Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bcole2 ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 07:51PM

I left Utah a few years back, and from what I read, the state is going through some tremendous changes. Housing market is going crazy, and more and more people are moving into the SLC area from out of states.

I can't help but to wonder in places like UVU, BYU, and UofU, among the Mormon subcultures, do they still push young people to get married early. Are plenty kids get engaged while still in college as it was used to be. Of course, this covid F*** up a lot of the routine ward socials, but I wonder what is the dating mindset for them today.

thanks for the info

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 08:26PM

One very tiny slice of BIC life:

I have three BIC kids, who have had 11 kids amongst them. The oldest grandchild is 27 and the youngest is 8. Two of my grandchildren are married and at least five more are (hopefully) sexually active.

The two married ones are either PIMO or believers. I don't pry, so I don't know for sure. They got married in 2018 and 2019. The girl married an RM three years ago: no baby... Initially they were putting off having a kid because she was in nursing school. She's graduated now, but ... still no baby!

The boy is an RM, married now 18 months. No baby in the works, no baby planned because he's apparently smart enough to keep his wife working while he pursues his education.

This is not the mormonism I was part of back in the late 60's, the early 70s when knocking up your temple bride was all the rage!! My temple bride and I had our first child three weeks before our 1st anniversary.

So based on this one data point, things have changed.

Date: May 12, 2021 08:38PM

at what age did they get married?

Date: May 12, 2021 09:22PM

The RM boy was 22 and the nurse was 24.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 10:10PM

Just remember that every story Jesus tells about himself is prefaced with "you're not going to believe this but. . ."

Posted by: Party in the USA ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 03:42AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two of my grandchildren are
at least five more are (hopefully)
> sexually active.

Ewww creepy grand dad moment!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 05:26PM

Man, you really ARE an old dog.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 10:57AM

Date: May 12, 2021 11:17PM

Any more takers?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 01:17PM

bcole2 Wrote:
> I left Utah a few years back, and from what I
> read, the state is going through some tremendous
> changes. Housing market is going crazy, and more
> and more people are moving into the SLC area from
> out of states.
>
> I can't help but to wonder in places like UVU,
> BYU, and UofU, among the Mormon subcultures, do
> they still push young people to get married early.
> Are plenty kids get engaged while still in college
> as it was used to be. Of course, this covid F***
> up a lot of the routine ward socials, but I wonder
> what is the dating mindset for them today.
>
> thanks for the info

Yes and don't forget preggy!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 02:31PM

Average marriage age is going up in Utah, just like the rest of the US. Birth rate is going down. It is still higher than the US average, but not by as much as you might think.

Nov 2019 the Trib reported that the Utah birthrate dipped below replacement level (which is 2.1 births per woman over her lifetime). I'm certain that 2020 and 2021 will drive that even lower.

That said, I think that out of state students in Utah came here partly to have increased opportunity to marry a Mormon, so there is still pressure to marry before graduation, or to hang around as perpetual students until a marriage opportunity comes along.

The irony of the "perpetual student" thing is that I always got the vibe that the perpetual students of either gender had a significant percentage of gay students in their ranks. I think working in academia was a choice that was safer than most for gay students/faculty. Plus if you were Mormon, and especially at BYU, being single and not openly sexually active didn't raise eyebrows. Celibacy (or at least the appearance thereof) was expected.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 08:15PM

Sometimes they push them

Othertimes they pull them

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 09:10PM

They still push, and it's not working out well at all, over half the church is single. I recall recently apostle cooke whining about young people not dating, the bretheren are just as judgmental as ever. most recently at this conference in April apostle anderson said if you don't marry in this life but obey all mormon covenants then maybe in the eternities you'll get a spouse. I'm thinking that took a lot of faith to promise that...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 10:42AM

macaRomney Wrote:
>... maybe in the eternities you'll get a spouse. I'm thinking that took a lot of faith to promise that... >

And a lot of faith/ hope/ trust, cog-dis, hope in the IMPOSSIBLE (the "next life" isn't the same as this one, Right Now, while you're ALIVE)!

