Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OzFoc ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 01:47AM

Having escaped the idiocy of Mormonism prior to my marriage to a NeverMo, my kids have not been exposed to crazy Mormon practices. The only Mormon relatives they have are on the other side of the world deep behind the Zion curtain.

They occasionally tell me about things posted on Facebook- I don’t partake-,and ask if certain things are real in what their relatives do or believe. They tell me that they’re relieved they don’t have to be part of it.

A new level of astonishment arose recently. The cause!

The opening of the mission call letter! With a cast of thousands and live-streaming and comments as if there had been some major achievement.

It’s impossible to try to convey to a “ normal” young person that this is a Mormon rite of passage/ milestone. Even my teen child could see this was about Mummy bragging as much as the child. Meanwhile one of my kids is eating up her higher degree ( Allow me my moment of Mummy bragging) But this cuts no ice against a “ mission” with TBM’s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 04:52AM

Posted by: Roger Connery ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 09:29AM

I suppose it is similar to college admissions. To be fair, the letter does decide where a missionary goes and there is a big difference between Alabama, Alberta and Argentina.

The letter tells you where two of your formative years will be spent. Even if you don't agree with the religion, it's a big deal.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 10:45PM

Roger Connery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if you don't agree with
> the religion, it's a big deal.

Knowing that it is just part of an indoctrination process. Accomplishes nothing of real value that couldn't be gained in more productive ways.
Risks the life and safety of a teen for nothing.
Will probably bring future stress and misery to the people you "help."
And is all to keep the money flowing upstream. Makes it just a big eye rolling manifestation of cult behavior when I see it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:25AM

Roger Connery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... there is a big difference between Alabama, Alberta and Argentina.
>

There is also a big similarity. They all start - and end - with an a.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 09:54AM

Mission call opening live streams are almost as lame as gender reveal parties.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 10:19AM

We're happy for you, and know it's a big deal in your circle, but what the hey?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 11:53AM

This to me is reason for gratitude, that your kids were not raised to believe opening a mission call was more meaningful than opening a college acceptance letter.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 11:56AM

I don't know how to explain it but I suspect that more Mormon kids are attracted to missions as their world becomes more secular. It seems now a way to show your commitment to the church.

Unfortunately just promising all that you have and your very life isn't enough.

Try explaining the temple rituals to non-Mormon people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 11:56AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 01:11PM

Many of us opened that letter (it's really a giant manila envelope with a packet of information) by ourselves with little fanfare.

My folks were relieved that I was being sent stateside, then my Mom secretly met with her insurance agent and ordered additional policies for imminent death and possible dismemberment.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:05PM

I guess God doesn’t always answer prayers. Where’s a serial killer when you really need one?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 03:26PM

Coming home is a big hoopla too. Balloons, congratulation signs strung up on houses There are lights,cake,talk of a future wedding and girls to date.

At least that is what goes on in Utah.

Posted by: Adam the Warrior ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 03:40PM

All of it is and was very bizarre to myself. The whole charade of it all.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 03:44PM

Social Media has made being an attention whore available to the masses. Accomplishment is not the goal, the spotlight is. Any accomplishment will do. Even scoring that hard to get Mission call-- available to only tens of thousands a month. Harder to get one than win the lottery. Oh, wait . . .

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 06:28PM

One behavior that is both bizarre and annoying is that the parents of missionaries (at least in Utah), tie yellow ribbons on their trees, fences, and street signs when a missionary is back home.
This is, of course, only for the most worthy returnees.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:19PM

Weren't both the story and the song that sprung from it about someone returning home after a stint in prison? I can see the parallels between a mission and a prisons sentence, but I didn't realize TBMs were recognizing it.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:22AM

The story of the song -

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/story-behind-the-song/2018/11/09/tie-yellow-ribbon-tony-orlando-dawn-l-russell-brown/1895280002/

It became associated with people returning home from Viet Nam. It was later used for other military deployments.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:39AM

But it says in the lyrics that he just did a three years stretch and that if she won’t take him back, it’d be the same as staying in prison.

And everyone knows that the female he’s singing about is his mom . . .

Right?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 01:43AM

I read that, too, Susan. The protagonist was a soldier from Pennsylvania who did time in an Andersonville military prison. I wouldn't think members of the one true church would go out of their way to equate voluntary missions with prison, military or otherwise.

I've always despised the kitschy melody.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 05:14AM

My guess is there are very very few that have ever researched it. Research just ain't a thing LDSInc is big on. Most things are monkey see, monkey do. I have never been a fan of the song either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.