Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 10:15PM

Slate investigated a "BYU Virginity Club" to see if it was legitimate, or some sort of elaborate joke.

Their writing style and presentation of the data drove me up a wall, so I didn't read it very closely. As far as I could tell, some students may take it seriously, but it appears to be at least tongue-in-cheek, if not an outright joke.

It's not a very long article, so for your entertainment and another reason to roll your eyes WRT BYU:

https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/brigham-young-university-virginity-club-byuvirgin-instagram-interview.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 22, 2021 10:31PM

It's a joke.

And by mormon standards, not at all elaborate.

No way does it reach mormon elaborate joke standards, when you compare it to the temple ceremony or the plan of salvation.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 08:48PM

welp ~

ziller can confirm this thred ~

there was a "virginity club" at byu ~

until ziller joined ~

now they just call it "the club" ~

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:19AM

All of BYU is a Virginity Club before marriage.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 08:11AM

Freshman girls in our dorm had a "FCATA" club. First Kiss At The Altar. They began only at BYU, and didn't count high school kisses. Each time you kissed a guy, you were put at the bottom of the list. As the year progressed, and the rules changed for each time you kissed a NEW guy. I was happy to say "no" to the BYU guys, until 3 months into my freshman year, when I met a Canadian hockey player. We dated only each other, so he was not a "new" guy, so I stayed pretty high up on the list.

The "Virgin Club" was in a different dorm, and the guys used to call it the "Liars Club", but--surprise, surprise--BYU girls were able to skillfully resist the Mormon guys (ugh). Sorry, but arrogant, chauvinistic bullies were not my type. I'm sure there were nicer boys at BYU, but I met only the most assertive ones.

Actually, the girls I knew well were serious about the Virgin Club and the FKATA club. I doubt if they would have told the truth if they had slipped up, because of the temple threat, and they believed that the BYU boys wanted a virgin wife. (The Truth was, they really didn't care, as long as you were sexy and provided money.)

I remember that several of the dorm girls were on The Pill, and they bragged about it. This horrified the freshman girls, and we would pull pranks on them. After two years of playing and skiing, I transfered out to the U of Utah, to get a real education. For me, BYU was a waste of time.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 02:49PM

My aunts tell me there was a Virgin Lips Club at Provo High in the 1970s.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 09:31AM

Then there's the old legend of West Wendover marriages for a weekend of sex, followed by a Utah divorce soon after. Or is that "West Bendover?"

Posted by: BoydKPeckerChecker ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 02:27PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then there's the old legend of West Wendover
> marriages for a weekend of sex, followed by a Utah
> divorce soon after. Or is that "West Bendover?"

It was real. 1960's I knew a number who did this. Not just for a weekend - but for months til they tired of each other and then a quickie divorce and a new partner. If they were caught - "We're Married" would cover it.

One I knew had at least 7 marriages this way. Don't think the woman he finally did the Temple Marriage with knew about any of them.

Later the church pushed Nevada authorities to change the laws on quickie divorces.

Date: July 24, 2021 07:27AM

I'm not buying it.

Unless one of the people involved already was a resident of Nevada, a "quickie" divorce took 6 months to establish residency. Most states required a year or more, and many states also had waiting periods on top of the residency requirement, so 6 months was quick, in comparison.

And then you have to get a lawyer, and a court date, and blah blah blah. It's not like you could get a divorce decree out of a vending machine.

ETA: somebody may have claimed to have done that. Divorce records are public records. I'd look up the records on those supposed 7 (or more) quickie divorces. Sounds like bragging to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2021 07:30AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 12:01PM

Actually according to and thanks to one of my aquaintances there isn't a virgin left on campus

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 06:08PM

They should rename it,”The Loophole Club”

Or the “Fock Me In The Ass Cuz I Love Jesus” Club

https://youtu.be/rjjh9PML8tE

Date: July 24, 2021 07:38AM

The Garfunkel and Oates song is hilarious. A lot of their songs are hilarious.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:34PM

Ah--FKATA! When I was a Jr. Gleaner our leader told us about FKATA. I didn't know it was a real club. She was at the U of U and would tell guys she went out with but didn't particularly want to kiss that she belonged to this club.

So fast forward a few years. I'm at the U and I accept a date with a guy who wanted to be seen as a--what did we call them back then? I only agreed because it was going to be a double date for the Winter Carnival or something like that and my friend, who had recently transferred to the U, hadn't had a date yet. My date's friend really liked her so I agreed to the double date thing.

So I told my date I belonged to FKATA. He believed me.It was hilarious. I should tell you that this was because we all belonged to Lambda Delta Sigma. Actually, I think my date was relieved because I don't think he had the experience to match the public image he wanted to convey. He was only a freshman and I was a sophomore.

Problem with being a sophomore Mormon girl--all the decent guys my age had gone on a mission, leaving us with only the too young or too old, or the guys who for some reason couldn't accept a call.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 12:04AM

If there is a virginity club at BYU, it stands as an indictment of EOD's abilities.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 02:35AM

Thank you for not featuring it as an inability.

But I did get engaged and married at the Y while remaining in a reconstructed virginal state.

I do not recommend remaining chaste prior to marriage.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 12:55AM

Provo soak

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 07:55AM

Those times are long past judging by the vids you see at YBU raves these days.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 02:11PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those times are long past judging by the vids you
> see at YBU raves these days.

I THOUGHT that was you at the party, Susan!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.