Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 10:02AM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/21/alaska-assistant-attorney-general-twitter-far-right?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1626869697

LDS assistant attorney general in Alaska posted racist and antisemitic tweets. He has gone by the twitter handle @JReubenClark. DEZNAT exposed. The racist cult, within the cult.

HH =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 10:27AM

What a delightful individual! :/

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 11:22AM

#DEZNAT - When regular Mormonism just isn't stupid enough for you.

Date: July 21, 2021 11:24AM

In all seriousness, this is going to expose J. Ruben Clark's racism to a much larger audience and put a lot of pressure on the church and BYU to remove his name from the school.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 11:34AM

I disagree. I think it will stimulate a new revelation of some sort as a distraction. But we'll see.

Date: July 21, 2021 01:02PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I disagree. I think it will stimulate a new
> revelation of some sort as a distraction. But
> we'll see.

Or they will kill two birds with one stone and announce a "revelation" to change the name of the law school.

Posted by: Kashmer ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 12:27AM

alsd Wrote:
> slskipper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I disagree. I think it will stimulate a new
> > revelation of some sort as a distraction. But
> > we'll see.
>
> Or they will kill two birds with one stone and
> announce a "revelation" to change the name of the
> law school.

Bingo!!! We have a winner!!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:17AM

.......or even better, remove the even more problematic name Brigham Young from the school !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJg7x8V3k4c

BTW, the Book of MORmON church has had a definite problem for a very long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kVup1EWVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhJevwsaqM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 01:02PM

#DEEZNUTSinGs

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 11:33AM

"...Matthias Cicotte, whose job means he works as the chief corrections counsel."

Is this an editor's mistake, or have journalists lost the ability to write a concise sentence any more?

Anyway, TSCC will simply ignore this this or "The good name of JRC has been defamed by extremists who are not members in good standing of our organization."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 01:33PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> Anyway, TSCC will simply ignore this this or "The good name of JRC has been defamed by extremists who are not members in good standing of our organization."

That's my take too.

I wonder if the church PR manipulators might try to get journalists to make some kind of statement that he is not associated with them and not to confuse the name of BYU's Law school. More likely they will just ignore this and hope it goes away.

The problem is, they have the Mike Lee BYU connection and Captain Moroni (pleural for moron) that have already damaged the public's view of Mormonism.

IMO, the church needs to publicly repudiate and apologize for their racist past and doctrine. They are trying to play both sides and it is a bad look. It's not going down the memory hole.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 02:09PM

> IMO, the church needs to publicly
> repudiate and apologize for their
> racist past and doctrine.

Yeah! They should do it at BYU, as part of the ceremony changing the name of the University to Deseret State Technical & Religious School.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 02:14PM

dagny Wrote:
> The problem is, they have the Mike Lee BYU
> connection and Captain Moroni (pleural for moron)
> that have already damaged the public's view of
> Mormonism.

"Pleural?" You mean the guy had COVID too?

My Gawd!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 03:04PM

No, Moroni didn't have covid. He was definitely fluvial.

Date: July 21, 2021 03:16PM

You are SUCH a nerd. I love it!

Date: July 21, 2021 04:02PM

Haha! That's good!

That will teach me to try proof reading better.

Date: July 21, 2021 04:16PM

Not to worry, Dagny. If you put 10 million genius monkeys in a room with typewriters, sooner or later one will write pleural instead of plural. . .

I think I like the ambiguity in that statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 04:16PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 04:22PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> If you put 10 million genius
> monkeys in a room with typewriters, sooner or
> later one will write pleural instead of plural. .

Only if they learn to type.

And only if there are 10 million typewriters left in this advanced world. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 04:24PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 06:00PM

Nightingale Wrote:
>
> And only if there are 10 million typewriters left
> in this advanced world. :)

Sorry, I may have helped contribute to the problem of typewriter scarcity.

