Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 08:43AM

The Story of the Fast Offerings.

The rumor had been going around the stake for a couple of weeks. We had recently received a new Area President, and he was making some changes. He had been reading in the D&C and had come across the passage which tells of the duties of the “teachers.” They are designated to collect the fast offerings.

Well, this Area President wasn’t a slacker, and he didn’t want anyone else to be a slacker either. He directed all the Stake Presidents in the area to start having their “teachers” go to members’ homes to collect their fast offerings. After all, that’s what they were doing in Salt Lake City, the place where he had grown up and collected door-to-door himself. That’s where he learned about the doctrine and what was to be done and how it was to be done properly.

The Stake President, being a bit of a sensible man, was reluctant to tell his Bishops to instigate the plan. After all, things had been going right well with the procedure they had been using. Members of the congregation just wrote a check for tithing and added their fast offerings to the check, saving on checks, time, postage, worry, etc.

That was no good, said the Area President. The “teachers” need to learn their duty. How can they learn their duty if the little old ladies in the ward aren’t contacted right at their door and given a chance to hand the money directly to the “teacher?” So, the Stake President, who hated the idea, but wouldn’t say anything (Was he afraid of the Area President, or God, or was he afraid of making waves and not being “promoted?”), told all the Bishops that the next month they would have to send all the “teachers” out to collect fast offerings from members.

“Organize a plan detailing which boys will contact which members so that everyone is covered,” said the Stake President.

Well, that was a little difficult, since the “teachers” weren’t old enough to drive, and every ward covered several towns and cities.

“Well, that’s easy enough to correct,” said the SP, "you can send the teacher with his home teaching companion." So that’s how it happened that after Sacrament Meeting one Sunday I was informed that my son would be gallivanting miles and miles all over the area with some strange sort who I had never heard of. This very afternoon! At the same time, someone else’s son would be driven miles in one direction and miles in another, then driven to my house to pick up my check, then driven home.

When I heard this I was furious. After all, I’d had this conversation with my husband during the past week. He hated the idea, and I thought we had agreed that it wouldn’t happen. But, even though he was Bishop of the ward, he was a conciliatory fellow and didn’t want to ruffle feathers. Someone in the Young Men’s Presidency had been contacted by someone in the Stake YM Presidency and told that this is what the SP had decided.

"It's out of my hands,” my husband said.

“What!” I said. “You are Bishop. Doesn’t ANYONE have the sense they were born with? Doesn’t ANYONE have the gumption to say, “This is ridiculous.”

I had put up with a lot during my husband’s tenure as bishop, but this took the cake. I couldn’t imagine anything sillier than driving miles and miles, using up gas, taking boys away from their homes when they had just endured three hours of meetings and were hungry, when someone could simply write a check and hand it to the Ward Clerk or send it through the mail.

I was furious. When I quietly asked my husband why he had decided to do it, he grit his teeth and said, “Just DO IT! It’s out of my hands!”

Well, it’s not out of MY hands, I said. I’m not letting XXXX go. And if someone comes to my door, I’m not going to give them any money. This is just stupid!

Well, someone could probably make a Zion’s Camp story out of this. After all, those who followed the suggestion of the Area President who, of course, knew NOTHING of what we had to deal with and didn’t have a clue about anything---those people are probably leaders in the church now. That’s why the Zion’s Camp story is so stupid! I’m sorry to use that word, but it’s totally appropriate! Of course you are going to choose your leaders from those people who'll do any idiotic thing you tell them to. I never did understand how that story was inspiring to anyone.

Well, to finish off MY story…the “plan” of the Area President lasted exactly ONE month. I don’t know whether the Area President changed his mind, or whether he moved on, or whether someone had the courage to tell him it was a STUPID idea, or whether maybe God himself whispered in his ear that he had better let people bring their fast offerings in check form to the church building and hand the envelope over to the Ward Clerk. But, at any rate, my son never had to collect fast offerings three towns away on a Sunday afternoon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 11:37AM

Not long ago I would have thought you were one of the rebels in the ward, especially as a Bishop's wife, and my jaw would drop. But now, I'm reading and enjoying this story and thinking how I wish I had spoken up at least 10% of the times I thought something was ridiculous, that would have made my life so much easier. I'm still active in the Church and thanks to what I now know I am able to speak up, sometimes.

What I find really ridiculous is that church members are expected to obey without question any 'leader' in a higher position.

Great story, thanks for sharing and good for you for standing up for your son.

D

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 11:39AM

Love your "Doesn’t ANYONE have the sense they were born with? Doesn’t ANYONE have the gumption to say, 'This is ridiculous.'"

Nope, those priesthood holders have to OBEY those above them without question, or they get released and their career as Mormon leaders is done for.

Hopefully along with you, DH is now out of the cult now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 11:39AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 11:51AM

dimmesdale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Story of the Fast Offerings.

> Well, to finish off MY story…the “plan” of
> the Area President lasted exactly ONE month. I
> don’t know whether the Area President changed
> his mind, or whether he moved on, or whether
> someone had the courage to tell him it was a
> STUPID idea, or whether maybe God himself
> whispered in his ear that he had better let people
> bring their fast offerings in check form to the
> church building and hand the envelope over to the
> Ward Clerk. But, at any rate, my son never had to
> collect fast offerings three towns away on a
> Sunday afternoon.

Line upon line, precept upon precept. Isn't continuing revelation marvelous, isn't it wonderful?

Posted by: tally bann ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 04:19PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.