Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 07:15AM

Did smith have sex with the twins that lived at nauvoo while emma lived in house? Any truth in this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 08:09AM

You're going to have to narrow this down a bit more!

There is no specific documentary evidence that Smith had sex with anyone other than Emma.

However, the law of Polygamy was introduced specifically as a method of 'raising up seed', having children in other words.
So you can say that Joseph's numerous Polygamous relationships were meant to be ones in which sex happened. Therefore it is likely that Joseph followed the revelation and dabbled his fancy with more than just Emma.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 01:18AM

No "specific documentary evidence"? You mean a dozen women in the heart of the Victorian era doesn't constitute evidence?

Or John D. Lee's recollection of Joseph Smith's claim that a certain woman had given him an indordinate amount of pleasure? Lee may have come to realized Brigham Young betrayed him, but he went to his grave believing Joseph Smith was a prophet of God...

Or Eliza R. Snow's statement?

Seriously?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 08:32AM

Just because we have a statement from Benjamin F. Johnson saying that Joseph spent the night with his sister in the same bed doesn't mean they had sex. Even if Joseph had entered into a secret plural "marriage" it doesn't mean that just because they slept together in the same bed that they had sex?

And Brigham Young's children with Henry Jacob's legal wife Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young could have been an immaculate conception that didn't involve actual sex.

You anti-Mormons are so quick to just assume things.

Date: July 06, 2011 04:19PM

Evidently they were given to smith to look after when their father died. They came from canada. I also believe there was a large amount of money involved which was given to smith for them. He did the. ETERNAL MARRIAGE RITUAL without Emmas permission. Cant remember names involed????

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 04:23PM

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 04:21PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 04:28PM

The only reference I've ever read was that Emma purportedly saw Joseph going in and out of an outbuilding behind the general store with the twins. She didn't say there was hanky-panky.

Ron

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 04:29PM

http://www.i4m.com/think/history/joseph_smith_sex.htm

"In total, 13 faithful latter-day saint women who were married to Joseph Smith swore court affidavits that they had sexual relations with him."

Also, try this one:
http://runtu.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/sexuality-in-joseph-smiths-marriages/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 04:30PM by Heresy.

Date: July 06, 2011 04:31PM

Weeder how do you know that what are your sources?

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:54PM

Source:
William Law
Quoted in "Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith," p. 144

See also mormoncu#rtain.com search for Lawrence sisters. Take out the # apparently the word is banned around these parts.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:54PM

And according to that is was $8000 not $5k

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 02:46AM

This money was in trust for benefit of the sisters. Smith was acting as guardian until their maturity. I don't have a source, but I remember reading he basically expropriated the funds for his own private uses, and left the girls penniless.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:47AM

So let me get this right. The Lawernce sisters who were.
VERY YOUNG paid for being abused by Joseph Smith and then take all of Emma bad treatment as they lived in the same bouse. Even in the context of Victorian morality this is outrageous. Sounds like they were terribly done by. It is so sad. Considering all Smiths sex exploits the girls could have contracted STD. E.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:51AM

Sorry for typos.On touchphone. I forgot to ask did they get pregnant?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 02:09AM

John C. Bennett was, according to Sarah Pratt and others, a physician capable of performing abortions, and there were rumors to that effect.

Some historians have speculated on his possible children with women other than Emma, but genetic testing has probably ruled out all but Josephine Lyon who said claimed that her mother, Sylvia Sessions Lyon, told on her deathbead that her Joseph Smith was her father.

I believe there have been more findings since this was published, but DNA testing hasn't reached the level where it would be possible to determine one way or another on a female descendent, and perhaps it never will...

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/DNA.htm

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.