And I need to check on the typing monkeys, they've been on my case about reviewing their script for "Hamlet."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 06:10PM

The typing monkeys. LOL

I guess they could share and then they wouldn't need 10 million machines. But that would decrease the output as not all 10M could work at the same time.

I know I'm getting silly. But it's been a crazy day and it ain't over yet. It's good to laugh.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 12:10PM

Maybe he has pleurisy.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 02:59PM

I’m embarrassed for my son having Brigham Young’s name on his diploma.

How does anybody hire them ?

Date: July 21, 2021 03:17PM

Having been on hiring/search committees, at least in my experience, having a degree from BYU carries about as much negative cachet in the Midwest as having a degree from Washington and Lee University (yes, named after that Lee). Which is to say, basically none. We routinely got applicants where one of their degrees was from BYU. I never heard a snarky remark about the applicants, though my exMo-ness was generally known.

I can see where having a degree from J Reuben Clark Law School could be a problem, though there are probably plenty of groups who consider Reuben a visionary rather than a racist.

Date: July 21, 2021 03:18PM

No kidding.

I remember trying to hide my mission on my resume. Eventually enough time had passed to eliminate the entry altogether.

In your son's case, I'd run off and get another degree to put higher on the resume. That's probably a good idea personally as well as professionally.

Who wants to be branded as part of the Mormon herd?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 21, 2021 05:53PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> No kidding.

>
> In your son's case, I'd run off and get another
> degree to put higher on the resume. That's
> probably a good idea personally as well as
> professionally.

Luckily, he’s well employed now; but, yes, that’s what I was thinking, too. :)

Date: July 30, 2021 01:58PM

I learned to mention it with humor in interviews. I'd say, "Don't hold it against me. My parents made me go there." I might even work in a humorous anecdote about how I had to augment topics I felt were inadequate in my education (such as evolution).

When I interviewed people applying for jobs, I have to admit I was skeptical of the ones who had degrees from "Bible Colleges." Some of these "colleges" were small and located in strip malls or with churches located in the South. I questioned their critical thinking because a science pharmaceutical environment is not a place where "God did it" is helpful. I wasn't wrong in a few cases but others surprised me and compartmentalized their religious nonsense. I can't blame people hiring for wondering what impact a degree from BYU might have. It's not like you can ask if they are capable of thinking outside their religion in an interview.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 09:03PM

I felt the same way about having to put my mission on my resume until finally it dropped off as old information. I am just glad I didn't go to BYU. Academic degrees tend to stay on your resume forever.

That could be especially awkward after leaving the church because officially, religion is off-limits as a topic of discussion in job interviews. But there is the knowing knod when a church member sees BYU on a job-seeker's resume. So if you want to be completely honest, you would almost be forced to volunteer that you've left the church. Maybe with the right person and with some humor, one could pull it off tastefully. Or they might realize you're an apostate and you don't get the job. Then again, you would be in your rights to just say nothing about it and deal with any fallout later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2021 09:13PM by azsteve.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 28, 2021 05:50PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/07/28/embattled-attorney-under/

"Alaska’s embattled assistant attorney general, who was being investigated for reportedly using a #DezNat Twitter handle to post homophobic, antisemitic, sexist and racist comments on the social media platform, is no longer with the state’s Department of Law, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

A spokeswoman for the department told the paper that Matthias Cicotte’s last day was Tuesday but declined to say whether he resigned or was fired."

Date: July 28, 2021 06:56PM

And not only was the now ex-assistant AG a J Reuben Clark Law graduate, so was the AG hisself. He issued a "we are appalled" statement, saying the tweets in no way reflect the values of the government of the state of Alaska, nor the Attorney General's office.

Posted by: Vortigern ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 10:12AM

>@JReubenClark

No. That's not Matthias Cicotte’s Twitter handle. Please delete your post so that this innocent man isn't harassed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 04:50AM

It won’t affect the church much. It would have to be someone high up in the church leadership with massive news coverage to affect the church. This will disappear and most people have no idea it even happened. There is so much divide and conquer and name calling right now most people just tune it out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.