Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 09:56PM

С Рождеством

I missed it in all the excitement this week. Part of my family is Russian Orthodox, which meant I got to take a day off from school for Russian Christmas, and have a big dinner at Grandma's house.

BTW, Orthodox Christmas is also on December 25, but on the old Julian calendar. The Julian calendar had a few too many leap years, which kept pushing the date of the spring equinox (and everything else, like Christmas) forward, which was screwing up the calculation of the date for Easter. Pope Gregory the somethingth decided to move the equinox back to March 21.

The Orthodox Church was not about to follow the lead of no apostate Roman pope, so they kept the Julian calendar. So did Protestant Europe, except that it finally became too much trouble for the Protestants to deal with two calendars, and they slowly adopted the Gregorian calendar.

Pirogies and vodka all around. ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 09, 2021 10:23PM

My wife's step dad was Ukrainian so we always celebrated both Christmases...and my granddaughters are Ukrainian dancers but Covid killed the big New Years (Malanka) celebration next weekend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.