You give Mormonizm a good shot - in fact, waste your time (not to mention FREE-AGENCY), money, thoughts and efforts with/ in/ on it - and it'll promise you heaven above all - after all the hell it's put you through! - and all the boinking and loving and GREAT LUCK you can fathom.

Mormonism promises a lot
But NEVER delivers

PS - the "eternities" don't exist; they aren't a thing; it's made up...

Eternity means no beginning and no end, so therefore, can't ever "come" on the future

Eternity is NOW

This eternal moment

Keeps being born

Reinventing itself

Mormon promises therefore wither, since THEY CAN'T come true. Mormonism is false. False Promises.

You do this for me today and I'll do (promise) that for you tomorrow.

Mormon delivers promises
That's all it can do...

But beg people to stay, and keep dropping silver haired coins and gold and green balls into the envelopes in the pews each week.

TITHING before People
People before Profits
Prophets before people

I promise this is my last prophecy before the people in these, the ladder days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 10:57AM by moremany.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 02:26PM

More than ever..Things the Mormons have been known to do:in
college wards.
Maps of the single wards.
Plot the apartments within the ward and stake.
Names of people in these apartments.
Their level of church activity.
Who are they dating?
Do they follow the word of wisdom?
The heads of the
quorum groups and the bishopric meet together privately.
They look at who is dating who and if they approve.
There are many superfluous committees that exist so young women
can be set up with a return missionary.
If there is a young questioning woman who is dating a RM male
they will do whatever is needed to ruin the relationship.
Cell phones make it easy to find out where a particular person spends time
There are snitches every where.
They show up when the no-mo partner is at work or school
Move committee members around all the time
They act as a wedge between certain couples they don't like.

A YSA bishop told the member/owner of a condo to evict my non church going daughter because her boyfriend drank beer.She told him no.
But how did they even know so much about her? Is she a member, where does she live, who her roommates are, her boyfriends habits. etc.
I have never seen the church work so hard to control and keep it's Young singles members.

My daughter ended up marrying a very smart non-mo and is very happy.But the Mormon church ruined a couple of previous relationships.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 02:38PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/05/19/utah-man-charged-with/

"A West Jordan man has been charged with kidnapping and assault for allegedly holding his girlfriend against her will, striking her and threatening to kill her unless she “made the right decision” and agreed to marry him.

According to the charges, on Saturday the woman told police the suspect held her against her will for about six hours, refusing to let her get out of his vehicle and threatening to kill her. She said he grabbed her wrists “extremely hard” and said he would “strangle her to death” unless she said she would marry him.

The woman said the suspect told her that if she left him and returned to her family, he would be “an agent of the devil and make her life a living hell,” according to the charges. When she screamed for help, the suspect hit her in the face."

Date: May 20, 2021 02:45PM

What's sad is that she really liked and got along well with his other two wives...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 06:21PM

That whole thing at BYU with females needing to find a husband reached cruel proportions, until the males found too many distractions, like war gaming via Internet. Only then did things change, and women students like my daughter could not find dates, let alone find a suitable marriage partner. That made them free, thank God, to graduate on their own terms, and many, like my daughter, became successful people in various careers.

In my day in the 1960's, a woman student had to face damage to her reputation if she emerged on the other side without a man. Thus, my wife proposed to me, rather than the other way around. She had once been engaged to me, but left me for intimate relationships with several other guys, eventually getting engaged to one of them. He sadly left her four days before the temple wedding, after two wedding showers and sending all the invitations; eventually he admitted to never having intended to marry him. Six months later, after experiencing a lot of depression, she turned apologetically to me. I went through hell accepting that. The point is, she was in her last semester, and truly frightened at the spectre of graduation with no husband in sight, and having to go back to her mill town without a husband on her arm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 06:24PM by cludgie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.