Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: usedtoknow ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 10:54PM

My husband and I moved back to Utah right before covid started and moved back in with parents temporarily while we were saving for a house. Since moving back I started receiving a monthly gift from my assigned visiting teacher. The gifts have included gift cards, a dozen roses, and a today a mother's day gift, which was just a reminder how I wished I was already a mom but am not one. Are these gifts purposely to guilt trip us or are they really trying to be nice? Either way it's super annoying and awkward!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:03PM

enough to pose the question.

If it feels like manipulation it likely is.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:06PM

You are maligning a perfectly kind, neighborly gesture. I can’t believe your conscience isn’t troubled by such cynicism.

Now send me some cookies so you’ll feel better.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:13PM

They're on the way immediately --- but all I got is chocolate chip ;-D

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:44PM

I would find that really creepy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 01:02AM

Good grief.

The church just gave a talk of what not to do in the latest conference for women.

This was a specific example about what not to do for married couples who are childless.

“At Church, you see a couple who [has] been married for some time and they do not have children.”

Option A response: “Why don’t you have kids? When will you have kids? You’re not getting any younger.”

Option B response: “Enjoy this time not having any kids. You want one of mine?”

The speaker actually said both responses were wrong.

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 09:02AM

I get the same lil' gifts on my door step, in the mail, etc. In their lil' minds, they are scoring points for the hereafter and are trying to minimize their own cult-driven guilt while here. With moron's they don't live for now. Everything they do is for the "next life", no matter how miserable they are here in "this life." Truly, most of them are very miserable, stressed, and joyless.

Posted by: Adam the Warrior ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 03:59PM

Could be lovebombing. Showering of gifts in a short period is a tactic of lovebombing.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 05:49PM

She hasn't been active mormon since about age 20. She is 59. She lives in a condo and you can look in her dining room window by the front door and THEY DO. She tries to hide, but she doesn't know they are there until they look in the window. They write her letters telling her how much they love her. Stuff like that. They say really inappropriate things to her.

I've told her to tell them to LEAVE HER ALONE, but she is afraid to.

It isn't a nice thing this person is doing to you. I've had it happen, too. I tell the bishop and it stops for a while. Even if I have resigned, it still happens.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 06:24PM

I never know what to pack for a guilt trip!!

What are some of the essentials?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 08:05PM

The visitors feel the only purpose for women is to populate the planet and be a mother as the highest calling and most important job.

Some may feel like the mother role isn't the only thing they would like to accomplish in 85+ years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.