Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jacko Mo Mo ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 04:38PM

I mean if something is so true why do people have to keep reminding themselves and others that it is true, over and over again. The force of gravity is true, the sky is blue at noon on a clear day is true, that some birds can fly is true, but you don't hear people incessantly droning on about time and time again. The way many people seem to regularly proclaim various religious "truths" actually hurts their arguments.

Switching subjects, when was a child and learned that Jesus Christ's body was found missing after the stone was rolled back, I was like Duh! Somebody took it. The stone still being in place and after much effort by many people it was rolled out of the way, whereby Jesus Christ's body was gone would be a little more compelling, but would still remain a sketchy claim to the supernatural.

Unusual claims requires unusual evidence, is very useful statement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 06:42PM

Agree.

Repetition works well to ingrain memes like that into the brain. If you hear and parrot that Jesus lives and JS is a prophet all the time, the neuron pathway in the brain for that meme becomes strong. It becomes the "go to" thought. Facts have little to do with it.

Everyone has heard that if you repeat something enough, people believe it. We've also heard that the more outrageous the claim, the more people will believe it. It's no coincidence this kind of thinking thrives in religion, politics, conspiracy types, etc. where scientific questioning is not encouraged.



I had that thought about the stone at the tomb too. If people rolled it to stick him in there and people rolled it away, it wasn't that big of a deterrent. The myth story is outrageous anyway, so the stone part fits right in!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 07:42PM

The neurons of a similar type band together to form neuron chains which band together to form ganglion which band together to form ganglionic chains which band together to form a response repertory which then totally dominates the thought and reasoning process.
Cut to the chase The more I hammer it the more it is implanted in your mind and the less power you have to overide it
Jack Mo MO we are in agreement



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 07:46PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 08:43PM

True. I like to think of it this way:

Once the neuron pathway is well established, it is easy for thoughts to flow down that road and correlate. It's kind of like taking the freeway which is easy and fast instead of a back road. To consider new points of view and get new ideas, you might have to get those lesser used roads involved. This happens by exposing yourself to new information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 06:57PM

I was at a mormon family function over the weekend, and there were prayers over the meals, a church function opening and closing prayer, a 'dedicate the grave' prayer and a 'bless these fine potatoes' prayer... (oh, and they were soooo good! And so was the jello!)

All but one ended with a mumbled, generic "in Jesus' name, amen". They put the capital P in perfunctory. I don't think they were at all thinking about Jesus and his intercession on their behalf, that their sins might be washed away in his atoning blood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 07:14PM

Ultimately, what's more important: the possibility of future forgiveness or a mess of pottage here and now?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 30, 2021 07:33PM

It isn't just the mormons, but all Christianity can't seem to find much to talk about, they drone on and on all about the same subject explaining the same 'give your life to jesus' there's not much else to say, but what's even worse is how the catholics do it.

'Holy Mary mother of Gawd bless us now and at the time of our death '
'Holy Mary mother of Gawd bless us now and at the time of our death '
'Holy Mary mother of Gawd bless us now and at the time of our death '
'Holy Mary mother of Gawd bless us now and at the time of our death '
'Holy Mary mother of Gawd bless us now and at the time of our death '

now say that 40 more times dagnabit!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 03:05PM

There is empirical evidence that the man known as Jesus of Nazareth actually lived.
He violated Roman law and was executed.
That is where the hard evidence stops. There is no verifiable evidence of any resurrection.
It is all based on legend and annals.
Therefore I find it somewhat doubtful that Joe Jr saw or talked to anybody as he claimed.
As for the Book of Mormon? It is a poorly written heavily plagiarized 19th century work of fiction



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 03:06PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 03:28PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He violated Roman law and was executed.

There is no hard evidence for that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 03:30PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He violated Roman law and was executed.
>
> There is no hard evidence for that.
I disagree with you and I wil atempt to secure the evidence.
If I cannot then I will apologize

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 04:26PM

No worries about disagreeing. Ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 10:41AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 05:33PM

I agree with LW. Roman law in the person of Pilate saw no fault in Jesus but he weakly bowed to the pressure of the Sanhedrin who played on his fear that freeing him might cause trouble. The washing of his hands symbolized that he, and Roman law through him, wanted no responsibility for Jesus' death.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 05:38PM

Might I suggest, too, that seemingly endless implied suggestions that believers are somehow intellectually deficient, brainless, brainwashed, or just plain stupid mighty just fit the bill also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 07:20PM

The purpose of repeating your testimony is exactly the same as the repeated declarations of the magnificence of the Emperor's Restored, er, New Clothes. You will be too intimidated to admit the obvious if you think the whole tribe disagrees with you.


I wonder how ChurchCo will handle the next Priesthood lesson on the importance of always having access to properly consecrated oil, after the pandemic has repeatedly demonstrated that consecrated oil is not worth bupkis. ivermectin, OTOH, appears to be worth at least two and a quarter bupkises

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 08:33PM

The reason I believe that Jesus rose from the dead goes like this.
He appeared to the 11 remaining apostles and about 120 other followers over a period of 40 days. See 1st chapter of Acts.

Of the 11 apostles, only John did not die a horrible death.

Given the choice of a hugely suffering death or recanting, none

of them recanted. John was thrown into a big pot of boiling

oil which did not kill him, so he was exiled to the isle of

Patmos where he wrote the Book of Revelation.

If it was all a joke or a hoax, you would think that someone

would have confessed the scam before being fed to lions in the

arena.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 08:42PM

Haha. Good one. Using the Bible as proof of the Bible! I love that kind of understated humor. Hahahah Ha!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 09:07PM

By that logic, the BoM must be true, since it said it would be translated by a man named Joseph. And none of the eight witnesses ever recanted, except those that did. And the horse Buraq transported Muhammed to heaven and back.

As for John and the pot of oil - have you ever tried deep fat frying in the nude?

Oh, and I am Groot.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 09:07PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 10:43PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and I am Groot.

"Groot?" The second vowel is an "O" too? Then I've been misspelling your name!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 02:07AM

People proclaim on a name because
They don't have one themselves

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 10:34AM

Hitch your wagon to a star? That is exactly what the proclamations are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 04:03PM

I one time closed a talk in Sacrament meeting without saying"in the name of" and I was severely chastised for doing so

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 04:54PM

I'm sure I put those keys in my pocket. Let me check again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In


Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  ******   ********  ********   *******   **     ** 
 **    **     **     **        **     **   **   **  
 **           **     **               **    ** **   
 **           **     ******     *******      ***    
 **           **     **               **    ** **   
 **    **     **     **        **     **   **   **  
  ******      **     ********   *******   **     **