names that had been done. It turned out that the check mark was to be below the name, not next to the name. Stupid me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.