Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 04:32PM

Q: My son asks the following: "In most other presidencies we don't even impeach once; why, during this presidency, do we impeach twice?" B.B., St. Louis, MO

A: There are two reasons. First, the United States is unusually divided and partisan right now. If that was not true, Trump likely would not have survived his first impeachment and, further, people wouldn't be unhinged enough to do things like invade the Capitol. Second, Trump is an unusually unethical and clumsy politician. It's not easy to get impeached once, but it happens. But to be impeached twice, with the second coming when you have less than 10 days in office? It takes a very poor president to pull that off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 18, 2021 04:35PM

K.C. in Los Angeles, CA, writes: I recognize what is surely some deliberate Jewish wordplay in B.B.'s question about two impeachments in a single presidency. Clearly, the writer is alluding to the Four Questions that are among the most familiar elements in a Jewish Passover Seder. The third of the Four Questions is: "On all other nights, we do not dip foods even once; why on this night do we dip twice?" The dead giveaway that B.B. is playfully nodding to this religious custom is that in Jewish tradition, the Four Questions are to be asked by the youngest person in attendance who is capable of asking them...hence, B.B.'s son is the one who asked about the two impeachments.

I'm not sure if you'll care to publish this information, as it veers into terrain that is truly beyond the scope of your siteā€”but as a loyal and grateful reader since 2004, I wanted to ensure that you both understood the game that B.B. was cleverly playing. It so happens that I am a rabbi, but any Jew who observes Passover each year would recognize what B.B. was up to!

If you're curious to read more, see this.
https://reformjudaism.org/jewish-holidays/passover/four-questions

V & Z respond: We understood the bit, and regarded it as an Easter egg for our Jewish readers. Oh, and there is nothing that is truly beyond the scope of our site.

electoral-vote.com

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 04:36PM

Bumping your own posts again, BoJ?

SMH, smh.

Date: January 18, 2021 04:43PM

I just thought the explanation should be in a separate box, and it took me a couple minutes to dig up the link that was embedded in the original posting. Otherwise both posts would have been in the same minute, which would disqualify it as a self bump. Rule 3A, Self Bumper's Guide.

Besides, I'm a rank amateur in self-bumping, compared to some of the pros here.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 04:52PM

I didn't realize self-bumping was a thing.

I also want to say thank goodness for the second post as "subtle" is right - I didn't get it from the first one!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 04:53PM

Whoops - self-bump!

But needed to say: I don't even get it from the second post, now that I've read it.

Except to laugh about the Easter egg comment. Jewish - Easter - haha.

??

Date: January 18, 2021 05:00PM

Self-bumping is a sin.

Date: January 18, 2021 05:00PM

A sin, I say!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 05:28PM

I love it (it is very clever), and I very much appreciate it.

Thank you, BoJ!!

Now, if I can just remember where I put the wine and the matzah....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.