Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 02:29AM

Maybe back in April, I'd have to check my Amazon List of Useless Purchases to be certain, I decided that I would write lovely letters to friends with whom I'd fallen out of touch. This endeavor required the purchase of proper stationery and a proper pen suitable for left-handed writers who smudge ink due to hook hand. I decided to be honest with myself and skip the calligraphy pens. My middle school offered a class in calligraphy where they unsuccessfully tried to break me of my left-handed hook. We purchased nibs and India ink, because calligraphy, and the instructor would not allow me to rotate the paper so that I was writing below the line as opposed to across it. I boo that instructor, but I had an epiphany: Hebrew and Arabic may have been created by lefties who realized that writing from right to left, as opposed to from left to write, was the ticket. I have no basis for this opinion other than it makes sense to me, a lefty, who would no longer have to deal with the ink smudge across the paper and a dirty hook hand. It happens with pencils. It happens with markers. It happens with chalk on a black board. It happens with dry erase markers. I've lived 50+ years of smudged class notes and generally unintelligible penmanship. It's hard to live in a right-handed world.

I learned to sew when I was seven years old. This was before The Left Handed Shop opened, and closed, on Pier 49. This was before Ned Flanders made the plight of the left-handed a cause célèbre. Until then, no one cared about our pain. There were no left-handed or uni-handed scissors. The clothes iron electrical cord did not attach to the back of the iron; it attached to the right side causing horrific yanking and wrinkling of fabric as one tried to press seams. I left the world of cheap aluminum Kindergarten scissors and entered the right-centric world of molded pinking shears designed solely for The Right.

And what's up with "a scissor" opposed to "the scissors"? Who are these A People? Just another way to keep the lefties down.

Then there's knitting. I was even younger when I learned to knit and crochet. My preschool teacher was crocheting while we were at recess on the scary-ass astroturf row home roof that somehow was approved for four-year-old play. Mrs. Cross, who lived up to her perpetually-pissed name, taught me how to crochet - as a righty does. My great aunt, Ida Dear, who did *not* live up to her soubriquet, started teaching me how to knit when I was about six years old...as a righty. Field hockey sticks? Made for short righties who can run in a crouched position. Old-timey wooden lacrosse sticks? Righties. Ugh.

So nix the calligraphy for my proper COVID letters and, hello! Second sheets, anyone? Remember those? Not a second sheet to be found for my proper stationery.

But I found a somewhat proper pen for my COVID letters.

Time to write! Which meant time to track down people with whom I'd lost touch. Annnd then I thought about how creepy it would be if someone I'd forgotten even *existed* looked me up on the internet and sent me a letter. Stalkery for sure. Then I thought, "Hmmm...I bet there is a damn good reason we fell out of touch." Inxnay on the etterslay.

Great. Glad I didn't spring for sealing wax. <-- Hey! It was the only adult-sanctioned use of fire in my house. I sealed the shit out of some letters. And The Great Blue Marble hooked me up with a pen pal in England who wrote the dates of her letters all funny, in the wrong place, with an address(!) at the top of the letter, and she wrote weird words. Sadly, I didn't live up to the pal part of the bargain, and Great Blue Marble wouldn't let me exchange her for someone who wrote American in a poor hand like I did. I wonder how she's doing. I should look her up.

So, yeah. No COVID letters were written until two weeks ago. Months before, my mother asked me to send her some iridescent feathers when my ducks molted. Actually, she wanted my to pick some from a live duck. That didn't happen.

Eventually my ducks molted, and I found some lovely black feathers with iridescent shades of green, blue, and purple. Hurrah! But how do you send feathers in the mail? You Google "origami envelope," grab some printer paper, cut it into something resembling a square with your right-handed Fiskars, fold an envelope, squeeze those feathers in there, find a piece of sturdy junk mail stock, cut that to fit a #10 envelope, and send your mom duck feathers shoved in a printer paper origami envelope shoved into a #10 envelope that has been reinforced with Burger King coupons.

And you forget to enclose a note.

Off it goes into the wild with two forever stamps because who knows how much that Rube Goldberg thing weighs, and you wait. And you wait. And you wait until your mom calls you thrilled by not only the feathers that she WEARS in her HAIR, but she tells you that she's going to figure out how you folded that envelope that came with the Burger King junk mail coupons.

You decide it's time to break out the proper stationery, but you've misplaced your proper pen. You write a smudged letter apologizing for the smudges and then you realize you tossed the other feathers you found because Mom made you mad. Damn. But she liked that piss-poor envelope you folded, so you go back to Amazon and look for proper origami paper, read about proper origami paper, realize that you can't leap from printer paper to washi paper, you are NOT a MacArthur Genius paper folder, so you spring for the cheap stuff that smells like a chemical factory.

You fold an itty bitty kimono in lieu of feathers, throw that thing in an A2 envelope that came with the stationary with no second sheets and you forget to mail it for a week. You write another letter and fold the saddest lighthouse ever. As I write this, the letter is on my left, lonely and unposted.

This evening I folded the UGLIEST butterfly on too-big paper. I think that smaller is better in paper folding.

And now it's time to break the seal and grab another beer before my second attempt at folding a freaking butterfly, this time with smaller paper.

N.B. Don't accidentally chew your meds. Swallow.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 03:05AM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 03:05AM

I award this post two George Carlins. The second one is just for the closing line, which would have caused a coffee spew, had I had coffee.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 04:10PM

Coffee in Utah?

