Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 11:32PM

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/as-socal-plans-101-fwy-bridge-to-help-mountain-lions-video-shows-overpass-for-wildlife-working-in-utah/

This is of great interest in California (particularly southern California, I think) because our mountain lion population is in increasing danger due to long-term inbreeding, which began when the freeways were constructed and opened decades ago.

We urgently need to get "new"--or, at the very least, more biologically "distant"--genes into our local wildlife population--but up to now, the freeways have been fairly impassible "barriers." A few animals make it across the freeways safely, but most are either too scared to try, or they are killed on their way across.

For us in southern California, Utah's success in creating "a path in the sky," OVER the freeways, is wonderful news. (The animals, as they are making the crossing, are not aware they are "up high," since their vision field is obscured by local bushes and trees, carefully "masking" their view, and what is under their feet appears to be just their normal soil and small rocks.)

We in California need to get those bridges built!

Many props to Utah for your success!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 11:51PM

I've seen them built over I-15 in southern Utah over 20 years ago.

Date: November 26, 2020 11:56PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen them built over I-15 in southern Utah
> over 20 years ago.

I wish I could say the same thing about southern California!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 12:46AM

Keep the squirrels off power lines! :)

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see efforts being made to mitigate fragmentation. People also need to understand frigging ecotone. There's a black bear in your swimming pool? Wonder why!

I'm thinking about taking my dog on a short day hike this weekend - leashed - no horses. I don't want her to spook any horses, and I don't want her to run off and come running back to me when with a bear on her heels. Someone recently found bear scat relatively nearby, and I've lost the link to the These Animals Will Eat Your Face Sightings website.

Still, we could use the fresh air and change of scenery. New smells. New sights. New climate. Not looking forward to packing out other people's garbage, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 12:46AM by Beth.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 08:09AM

Who knew the lessons of BYU mixers would have application in the real world?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 11:40AM

California's will built on the tons of paperwork from all the "studies" and piles of money wasted--just build the damn thing. I don't take the 118 very often but it sure needs a bridge.

Date: November 27, 2020 12:15PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> I don't take the 118 very often but it sure needs a bridge.

It sure does!

The 118 actually needs a minimum of several bridges since the northern side (which is about 50 miles in length) is almost continuously mountainous.

My impression is that right now the concern is mostly centered on the Ventura Freeway (in the south part of the Valley), especially in the Agoura Hills/Thousand Oaks area....but the 118 corridor (the north side of the Valley) is almost certainly as serious....with the Cahuenga Pass/405 area, in the eastern part of the Valley, very close behind.

(Despite the fact that the 405 is the busiest freeway in the United States, we know from DNA studies of mountain lion cubs that some mountain lions have made it across the freeway successfully. Whether you are a mountain lion or a human, though, that would be a VERY scary endeavor!)

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 12:21PM

The 118 actually has an animal underpass. I forget the exit but it's in Simi towards the end going to the 405.

Date: November 27, 2020 12:36PM

stillanon Wrote:
> The 118 actually has an animal underpass. I forget
> the exit but it's in Simi towards the end going to
> the 405.

I didn't know this, and it is important information.

Thank you!!

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 02:14PM

I'm bored and getting ever-so-much-more-so. Maybe I'll drag the missus out and see if we can find the aforementioned underpass.

I do remember the equestrian underpass in Agoura that always had animal tracks in the mud.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 02:52PM

I used to live in Ventura and had a friend in Simi. We walked through the underpass. I think it was built around 1996.

file:///C:/Users/admin/Downloads/NG_2004_Use-of-highway-undercrossings-copy.pdf

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 01:59PM

I don't know about a dedicated wildlife crossing, but the last couple of exits on the Eastern end of Simi Valley are right up against open space and there is some predator traffic on their over/underpasses. There are also two street overpasses on the East end, Stow and Cochran, that have very low automotive traffic and are right at the open space. I have seen coyotes, deer, and one bobcat on these. The landfill overpass on the West end probably has similar traffic, though I have only personally noticed the coyotes there.

The Agoura/CAlabassas proposed crossing(s) have been discussed since at least 1989, when I moved to Agoura.

Date: November 27, 2020 07:02PM

SoCal Apostate Wrote:
> The Agoura/CAlabassas proposed crossing(s) have
> been discussed since at least 1989, when I moved
> to Agoura.

Yup.

'Tis absolutely true.

It seems like every few years there is a flurry of media stories and articles (often prompted by things like wildfires in the area), all of which say this is [just 'now'] actually HAPPENING....and then little or nothing happens when it comes to actually beginning construction.

In the meantime, a whole lot of free-lance writers, staffers, and TV news production personnel get to publish or broadcast their creative works lauding the 'new construction' (which is always "going to" happen in the--at least somewhat--"immediate future").

So far, that flurry becomes the end of the subject unless something else newsworthy happens.

I really do believe this WILL happen.

Someday.

I would appreciate it greatly if it happened before my demise.

;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 07:04PM by Tevai.

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 04:46PM

They put one of these in for Pronghorn just out of Pinedale, WY a few years back and it's been working great. A lot of other animals also use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGWddXLD8w

There is also a webcam that you can watch the migrations on. There isn't much action this time of year, but they do have some pretty cool past videos of it in use.

http://www.trapperspoint.com/

This location also has a prehistoric antelope kills site that was continuously used for over 6000 years.

Date: November 27, 2020 05:49PM

Great LIVE video feed (with fantastic audio explanation)....plus the other video, which is also wonderful in the context of this thread.

Thank you, Richard!

I don't think I've ever been to Wyoming so, without you, I would never have been able to see or hear either of these--and I would have been very much the poorer.

Thank you!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 06:15PM

ziller am wildlife ~

wildlife bridge is pure genius ~

ziller can confirm ~

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 28, 2020 10:58PM

It's rather incredible. The animals can get to the bathroom on the other side again... without playing frogger, make it if you can, or dingo dodges a Dodge, while getting out of Dodge...

This, connected habitats, is crucial for survival! Hunting, Mating, Moving, Traveling, Escaping, Exploring, Eating, Going To The "Bathroom"...

These 'nature bridges' [and tunnels] Should/ Could have been built-in to many highways where wildlife (PEOPLE included) frequent adjacent areas and pathways and where they are needed. It would have cost a lot less too to have it in the design.

That's wonderful footage.
All animals-people have feet.

--^--
--°--
<°6°>
__°__
--☆--
noway

Happy animals...

I wonder if they know they've been on TV/ in the news, and, in the nude. How rude. The sign is It's Working!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 12:33AM

Great story, thanks Tevai

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.