Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Online Reader ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 02:55PM

Has anybody read this book and can provide some feedback ? I don't want to spend the money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 05:05PM

What evidence? Maybe this is evidence.

"I read this book in 2 days. It was easy to read but very scholarly. I challenge anyone to read it." One person’s “scholarly” review.

Reviews like this scare me. Its schoolyard mentallity. "Hey I stuffed a whole pack of bubble butt in my mouth at once! I challenge you to do it!"

Maybe its evidence because it was easy to read, you know like "scholarly" stuff.

Or maybe there is no actual evidence provided. Obfuscation and apologies are not evidence.

I have not read this book yet but I will because its like that old cliché "Its hard to look away from a train wreck".

It seems to me that the "scholarly" world of mormonism is really comprised of a small group of folks that love to outdo each other by publishing placating BS that no one outside the church would waste five seconds on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 05:05PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 05:14PM

unless you are stupid like Michael Ash and argue that a horse is NOT a horse: "Perhaps deer or tapirs pulled wheelless chariots. We know, for instance, that the American Indian travois (a kind of sled) was pulled, not only by horses, but also by dogs. Maybe King Lamoni used a deer or tapir-drawn travois to cart his supplies while traveling. The mass Nephite movement to Zarahemla certainly suggests that chariots were used to carry supplies rather than soldiers." Michael R. Ash

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 05:23PM

Oh come on, stop spoofing, nobody is stupid enough to put that nonsense into print....are they...?

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 07:56PM

They do put such things into print--regularly and at great length.

Here is Mopology Meister Mike's great work:

http://www.fairlds.org/Book_of_Mormon/AshHorse/

The following is my own addition to the scholarly foundation established by Ash and his mopological cohorts:

Just imagine how inspiring it must have been to see the mighty King Lamoni prepare to go forth to Middoni. He would come out in his finest regalia and then step a few inches up to stand on the long sticks strapped to a team of tapirs. He would give the order: "Onward!" Then the tapir would struggle to drag the long stick things (travois) on which the heavy king was standing. Little children would walk past and wonder how it could be that they so easily matched and surpassed the speed of the mighty King and his chariots.

Let's see how this looks in holy writ:

Alma 20:6

6 Now when Lamoni had heard this he caused that his servants should make ready his pig-like tapirs and his long standing sticks for to be dragged by the tapirs.

2 Nephi 12:7

7 Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of pig-like tapirs, neither is there any end of their long wooden poles for dragging cargo and people.

3 Nephi 21:14

14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy pig-like tapirs out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy long wooden sticks on which things are placed and dragged;

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 09:52PM

Posted by: bubbleboy ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 11:57AM

Lol THAT is FUNNY.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 09:51PM

After all, native Americans had no name for "horse" (on account of they didn't exist in America when people did) so they called them "big dog" if I recall correctly. So clearly it was dogs pulling travois filled with supplies. Voila! Mystery solved, all is well, thank HEAVENS Joseph Smith talked to God -- right?

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 10:56PM

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 05:56PM

just under one year on the water. No fresh food. No fresh water. Animals, humans, bees, everything else in water tight barges that went under and over the waves. For a year. Anyone packed for a week on lake powell? A year! on the ocean. Yeah, right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 05:56PM by danboyle.

Posted by: Lucifer Fielding Smith ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 07:43PM

Maybe he will talk about the 3rd and 4th holes in the barges used for poopin' and pissin'.

Posted by: where is he? ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 08:01PM

His column in the Deseret News is supposed to be weekly. He has not written anything for the past month.

Anyone know what is going on?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 08:31PM

Ash kinda painted himself into a corner recently, by proclaiming that he would soon be revealing a ton of new evidences proving the historicity of the BOM. Lotsa preamble, but he never got to the meat. Maybe now he is off on summer holidays? How convenient...

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 12:28PM

and couldn't stand person he saw looking back.

Date: July 07, 2011 03:22PM

Michael Ash has posted on another board that his weekly column at Deseret News has ended. Can't post a link to that board here at RFM.

Some of the reasons are because of the financial difficulties the Deseret News is having. They are operating with a minimal editor staff. Even though he was not paid for writing his weekly column, it generated a high volume of comments that kept the staff busy in monitoring them.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: July 05, 2011 09:45PM

Mike Ash and Dan Petersen are the biggest morons in a corporation filled with morons. Only extremely stupid, or gullible, or ignorant (willfully or organically) sheep will buy into anything those two guys write. They are HUGE phonies only interested in brown nosing management in the hope that they may someday be classified as mormon historians/ intellectuals of note. The list of mormon intellectuals is pretty weak, but it will provide something to add to their already dubious CV's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 09:47PM by Truthseeker.

Date: July 06, 2011 07:33AM

He has not written anything for Deseret News in the last month. Has his weekly article ended? His picture was on Mormon Times voices yesterday but is gone this morning.

http://www.mormontimes.com/

Where is Bro. Ash?

Date: July 06, 2011 08:45AM

Maybe he was writing something like, "and so we see that it could be that the golden plates were actually anodized aluminum plates of a golden hue, explaining the ease with which Joseph Smith could tuck them under his arm and dash through the woods..." and he just couldn't stop giggling and then crying. "Did I really just write that?? What am I doing with my life? I've always known that Joseph Smith was a complete fraud!"

Perhaps he's gone into the woods to pull himself together. ;o)

But I do hope he's okay. Mopologists are odd creatures, but they are still people at the end of the day.

Date: July 06, 2011 08:49AM

"But I do hope he's okay. Mopologists are odd creatures, but they are still people at the end of the day."

Those are my thoughts too. For the OP, I would not recommend buying the book as long as he is missing.

If he turns up here at RFM as an exmo I hope he gets treated good.

Date: July 06, 2011 09:44AM

He might get some ribbing about some of the things he has written, but he'd be welcomed by most.

A lot of exmos have to admit that at some point before becoming exmos they were grabbing on to anything they could think of to defend Mormonism and to make it seem plausible. The difference is that people like Ash have gone public with their apologetic contortions.

I believe it was Lorenzo R. Blow who once said: "As TBMs are, exmos once were. As exmos are, TBMs may one day become."

Posted by: Emmas flaming sword ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:32AM

He has even posted when there was a thread about him a few years ago. I really can’t wait to see him post as a fellow exmo though. That cog dis has got to be a bitch for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.