Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gospel Truth ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 09:12AM

All those members and leaders who say "I know the church is true" why are they scared of truth? When I was growing up in the church all the meetings and materials were checked and coralated because they were scared of the truth. If the truth is any good it doesn't need to be censored or hidden. If the church is true then truth is no threat to it. Truth can stand on its own. It doesnt need no protection from lies it is it's own evidence. In the SS we had discussions only they were not discussions because only one side was allowed and only opinion and if you had another one they would shut you down because they thought they alone had the truth. I know some folks are convinsing liars but the truth stands up to lies without help. Its like they want to hid things so they wont find them out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 09:35AM

for a long time. She is in her late 80s now. She was LOVED in the ward and so no one would tell her she was wrong. She would research her lessons and talked about things that were not approved material. I don't know if anyone told her not to (like they told me in RS about only using the few paragraphs for my lesson), but she had A LOT of discussion and the men would try to tell her she was wrong. She is a tough lady and she didn't take it.

She was my VT for a long time and I was hers and we are great friends. She would stop me when I was out walking and talk to me about what she had read about. She said one day that if she could just drink alcohol like the early leaders did, she'd do okay. She struggles a lot with severe depression.

Her grandmother or great grandmother was a polygamist. She came to Utah with her fiance and BY told her that, "No," she was going to be married to this other guy who needed a second wife. The first wife couldn't have kids and so she had to give her first 2 children to the first wife. Then after that, the first wife kept trying to kill her.

This friend of mine discussed how horrible polygamy was all the time. She never let anyone tell her she was wrong.

I think it would have only taken a nudge to get her out of the church, but she has never left it.

She's an amazing person--AMAZING. I think my favorite person I've met in this ward and I've been here 34 years.

I BELIEVE that for many of these people it is their heritage. It know it was for my dad as he only believed bits and pieces of it, but he loved his parents SO MUCH that he would never have left just because of them. His parents weren't very active either. My sister says that side of the family are heretics and she loves it (she still goes, too, because her husband likes her to).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 10:07AM

I think for many people, religion ties into culture, heritage, and community. I get that.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 06:23PM

to leave. My mom, who was much more active mormon than my dad, was the first to state her support, which surprised me. I've said it all before. Most of my siblings are out and my daughter is the only TBM of all the grandkids and great grandkids. I'm the LUCKY one.

I believe my daughter still goes as she is trying to save the family. She's more like her mother than she wants to believe.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 12:17PM

Some things that are true are not very useful.

-Boyd K. Packer

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 12:34PM

The Brutality Of Truth
Truth is brutal. It is non-compromising to circumstance. Those who seek to speak the truth at all times will discover that there circle of “so called” friends will be quite small. However the circle of people who respect them will be large.
People are generally taught that the “little white lie” is acceptable if it saves embarrassment or hurt feelings. But is it worth surrendering personal integrity to tell one?
So if I always tell the truth as I see it I will then be prepared for the behavioral consequences of my actions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 01:06PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 01:58PM

The church has its own Ministry of Truth. That truth is called correlation. They aren’t scared of their truth. So don’t confuse them with facts.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 02:06PM

Ignorance is Strength; War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery.
It requires continual vigilance to maintain the untouched purity of that delusion bubble.

Being raised Mormon makes one paranoid of the world; but for all the wrong reasons

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 03:05PM

What the ex-Mormon says: The church's dishonesty about its history is one of the reasons I left the church.

What the Mormon hears: I'm lazy and want to sin

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 03:30PM

Mormons and their nuanced views!

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 03:57PM

Gospel Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

What’s an SS?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 04:43PM

Sunday School?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 04:22PM

They truly believe that there is a Satan, and that he has powers that can interfere in your daily life. They are afraid of how Satan could "destroy" them if they let anything past their sentry posts.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 10:28PM

There are 'Reports of Things Said & Done".

Based on these reports, as individuals read them, 'interpretations' are made. That's all you can have. No one is able to go back and view the reported 'things said & done'.

So a bunches of people review a report and a variety of interpretations are made. Those whose interpretations are close enough then congregate. Congregate, get it?

But pretty much, you're always going to have differing interpretations of whatever the 'reporting' is about. Flat Earth, anyone?

So TBMs and RfMers look at the same report/set of reports and come to hugely differing opinions. And each side thinks the other side is looney toons for not seeing 'The Truth'.

Which is why I just try to have fun.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 01:42AM

Because honesty defines truth, while mormonism itself defiles it.

They Only care about the money
And sometimes, the honey...

Damn bees

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.