Hey, good book title... If you want to talk about Mormonism maybe.

Date: October 09, 2020 04:11PM

Beth. Missing one of your posts would be a tragedy. If you write 1000 books I would buy every one.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 06:14PM

Thank you, Beth. You made my day.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 06:33PM

What stuck out for me was preschool play on the rooftop, lol.

I have a box full of old letters. Some written by me from Girl Scout camp that my mom saved. Some from friends. Back when people actually sent letters.

Would love to see your duck-feather adorned mom :)

TG

Date: October 09, 2020 09:25PM

I love y'all! Very, very much.

Mom received the letter with the kimono. She's talking about decoupaging it (that's the glue shellack thing, right?) and affixing it to a barrette.

Oh! And she has finally acknowledged that's she's crazy as a bedbug. Progress!

Posted by: A Finn ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 03:32PM

But-but-but... There are left-handed Fiskars scissors. Originally, the right-hand ones were orange, and the lefties, red. Nowadays, of course, you get all kinds of wacky colours & patterns.

As a Finn I felt honour-bound to point this out.

Date: October 11, 2020 04:11PM

Heh. But were there left-handed Fiskars in 1973? If so, would you buy them for your seven-year-old child? Come to think of it, I had no business using Fiskars at all.

Preschool astroturf row home roof playground.

Fiskars.

I see a pattern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2020 04:13PM by Beth.

Date: October 12, 2020 02:22PM

According to an article I googled, they started making red, left-handed scissors in 1972. So technically... Probably not exported right away, though. (Article's in Finnish.)

When I started school as a seven-year-old in the 1980s, we had orange and red scissors in class for crafts. And yeah, I had my own pair before that. Sure we were told to be careful, not to run with knives and scissors, but at least back then it was all fairly relaxed. Personally I can't remember a time I wasn't allowed to use any knife or pair of scissors I needed.

We Finns are a bit wild sometimes X-P

Date: October 12, 2020 02:32PM

Oh, you get different sizes and types of Fiskars in Finland (it occurred to me that maybe this isn't the case elsewhere). So children would use smaller ones, with a rounded tip to the blades. But the blades are just as sharp; which they should be, since blunt edges are more dangerous, more likely to slip, etc.

Date: October 13, 2020 01:10PM

<3

Yeah - Assuming my mom knew about the red handled ones, she wasn't going to shell out the money. The Fiskars were A Big Deal.

I was destroying patterns and fabric, so she probably cut most of the fabric in the beginning, beginning meaning the first couple of years.

I can't use left-handed scissors. I can't do anything but eat and write (<- debatable) with my left hand. Once in a while I think about trying to dice vegetables with my left hand, but the knife feels so weird.

Back to Fiskars - I have three pairs: outside, kitchen, and sewing. I like. They are sharp.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:12PM by Beth.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 09:42AM

no matter the laws. I'm not a violent (or scared) person but knives come very handy, every day.

I got my first full knife when I was six. Nobody told me not to use a knife even before that. Never had any accidents.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 11:35AM

What a jewel to read on a Sunday morning.

I remember so many things you mentioned, except I didn't have to deal with being left handed.

I learned to sew at an early age and made my prom dresses, etc. I learned how to knit and crochet but did embroidery the most.

Yes, I remember second stationary pages. I had wax and a seal for special letters. I had a pen pal. I used to send letters to everyone to keep in touch.

I hope you are keeping your posts for some kind of memoir. I would buy it in hard cover.

Date: November 30, 2020 09:37PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope you are keeping your posts for some kind of
> memoir. I would buy it in hard cover.

I say this, or think it, every time.

Date: December 03, 2020 12:13PM

You guys are silly. ;)

I was thinking about writing one backwards, but I don't tend to stick with things. I have a bunch of virtual index cards sitting on my computer in a program called "Scrivener." It's a nice program if you use it... I also have a virtual journal on my computer called "Day One." Again, nice when you use it.

One of the worst things about bipolar disorder is starting a bunch of things that seem like the greatest ideas in the world at the time, and finishing none of them. During a depression you can ruminate over the fact that you don't complete projects.

Maybe one day. Unless I think of something better!

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 04:12AM

To write
scissors
punches
pencils
knives
eraser
quill
paper
seals
cards
lead
foil
ink
wax
dye
time
water
colors
stamps
markers
meaning
patterns
questions
intentions
thoughts
dreams
zzzzzz

I like writing but by the time it finally gets written, and finished, and sent, and - should it not get misdelivered, mishandled, missed, or even lost or returned - arrives, the person has forgotten you, died and gone to heaven [where nothing is written] or simply moved, forgot how to read, or even open a letter - or WRITE BACK.

Chances are, should they recieve your letter, they'll respond with a million words of their own... with imagery, pizzaz, personality, poetry, pretty pictures, a song, memory, thought, question, puzzle, joke, story...

The eternal question is What Came First the Chicken or the egg?

Who writes who first?
Who' on second?

Write, Now!

Date: December 13, 2020 08:53PM

<3

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 09:34PM

How about colorful Waldorf Window Stars. Essentially origami, but more translucent!

https://craftingagreenworld.com/articles/how-to-make-a-waldorf-window-star/

Thought of this today after seeing an upcoming local art class to learn to produce your own, next week, for $50. Ithought I'd look around and remembered this subject- thought you and others would like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.