Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Schopenhauer's Coat ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 10:25AM

When you talk of god(s), I am reminded about the old quotation from Groucho Marx:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

There is no reading in hell:- it's dark there and all the books get burned.

Ask yourself this: is God really your bestie, and if not why not? Is God ignoring you because you watch P'hub or does God think you are ugly and worthless?

Dr. Chaka Khan, the world's foremost expert on cosmological theology and funk theory says:

"Einstein says God does not play dice with the universe, in fact it is well known God disapproves of all forms of gambling. Science says all things must be reproducible in a laboratory, and that is why I am trying to turn myself into an omnipotent superbeing who will control the entire universe in order to test this hypothesis."

Plotinus, when asked about this question said:

"Being is desirable because it is identical with Beauty, and Beauty is loved because it is Being. We ourselves possess Beauty when we are true to our own being; ugliness is in going over to another order; knowing ourselves, we are beautiful; in self-ignorance, we are ugly."

In other words, Plotinus says your ugliness is the real problem. Furthermore, Plotinus advocates plastic surgery for ugly people so God will pay attention:

"Withdraw into yourself and look. And if you do not find yourself beautiful yet, act as does the creator of a statue that is to be made beautiful: he cuts away here, he smoothes there, he makes this line lighter, this other purer, until a lovely face has grown upon his work."

Hinduism says there are six million gods. Which will you choose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 13, 2021 01:34PM

I was raised Hindu/Vedanta, at the Southern California Vedanta Society in Hollywood (the white temple which overlooks the Hollywood freeway, directly across the freeway from the Capitol Records tower, so you can see both at the same moment as you are passing by between them).

I don't know where the "six" million figure came from, but if you Google: "Does Hinduism say there are six million gods?," you will discover that, in some respects, this is a low-ball number.

From being brought up in Hinduism, and going to what amounted to Vedanta "Sunday school" in this seriously intellectual philosophy--when I was growing up, this was the "in" place for local intellectuals of many different kinds, and also entertainment industry people, to gather--I know that the individual gods are considered to be individual aspects of a single, unified, God/God-force which we, with our present biological human brains, are incapable of fully understanding... so in order to at least approach understanding, each person selects their own access to the [in actuality] single and unified God through the comprehensible multitude of the different individual aspects of God.

When I was growing up, my choice was Ganesh (the "elephant god" who is actually a real, human, little boy whose head, the human original of which had been accidentally cut off, was replaced with the head of an elephant who had been passing by as this accident occurred, who volunteered his elephant head to save the little boy's life). Ganesh[a] is still my favorite Hindu god.

All of the "Hindu gods" are different aspects of unified/singular "God," parsed into aspects so humans can understand the vastly infinite incomprehensible.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 03:38PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 17, 2021 12:00AM

sounds legit *LOL*

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 17, 2021 12:06AM

Nicely done.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 12:21PM

>... if you do not find yourself beautiful yet, act as does the creator of a statue that is to be made beautiful: he cuts away here, he smoothes there, he makes this line lighter, this other purer, until a lovely face has grown upon his work."
>

This isn't plastic surgery... it's SOUL SURGERY.

> Hinduism says there are six million gods. Which will you choose?

It chooses me
I have no choice

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 02:20PM

Six million gods? Isn't that about how many exalted Mormons there were before Elohim cancelled that whole become-a-god-get-a-planet program?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 12:45PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.