Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:00PM

Wow I just stumbled upon this site last night somehow. Anyway I'm glad I did. My husband and I have been married for 11 years and we have three beautiful children. We had a "normal" wedding though. We never were married in the temple and don't ever plan to be. I was raised in Utah and we were members of the church growing up. My mom still is very active but my dad isn't. My sister and I aren't but my brother is. Once I graduated high school I told my mom I had no interest in going, but she still asked that I went to sacrament with her. So out of respect I did since I lived at home for free. I haven't believed in the church's teachings in a long time and it doesn't take much to figure out that there is not a lot of truth to it.

Where I live right now I am completely surrounded though. When we first moved in here about six years ago, we had the missionaries knocking on the door left and right. Neighbors coming over inviting us to activities. I've been asked to go to relief society broadcasts. Some neighbors just the other night asked us over for dinner. I hope that's just it though. I always feel like there is an agenda. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong here for assuming that but I've had people around here flat out ask me how I feel about church. A lot of nerve there! Anyway I'm rambling. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:02PM

Welcome aboard!

You didn't hang with Gilligan, the Skipper too, the millionaire and his wife, MaryAnne and the professor did you? If so, that might explain your being unaware of the site. :)

Ron

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:04PM

I'm sure they have wifi silly.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:05PM

Ya, yer right, or 3G, what was I thinking?

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:06PM

The Professor could have created a WiFi network out of some coconuts and twine, I'm sure...

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:04PM

A new name, around these parts. Schucks, welcome and enjoy the fun.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:06PM

Date: July 07, 2011 06:10PM

Wow thanks guys! No, Ron I'm not that Ginger. Haha! :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:11PM

Good to have you here!

Just a warning -- it can get a little rough & tumble here sometimes. If you see an argument breaking out on a thread, feel free to exit that particular thread quickly. Most of the time we play nicely, though. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 06:11PM by summer.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:14PM

Yes, welcome. What ages are your kids and are they being encouraged to be more active than you want them to be. OR do you have complete control over that?

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:15PM

So how did you find the site?

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:20PM

Welcome! I love these boards and have needed them in my life. They'll help you too! :)

Date: July 07, 2011 06:32PM

My kids are 6, 3, and 1. My mom pressures me about getting my oldest to Primary. My nephew was just baptized and my mom was trying to get me pumped up about it. Not happening. I don't get pressure from anyone else though. I do worry about when they get older in school and other kids maybe leaving them out and whatnot.

Spongebob-I found this site because my sister-in-law and I were talking about garments the other day. She and her husband left the church last summer. I was just looking at sites talking about garments and the meaning of their symbols and found a thread from this site talking about garments.

Date: July 07, 2011 09:31PM

Okay.....garments is the thing that brings folks here. Now I have heard it all. Glad though for you. Yes, your kids will be left out as mine were when they were 5 and 8 and we lived among Mormons in Utah. Can you get to a more normal place and live among peoples of all religious persuasions and all races? WE had to be there due to the military and I would never wish a nevermo to ever endure what we did. Maybe it wouldn't create as much stress for you though.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:36PM

Nice to know you're not alone, right?

It must be a little awkward to have neighbors often asking you about religion.

Are you going to the dinner? If so, let us know how it goes.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:08PM

like any normal guest would do.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:41PM

Yeah, we are here in great numbers! If you want to meet some of the folks who post here and lots who don't, check out the exmo conference held in Oct. in SLC. See the info at the top of this message board. Welcome, Ginger!

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:41PM

Hiya. Welcome aboard the ship of sanity.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:42PM

Don't I've out TMI. Sometimes people use it against u. Lurkers that is not posters.

Date: July 07, 2011 06:49PM

The dinner doesn't seem like too big of a deal. Their kids are the same ages as ours. We just see them outside quite a bit and they invited us over for pizza in their backyard. So we'll go. I'll let you know if anything weird happens. ;)

Good to know about the exmo conference too.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 06:54PM

I left in 1986 and didn't find this site until 2000.

Back then, RfM was the only ex-mo board (I think), but these days there are a few more, loads of blogs, and, of course, the Gentile/Mormon fights that happen at the Des News and SL Trib sites.

We're everywhere!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:09PM

You must be in Utah? I can't even guess how hard it is for non-mormon kids to grow up there.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:12PM

Glad you found the board. I live in surrounded as well‚ in Utah— and boards like this provide a place for me to vent and talk it out.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:12PM

I'm pretty sure there are only like five posters here but we all have multiple personality disorders. A brilliant troll once pointed that out, and who am I to argue with myself?

