Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 05:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 05:57PM

'And as for that “other” choir, Hansen said the two get along just fine, despite having similar missions.'

Why wouldn't two groups with similar missions get along? I'm confused.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:06PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:07PM

According to the article, the choir has already "performed once, at a local fireside." *Mormon* fireside, I have to assume? Surprising, but good news.

It would be a wonderful thing for paranoid Mormons to be in the same room with gays identified as gays, as those men sing beautiful songs. It would be a first step toward cracking the "us vs. them" stereotype created by the Mormon Church's dogma.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:39PM

What a GREAT outreach opportunity. I hope they'll record-- I'd send a CD to my choir-directing, cd-collecting dad.

Perhaps surprisingly, my TBM father's favorite choir is NOT the Mo-TAB-- it's the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus. They have a Christmas CD "Our Gay Apparel" that he listens to constantly around the holidays.

I have a suspicion that dad would not be bothered one bit if the church ditched the homophobia. It seems like the church's official line on it is about the only thing that motivates his concern about homosexuality at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.