Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 01:05PM

I was talking to my exmo friend today who lives in the LA, north of Shreveport. I told her about the city fireworks display we went to last night and how many other cities in Utah were doing it (in place of personal fireworks this year).

She laughed. She is going to her city fireworks display tonight...you know, on the actual 4th of July!

Is this "avoid Sunday recreating" just a Utah thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 02:25PM

Seems to be a Utah thing but I could be wrong.

When I was a kid the extended family would come over and we would set up chairs on the lawn and watch the fireworks show taking place at Derks Field. The view was wonderful since I lived two blocks from Derks Field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derks_Field

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 02:31PM

I believe the banks in utah are closed monday.
I believe a lot of business are celebrating on monday.
There are fireworks schedule in some towns for monday as well as activities in the parks.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 03:19PM

Here is the Olympia area of Washington, Lacey City had fireworks last night, 7/3, Tumwater will be tonight.

Olympia usually has fireworks at the end of Lakefair, a community celebration during the second week of July. Lakefair was canceled last year and this year because of COVID.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 04, 2021 05:13PM

From experience, I know that Alexandria, VA used to do theirs on a different day so as not to compete with DC’s fireworks.

I suspect that’s vastly more common than Utah’s sabbath fireworks avoidance.

Tyson

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 05, 2021 04:00PM

Now it extends to the flags that are planted in people's yards. I thought it odd that there were none out yesterday on the 4th.

But, this morning, on the 5th...there they are..in their ragged faded glory, and the day after the actually holiday.

GAG!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 06, 2021 08:46PM

but this ward had flags yesterday. I heard them pounding them in. I always wonder "what is that sound?" and then I remember, but I was thinking the same thing. Why didn't they put the flags in on Saturday sometime and leave them in overnight 1 or 2 nights if necessary, but put them in Monday?

Everything in Hyrum was Monday. I don't know when they were done at USU, probably Saturday. I prefer to watch from a distance, although I have dogs who are afraid of fireworks and so I spend my time with the TV turned up and anything on that I can to keep them from getting too stressed out. They usually run downstairs. All my neighbors do fireworks--ALL OF THEM--LOUD ONES. My boyfriend's last dog (who passed away in January) was terrified of fireworks. She always wanted me to save her and she was a large long-haired German Shepherd. I get weary of all the fireworks.

But, yes, Utah doesn't celebrate on the actual day. But the neighbors do find a reason to light them on Sunday and Monday and Saturday and . . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.