Welcome aboard. Ignore Ron I'm pretty sure he's just in my head and doesn't really exist. Everyone nows the Gilliagan castaways used fiber optics not 3G.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:20PM

The Man in Black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm pretty sure there are only like five posters
> here but we all have multiple personality
> disorders. A brilliant troll once pointed that
> out, and who am I to argue with myself?

No, no! I'm an original!
Welcome to the board, Ginger!

Susan

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:21PM

Funny as hell.

"You're all one person!"

Date: July 07, 2011 07:26PM

We have new neighbors that just moved in next door. I had a small glimmer of hope that maybe they wouldn't be Mormon. Turns out they got sealed the week after they moved in, because we need more of that around here.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:44PM

All overtures by active Mormons toward inactives are for the purpose of reactivating them. Attempts to cultivate a friendship are with this aim in mind.

Nevertheless, if they are neighbors, it might serve to become acquainted with them.

In the meantime, welcome to the board, ginger. Your learning curve is just about to soar due to all you will learn from this website!

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 07:51PM

Welcome, Ginger! Hope you find this a useful resource and community. I make a point to write "exmormon.org" in every BoM that I encounter in Marriott hotels. ;)

Date: July 07, 2011 09:34PM

What a great idea....I will do the same.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 09:17PM

Welcome, I've only been here since spring of 08.

Stick around. This board will dissect everything under the sun and them some!

There are doctrine clarifications
Tips on what to do with nosy invasive neighbors.

Even have one hero who used the garden hose on the missionaries.

If you're bothered by TBMs (truly believing mor[m]ons) just ask for advice.

The board is always happy to give creative solutions on how to deal with school kids, teachers, In laws and parents who all want you "in the fold".

There are sure fire ways to get mormons to back off..... mainly by asking them from a set of about 13 questions of things they are supposed to be doing..... like is your 4 generations genealogy done? Your food storage? Your tithing up to date? Your HT (home teaching) done early? Do you Never drink a cola??? etc. you can really make them change the subject and/or squirm....

You'll also get the questions that really make mormons uncomfortable...like how is it the Book of Abraham now translated correctly is only an Egyptian funeral text?
Or that there are seven versions of the first vision? etc.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 09:25PM

Utah Valley? Us too. 95% LDS where I live and we've been here with our 3 kids for 11 years. Love it here. Good Luck!

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 09:33PM

Welcome Ginger ( I was always partial to Maryann but I will not hold that against you)

My daughter married into the collective 2001, I found this board the day after she announced her engagement and have been lurking here ever since, very addictive place, good people, good learning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 10:36PM by balard123.

Date: July 07, 2011 09:41PM

Actually Davis County which is almost just as bad.

Date: July 07, 2011 09:50PM

ginger that is where I was stuck for four yrs. I posted above. Sure loved looking at that mountain a half mile away though. Beautiful. We were very close to the highway.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 09:51PM

Yes, you'll learn lots of doctrinal stuff and how to deal with pushy Mormons, but personally . . . .

I'm just here for the comedy.

;o)

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:14PM

wooden submarines.

wait till you find out about the wooden submarines.

tell your ma, tell your pa.

with the wooden submarines, you are loaded for bear when the mishies come a knockin'

btw, there are many nevermos here for the train wreck.

and, sorry to say, Mrs. Howell fan myself.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:27PM

Hi and welcome. I love this site because it's nice to know that you aren't alone and it's nice to have people understand the weirdness that is Mormonism. Plus, if there is anything you want to know or you need feedback, people here are incredibly helpful. It's great to have so many well-educated people to ask for info.

Just remember, you are right and the Mormons are being fed misinformation. Ninety-nine percent of the world's population can't be wrong and you are with them.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:40PM

Glad to have you with us. Hope you hang around awhile so we can learn from each other. Best wishes to you and your family. And congratulations on a new and happy life without Mormonism.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:51PM

Howdy and welcome. You can learn things about things you didn't know or care about untill we discuss it here.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 10:59PM

You're among friends.

Date: July 07, 2011 11:18PM

Thanks everyone! I didn't think I would have so many comments referring to Gilligan's Island, haha. Nice! What's with the wooden submarines?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.